Best Saw for $400-$500?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
in that price range the
270 280 fit rigth in,

Thanks, guys. I'm cutting hardwood in Ohio which means ash, oak, maple, cherry, hickory, locust.
I'm felling/limbing the trees myself - mostly small stuff less than 18", but I also clean up after downed trees and tops from logging and have run into some much bigger stuff.

I would get an 026 with a 16" and an extra 20" bar. I cut 10 cords a year with one for 15 years. Good luck!

For new saws I would be looking hard at the 359 and the 346 xp husky's especially the 359. The 359 while marketed as a land owner saw is built like a pro saw and has lots of potential for power improvements should you choose to go that route. Overall it is a much better built saw than the 455 rancher or the MS 290.

I would also think long and hard about looking for a used 70cc saw. You can pick good running ones up for under 400 bucks with shipping off of ebay most of the time (and even cheaper locally) and they will flat out amaze you if you are used to a husky 36.

Either way keep the 36 around for light work and to cut your other saw out if you get it pinched.

I was in the same situation about 5 years ago and bought a Stihl ms260. The ms260 is a great saw. Last year I added a ms440 for the bigger stuff. Whatever you buy you'll probally want something bigger in the future. For me the 260 and 440 are the only 2 saws I'll ever need.

Any of the above suggestions are good, BUT if you are not a chainsaw mechanic, make sure that you have good dealer/shop support for whatever you buy or you will be in a bind someday.

i was buckn a log onetime and the 359 got wedged pretty good. the 026 came out and saved the day.

359 and 026 make good combo. id recomend the 359 but around here they go for over 500.

my 359 is ported and wears a 24" bar plenty of power for 30" wood and cuts 24" wood like its butter

If you have some time the NE346xp Husky or Dolmar 5100.If you want to get it done alittle faster the Husky 359.You can't replace cc's unless you go the ported route.There is a guy at work that brags about how good and fast his WildThing cuts,I can't wait to let him cut with my 30 year old muffler modded Husky Rancher 44 and then my Snellerized Husky 359.

i think the 359 will probly cut a hair faster then the 346 and have more grunt for bigger wood. compareing stock saws

There's an 034 in Tradin Post now. I'd try to get it a little cheaper and buy some chaps if you don't already have them. Maybe some extra chains and oil too. An 034 w/20" and RSF is a good firewood saw.

I had an 029 and I sold that and purchased a NE346xp what a difference the 346 has a lot of ass for a super small saw it light and as my dealer said (a zippy little saw) I have also had a 359 and that was a great saw I had to sell that to fund my 372.I would go 346 great saw and super light.

Thanks all for the insight and suggestions. It looks like I'm going to have to get to a few shops and look at some saws. Right now I'm leaning towards the lighter saws rather than the more powerful, heavier models.

I'm mechanically inclined, so used may be a good option, but I also don't know much about chain saws and don't want to get burned. Maybe I'll buy a new saw now and keep an eye open for a great deal on a used one. If I do, which is easier to find in good condition, a mid-size or the big saws?

Thanks.

Dolmar 5100 here is the link

http://www.amickssuperstore.com/Dolmar_PS5100S_18_p/dolmar ps5100s 18 chainsaw as.htm

same price as the 290 and from what I hear will cut circles around it. More HP too. Professional grade, mag crankcase, lots of reasons.

I thought that Amicks was busted by Dolmar for shipping saws?

Note that Dolmar, Husky and Stihl do not allow for saw purchases from dealers that are sent to customers. Some dealers do it, but you have to be hush hush about it.

Husky 346xp/NE here is $475. Not a bad saw from what I hear. Big drawback is the outboard clutch. No Dolmar dealers here with real saws, so I cannot say anything about them. Stihl MS 260 is a good saw for $500. Stihl MS 290 and 310 are good cheaper saws, but less pro features (though they run like pro saws from my experience using them, and they have adj. oilers).

Find the best dealer in your area THEN look for a saw from them!!!!!

As much as we like the (generally) good natured "brand wars" the real truth is....................They all make a great saw!!

But none are worth a tinkers dam if your saw is down when you need to be in the woods.
I am blessed by having great dealers for Stihl and Dolmar and a decent dealer for Husky.
All of the saws mentioned in this thread so far are really good and some are great but dealer support is the key to happiness with your saw.JMHO

Mike

If weight is an issue, go with the MS260 pro (its about 1 lb lighter than the MS270/280)

Otherwise, I would go with the MS270 or MS280 (I am partial the MS270).

I think they are the most underrated and under appreciate saws Stihl makes, except by those who own them.

I have had my MS270 for 3+ years now, I have cut 2 foot rounds with it (not typical), run it for hours on end, mostly birch, as low as -25 (and I think colder where I actually cut). It cuts great. I like it over the MS280 as its a bit less pricey, not much less power, and you have more frame per HP so it should hold up better.

Typically is 4-12 inch rounds.

I'm also in Ohio, about an hour NE of Columbus. Just happened to stop in a dealer last Friday in Newark, and they had most of the Husqvarna line-up in stock and marked down. The only saw missing was the 372XP, which they told me they can't get enough of them to keep one on the shelf.

As you can see from my saw line-up I have lots of options to choose from. The 268XP and 262XP, one or the other goes on every outing. Even so, most of the time I run the Husky 55 or Echo CS-510, and recently been using the Husqvarna 435, as they are light and have plenty of power for most of the cutting we do.

For your needs, I'd go up just a bit and look at the 359. It's a lot of saw for around $500. I'd outfit it with an 18" bar, and have a 24" bar laying for occassionally getting into larger material.....Cliff

Find the best dealer in your area THEN look for a saw from them!!!!!

As much as we like the (generally) good natured "brand wars" the real truth is....................They all make a great saw!!

But none are worth a tinkers dam if your saw is down when you need to be in the woods.
I am blessed by having great dealers for Stihl and Dolmar and a decent dealer for Husky.
All of the saws mentioned in this thread so far are really good and some are great but dealer support is the key to happiness with your saw.JMHO

Mike
Yep...

Back