Best old & inexpensive truck?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
haha...:)

Nope, Richmond Performance Center.

Chuck Reicart runs the place. He used to build Pro Stock engines. Pretty smart feller.:givebeer:

I called about the ford. He said that the engine is a 360 V8 Small Block with about 45-50K miles on it since the rebuild. He said that the tranny & transfer case are both stock. The only thing he's had a problem with over the past 6 years he's owned it is the points needed to be replaced.

I asked about the brakes. He said that he put on new brakes about a year and a half ago. The brake work that needs to be done is the Wheel Cylinder needs to be replaced as it is leaking brake fluid. He said the pedal will currently go to the floor.

Well, how does that sound? How big of a job is replacing a wheel cylinder? :confused:

Thanks again for all the help guys!

I called about the ford. He said that the engine is a 360 V8 Small Block with about 45-50K miles on it since the rebuild. He said that the tranny & transfer case are both stock. The only thing he's had a problem with over the past 6 years he's owned it is the points needed to be replaced.

I asked about the brakes. He said that he put on new brakes about a year and a half ago. The brake work that needs to be done is the Wheel Cylinder needs to be replaced as it is leaking brake fluid. He said the pedal will currently go to the floor.

Well, how does that sound? How big of a job is replacing a wheel cylinder? :confused:

Wheel cylinder is cake. Assuming the lines aren't rotted out. Maybe a 1hr job with someone to help you bleed the brakes.

Probably $50 in parts total.

Agree with peacock, wheel cylinder an easy fix, I think those years might have had drum brakes in the front also. Not that big of a deal. Points are an easy deal though finding people to fix them is getting tougher. They are very simple though.And a 360 is the same design as the 390 motor I wouldn't call it a small block, not at all. Good motor.

Hey Guys, thanks again.

I took a look at it today. http://cosprings.craigslist.org/car/658577239.html
The underside actually looks pretty good to my untrained/inexperienced eye except that it is leaking gear oil from two places. I think its coming from the rear differential and either the xfer case or the transmission.

Neither are particularly fast leaks. The front one doesn't even have a spot on the ground. The rear leak is a bit faster. I wasn't able to hear the engine running or see it as the owner wasn't available at the time. Inside the cab are a few cosmetic issues with a jerry rigged handle for the shifters, which I'd consider minor.

There is more rust on the body than I expected but on the front right is a spot that has more severe rust. I couldn't put my finger through it or anything.

I've heard that the xfer cases are expensive to replace. Is that true?

Today I looked again on Craigslist and found a 73 highboy available as well. http://cosprings.craigslist.org/car/662460691.html
Would it be better to get the '73 if it is in comparable or better condition considering that I'll need to buy tires & do brake work on it?

Other possibilities are:

1986 F-150 http://denver.craigslist.org/car/661984957.html
This guy says it can go places most 4x4s can't go. How would that be possible?

1978 Ford f-150 http://cosprings.craigslist.org/car/661433492.html
I'm not sure if this is 4wd or not...

1974 Chevy 454 "1974 chevy 454 turbo tranny run and drives good strong motor nice wheels and tires"

Advice is appreciated. :D

Hey Guys, thanks again.

Today I looked again on Craigslist and found a 73 highboy available as well. http://cosprings.craigslist.org/car/662460691.html
Would it be better to get the '73 if it is in comparable or better condition considering that I'll need to buy tires & do brake work on it?

Other possibilities are:

Advice is appreciated. :D

They are not too bad around here, a good NP205 can be found quite easily for around $100 or less. Just be sure to check it out and make sure the shafts aren't all whipped out if you ever have to get one.

I'll tell you how it's possible - that guy is a FILTHY LIAR!!!! I wouldn't buy that truck just for the fact the owner is delusional.

And, IMO you may want to take a look at that 73. It looks really good in the pics and $800 is a good price.
I can't get over how good the bodies look on those old Colorado Fords! Here in Michigan we often say that they come with "factory rust". Even the 02's are starting to rust out badly here - we'd never see an old one that solid unless it was never driven and kept in heated storage!!

And, IMO you may want to take a look at that 73. It looks really good in the pics and $800 is a good price.
I can't get over how good the bodies look on those old Colorado Fords! Here in Michigan we often say that they come with "factory rust". Even the 02's are starting to rust out badly here - we'd never see an old one that solid unless it was never driven and kept in heated storage!!

The '73 sounds like a good truck,we have the same problem here in our part of the rust belt :cry: ,snow and salt eats everything away.

That '73 hi-boy would have the same frame and running gear as the 71, just a different cab,either one would be great work trucks plus they sit high with lots of clearance plus they're heavy 3/4 ton trucks gvw is 8990 lbs I believe. Stay away from 1/2 ton trucks if your hauling wood and offroading it loaded unless you really beef it up, springs etc., it will never take it,been there broken springs and cracked frames suck:censored:

nope.... 12valve cummins have mechanical fuel pumps which are just about bullet proof vs 98.5-2002 with electronic VP44 = junk (fuel injection pump) stay away from 98.5-2002 cummins trucks.

this is one of the main reason why 94-98 12v are the most desirable cummins trucks. if you find a low mileage 12valve... they sell for same as a much newer cummins truck. it's not unusual to see someone sell off their 2007 CTD, only to buy back an old 12 valve cummins.

it's nothing to see a 12v cummins go 500k miles...

Ok I knew it was near the era and I now wander as I have
purchased a new Dodge 3500 any info on the new 6.7 give
me the good the bad and the ugly?

We've had a couple with bad EGR valves, but that is about it.

A couple, did it strand the owner? I traded in my superduty because
in under 50000 mile it left me on the highway stranded twice ! It infuriates me to spend 45k only to have to walk it was the EGR cooler that did it! I am trying to work on getting some of my costs of being stranded out of state back on a warranted problem and seem to be up against a wall of bs! I am thinking of getting a friggin lawyer, or going to Dearborn to personally express my feelings to the CEO!

Last edited:
in under 50000 mile it left me on the highway stranded twice ! It infuriates me to spend 45k only to have to walk it was the EGR cooler that did it! I am trying to work on getting some of my costs of being stranded out of state back on a warranted problem and seem to be up against a wall of bs! I am thinking of getting a friggin lawyer, or going to Dearborn to personally express my feelings to the CEO!

Must have been the 6.0 liter! The best diesel ford made they aborted:cry: 7.3!

7.3's and older 12v cummins are the best. I see them all the time, especially old ratty cummins, they just keep going. I worked at a campground for 3 years and saw plenty of diesels. 7.3 were the most present, then the junky 6.0, duramax and lastly cummins. Everytime I saw a 6.0, I would ask the owner how he was liking it. They either hated it or were happy with it, but waiting for it to break. Newer Cummins always seemed to have tranny problems. Personally, I like 70's and 80's ford trucks, but would be happy with a chevy or late 80's dodge for a beater truck. My ideal truck would be a 98 cummins or 99/00 7.3. Good luck with your search, I would go with one of those hi-boys if it was me. They look like they would be up to the task of halling wood.

No stranding. Just sets a light.

I left Ford about a year after the 6.0L came out. What a pile of......

I was never really all the impressed with the 7.3 either though. I've replaced a whole bunch of ICP's, IPR's, injectors, glow plugs, glow plug relays, fuel heaters, and turbo's on them. Not to mention the pile of dung 4R100/E4OD.

We don't do too much to the 12v Cummins, but the 24v and newer common rail models have some 'issues'.

No stranding. Just sets a light.

I left Ford about a year after the 6.0L came out. What a pile of......

I was never really all the impressed with the 7.3 either though. I've replaced a whole bunch of ICP's, IPR's, injectors, glow plugs, glow plug relays, fuel heaters, and turbo's on them. Not to mention the pile of dung 4R100/E4OD.

We don't do too much to the 12v Cummins, but the 24v and newer common rail models have some 'issues'.

Haha, everything on that list except turbo I've replaced, I see you didn't mention the cam position semsor they were faulty. For sure the Glow plug relay, I have to replace mine right now, I tested it last night because of the hard starts. But I didn't have to replace the tranny until 200,000 and it got used so I wasn't to upset or surprised at that.

Haha, everything on that list except turbo I've replaced, I see you didn't mention the cam position semsor they were faulty. For sure the Glow plug relay, I have to replace mine right now, I tested it last night because of the hard starts. But I didn't have to replace the tranny until 200,000 and it got used so I wasn't to upset or surprised at that.

How could I forget the cam sensor? They had about 3 different designs before they got one that lasted.

Here is my best firewood hauler and it is the best truck ever built
in my opinion. I wish I could buy a new one built the same today!

ahhhh, I smell an old bronco, a cool High boy and a real Bronco I envy you!:censored: I'm really jealous. And a nice wood hauler WTF, ford hog!!

nope.... 98.5-2002 with electronic VP44 = junk (fuel injection pump) stay away from 98.5-2002 cummins trucks.
Mine is a 2000 dodge, The first thing you need to do with them is replace the stock fuel system. I put a fass fuel system on and don't worry about it any more. I replaced 5 of them crappy lift pumps before the fass. The reason the injector pumps went bad is because the lift pumps would get weak and make the injector pump work harder. The most pressure i could get out of a stock lift pump was 14 lbs and it would fade really fast. The fass has held22 lbs for 40000 miles and will not drop below 20 at wot. There are other fuel systems now as mine is about three years old.

ahhhh, I smell an old bronco, a cool High boy and a real Bronco I envy you!:censored: I'm really jealous. And a nice wood hauler WTF, ford hog!!

The hauler is mack built r modle like in mad max! It is 81 and a million
miles hits strong as day it come off the line a very tough customer:laugh:
I guess I am kinda a ford hog but see, I buy them put too much into them
and then don't want to sell them! I keep thinking of finishing body but know
I will scratch them up if I did:hmm3grin2orange: You have not seen them
all either!

Latest posts

Back