Best Saw for $400-$500?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

klr

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hey All,

I have one of those “What saw to get?” questions. I have a Husky 36 and cut about 5 cords of firewood a year, but need to cut at least twice as much. I have about $400 to spend but could dig up another $100 if needed. I looked at the Stihls at my local dealer and it looks like the MS 290 Farm Boss is in my price range. I haven’t been to a Husky dealer yet, but I checked online and it looks like the 455 Rancher is comparable. Adding $100 will get me a Husky 346 XP, but I’m not sure what’s comparable on the Stihl side. Will either/any of these saws be enough for my use, or should I look for something else? I'm cutting hardwood in Ohio.

Any input will be appreciated.

You haven't told us what kind of wood you normally cut buuut.....

If I were spending your money I would go with the Stihl MS310 w/20" B&C.....
If you truly can afford to go to the $500.00 range I'd go with the MS390/20" B&C. ;)

Of course you have been getting it done with the little 36 so I'd say you'd be just overjoyed with an MS260 if you wanted to step up into the "Pro Saw" catagory. :cheers:

Hey All,

I have one of those “What saw to get?” questions. I have a Husky 36 and cut about 5 cords of firewood a year, but need to cut at least twice as much. I have about $400 to spend but could dig up another $100 if needed. I looked at the Stihls at my local dealer and it looks like the MS 290 Farm Boss is in my price range. I haven’t been to a Husky dealer yet, but I checked online and it looks like the 455 Rancher is comparable. Adding $100 will get me a Husky 346 XP, but I’m not sure what’s comparable on the Stihl side. Will either/any of these saws be enough for my use, or should I look for something else? I'm cutting hardwood in Ohio.

Any input will be appreciated.

Are you felling and limbing the trees yourself, or are you just blocking delivered logs?

What size and type is the trees/logs?

If youu like stihll and have a good dealer take a look at the ms270. Under $400 and alot of guys find it to be a great firewood saw with some pro saw features.

Thanks, guys. I'm cutting hardwood in Ohio which means ash, oak, maple, cherry, hickory, locust.
I'm felling/limbing the trees myself - mostly small stuff less than 18", but I also clean up after downed trees and tops from logging and have run into some much bigger stuff.

I have a 346xp NE and a 394xp. I paid about $500 for each. One was new, one was used.

It all depends on what you want. If you don't mind shopping for a used saw, the sky is the limit in that price range.

The 346 and 5100 are very very comparable in stock form. both right at 11 pounds, both right at 4 horsepower, both have all the pro features, with the husky being about $100 more. If i were going to spend $500, I would buy the husky, If I were going to spend $400 i would buy the dolmar. just my .02

Thanks, guys. I'm cutting hardwood in Ohio which means ash, oak, maple, cherry, hickory, locust.
I'm felling/limbing the trees myself - mostly small stuff less than 18", but I also clean up after downed trees and tops from logging and have run into some much bigger stuff.

Then get a NE346xp, and add a used larger saw later if you find that you need one. I the woods the 346xp is worth the added cost over the 5100S (Stihl has no really competetive saw in that class).

...or stretch the budget to 600, and get a MS361 before they disappear from the market......

The 346 and 5100 are very very comparable in stock form. both right at 11 pounds, both right at 4 horsepower, both have all the pro features, with the husky being about $100 more. If i were going to spend $500, I would buy the husky, If I were going to spend $400 i would buy the dolmar. just my .02

Problem with the Dolmar is that it handles like a brick compared to a light saber (the much more nimble 346xp) in the woods. It also is heavier than stated.
For stationary cutting of logs it doesn't matter much though - and compared to the MS290 it is of course a dream to handle.

Last edited:
I was in your situation a few years ago. I ended with an MS310 with a 20" B/C. It really is a great saw, especially after opening up the muffler a bit. That said, if I had to do it again, I'd be looking around for a lightly used MS361.

I was in your situation a few years ago. I ended with an MS310 with a 20" B/C. It really is a great saw, especially after opening up the muffler a bit. That said, if I had to do it again, I'd be looking around for a lightly used MS361.

Now there's good advice. :clap:

A gently used 361 would be all you could ask for and more. :cheers:

Id go with the brick , I mean 5100 !!! I have no problem with the way mine handles, I can cut all day with it. To me it is a power house for the weight and its really easy to handle all day !!

MS280 w/ 18" bar 489$.

I agree. I have felled 25inch oak with my 280 and its great-it never stops. Just keep the chain sharp. I burned out my bar(almost all the paint worn off) within the first year of use. I have cut many stumps and beat the saw and still it continues to chugg along. Its not too heavy either. Stick with Stihl for serious work.

Or, of course, if you can get a 361, get the messiah of saws before its too late.

If you've cut everything so far with a 36 anything will be a revelation!!!

Dolmar/Makita 510, 5100, 6400
Husqvarna 353, 346XP, 359
Stihl 270, 290, 310, 260, 361
Solo 651, 656
Tanaka/Hitachi (I forgot the modelnumbers)
John Deer/Efco CS56, CS65

You have quite a bit of options.

Best buy for the money probably Makita 6400 lightly used from HD for 2-300$, new probably Dolmar 5100.

Any of the saws will give you years of smiles while turning wood to saw dust.

BTW use the search function you will recieve years of reading information. Print it all out and you will never have to cut wood again you will only have to burn the paper! :hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

Back