best saw for 25" bar new/used

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Get a 25" bar and some skip chain for that 361 and you're set. If you need a second saw for the 25" I'd go Stihl ms460, husky 372xp or a dolmar 7900. Pick your poison. :cheers:

Just $0.02 cents worth, but have am MS-361 that lives with a 16" and an MS-660 that lives with a 28"

Keeping B/C's for 20" and 36" I have not been in wood that they could not master.

Edit: Make that 0.04 cents worth,,,,

Hearing a lot about Dalmars,,,, bars readily exchange from 361' - 660' and back,,,, Cheating the '3-saw' plan.

Last edited:
Just $0.02 cents worth, but have am MS-361 that lives with a 16" and an MS-660 that lives with a 28"

Keeping B/C's for 20" and 36" I have not been in wood that they could not master.

Is there that much difference between the 16" and 20" to switch back and forth rather than just leaving the 20" on it?

Is there that much difference between the 16" and 20" to switch back and forth rather than just leaving the 20" on it?

In a word , yes,,,,,,

A lot, most of the cutting I do is at what some would call extreme altitude, not robbing any extra power is important. The 16" rev's a lot faster.

For me, were the 16" 361 really excels (literally) is popping the slash off small enough to not need a chipper and stihl make the job look good.

Everything needs to lay lower then 6" for fire mitigation work, and developers want things to look groomed when your done,,,,,, the 16" bar feels like a star wars light saber on a 361 and is a fine tool for a good job.

Blocking stuff bigger then pulp wood, but smaller then saw-logs (+16"-24" stuff) the 20" is all right on a 361 at altitude, but you will find yourself reaching for the 660 a lot, and every time there are two lined up that you can block at once.

get a 460 is if u where getting a 440/41 - why not get the 460 instead.. more power /wt in same area!

ps: Troll - what is the stock spocket on a 361?? and if not a 8 - them what does the 8 do with a 16" bar.. "seroius question" .. now for #2 ??

ps2: Troll - how much gas is needed for a small 150' redwood with a 70" base and tappering to a 30" top.. how many cords and how long finish the job.. just u and your #1 saw!! :cry:

get a 460 is if u where getting a 440/41 - why not get the 460 instead.. more power /wt in same area!

ps: Troll - what is the stock spocket on a 361?? and if not a 8 - them what does the 8 do with a 16" bar.. "seroius question" .. now for #2 ??

ps2: Troll - how much gas is needed for a small 150' redwood with a 70" base and tappering to a 30" top.. how many cords and how long finish the job.. just u and your #1 saw!! :cry:

Some would say the 441 has a lot wider power band,,,, and the gentlemen wanted to ask the question regarding new and used saws,,,,,there are a trillion 044/440's out there that fit his bill.

Troll is a quality poster, long standing member here, it seems you are badgering him with your question, I appoligise if you are not! :cheers:

But most people that would cut 150' x 70" Redwood would not be looking to block it into firewood, and would be asking how many Board-Feet it would have, not cords?

Welcome to the site!

Standard is 7-pin, and what I have used with the 18" bar so far - but the 15" one really shines for limbing and bucking with an 8-pin.....

That is with a stock German made saw, that has a tad more power than the US ones - but just a tad.

Well

I think it's between a used 460 or a dolmar.. If I could find a good used dolmar that would lean me that way??

If all u loggers are talking good about the dolmar it only makes another wonder?? Besides - I will never kill either or come close to wearing one out...
Just what a saw with a bigger bar so I don't have to make 2 cuts and that has a little more power then a 361 for larger mesquite or oak trunks.. so I can cut them take them off myself for bonefires..

Now that I have a saw I find myself looking for wood to cut for the hell of it! Can only wonder if I get a woods port.. Gee - house next door looks good to cut up.

But most people that would cut 150' x 70" Redwood would not be looking to block it into firewood, and would be asking how many Board-Feet it would have, not cords?

Welcome to the site!

Gosh I would hope so! Got too be a few saw logs in that baby? Not worth much as firewood. I 'd be asking BF/Picnic tables.:hmm3grin2orange:

Well I am sorry!

I was only kidding... and maybe I should keep things simple until some know me.. I usually don't do that at first. Sometimes it hard being new.. and I really must say that saws have somehow gotten under my skin... I can only see myself having more then a few... and not all the same brand..

Now I did have a question sometime ago on the 441 and torq. band... but somehow it go lost in post and I never ask it again. (not here)

So a honest question would be then for light use and if getting a used stihl.. the 441 would be a good one then maybe thw 460??

sorry again!

Latest posts

Back