best saw chain sharpener ??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i file with no guide i also have a bench mount granberg filing jig i use for when i want a dangerously sharp chain.
i use pferd or stihl files.
Hello jakewells: Yup; I have the granberg style file guide. I use it from time to time, as it keeps me from developing bad habits while free-hand filing. I especially like the Save Edge, and PFerd next. There is one that I've yet to try, and that is the highly tooted brand from IDAHO RIGGING called "THE BEST", in the single cut. I have its double cut.

Single Cut Round Files make fine edges. Double Cut Files re-shape the teeth quickly.
Just to make sure I said that correctly. Here is a quote from SAVE EDGE::numberone:
General File Info
There are three basic types of cuts on files
Single cut is one series of parallel teeth running diagonally across the file.
This type is used for sharpening purposes or anywhere where a
smooth finish is required.

Double cut is two series of parallel teeth running diagonally crossing each other
forming a criss cross pattern. This cut is used for rapid stock removal.

Just to make sure I said that correctly. Here is a quote from SAVE EDGE:
General File Info
I always get those two confused. Then you can have 'second cut' which means something totally different than 'double cut' (those 'bastards'!)

http://www.simondsint.com/handfiles/HAND FILES PUBLICATIONS/File Facts.pdf

http://www.nicholsontool.com/MagentoShare/media/documents/nicholson-guide-to-filing-2014.pdf

http://www.pferdusa.com/info/PDF/Chain_Saw_File_Field_Guide.pdf

Philbert

If sheckles are out of the question and you can find one, my vote is silvey. Haven't been around any other grinders, however I've seen the stihl usg in action and I think that would be my choice for round file/ground chains. But sheckles aren't in my vocab so I use the poor man grinder powered by elbow grease lol

If sheckles are out of the question and you can find one, my vote is silvey. Haven't been around any other grinders, however I've seen the stihl usg in action and I think that would be my choice for round file/ground chains. But sheckles aren't in my vocab so I use the poor man grinder powered by elbow grease lol
Woos31; if a man only has a few chains to sharpen, elbow grease is the way to go. It is so much faster, and is usually done right on the saw bar. That said, a few long chains that have good teeth that have been severely abused by using wrong size files will put a hurt on yer elbow 'Big-Time', and U'll be screaming for a powered tool to get them back in shape. I went through that with my son, and knowing, I'd probably not use one very often I settled for a low cost Northern Tool unit. I've had it about 4 years or better, and have sharpened about 20 chains. It was worth not ruining my elbow.

Pferd have all their chainsaw files offered in 'coarse' & 'smooth' cut. l have both but without checking they might be single cut/double cut like sagetown mentions. While files and good skills using them get fantastic results, l would have to say for a beginner the 511ax china knockoff at around a hundred bucks with 3 wheels and carbide dresser......well its pretty hard to beat. Those grinders were not an option for the occaisional user for many years as they retail north of $4-500 for the real deal ones. Easy to set up, easy to get good 'consistant results' where as a file is a bit like a violin, they only sound magic in the right hands, give a violin to a novice and its horrible. lf he wants to learn, the road is long. l think you can get further down the road quicker with a cheap grinder. Having said that, l learned the hard way with a file untill l got a grinder. l learned and practiced a LOT with a file.....and are still learning.

Woos31; if a man only has a few chains to sharpen, elbow grease is the way to go. It is so much faster, and is usually done right on the saw bar. That said, a few long chains that have good teeth that have been severely abused by using wrong size files will put a hurt on yer elbow 'Big-Time', and U'll be screaming for a powered tool to get them back in shape. I went through that with my son, and knowing, I'd probably not use one very often I settled for a low cost Northern Tool unit. I've had it about 4 years or better, and have sharpened about 20 chains. It was worth not ruining my elbow.
Oh yes I agree with you sage, I've only the one round filed chain and about 6 I think square. My uncle and cousin both have silvey units and they are the cat's a$$ in my opinion, and when my good chains need a tickle I head to either place. But I have or use chains often enough to "justify" a high zoot grinder other than want of the power tool lol.

Where does one purchase "The Best" files?
An AS member Icehouse on here from Idaho uses them. (the single cut). He get them at his not so local STIHL Shop. I googled STIHL in his area and hit on the right place "IDAHO RIGGING". I gave them a call, and they were very easy to deal with. Think I paid $18 per doz, but I didn't specify I wanted single cut, and ended up with the double cut. He thinks they're better than SAVE EDGE.
Single cut will come in a black box.
IMG_1307.JPG IMG_1299.JPG

I recently bought one of the Husqvarna roller guides. I wasn't too sure about it at first, but after doing a couple of sharpenings, I can do it faster than with the old Oregon flat guide I'd been using for 30 years. The Roller is nice because you can see the guide marks on the cutters while you are sharpening. I also like the file handle that comes with it. Kudos to you guys who do it free hand. I always cut in too low when I tried to do that, so I gave up on it years ago. I wouldn't recommend it for everyone, me included.

An AS member Icehouse on here from Idaho uses them. (the single cut). He get them at his not so local STIHL Shop. I googled STIHL in his area and hit on the right place "IDAHO RIGGING". I gave them a call, and they were very easy to deal with. Think I paid $18 per doz, but I didn't specify I wanted single cut, and ended up with the double cut. He thinks they're better than SAVE EDGE.
Single cut will come in a black box.
View attachment 463665 View attachment 463666
What would you take for that kissing crane??

Latest posts

Back