Best Size Log Splitter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mifeller

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Would appreciate some advice. Have been hand-splitting 16-20 face-cords of oak a year. Ends of logs from a mill, mostly 15-25 inch. Am 60 and back and shoulders can't take this anymore. Have looked at many power splitters. There's a local "Speeco" 22-ton with 6.5 BS for $1,000. I like this unit because it is light enough on the front that I could hand roll it into my cramped garage. Realize splitting will take longer. There's a well built "Central Hydraulics" 30-ton with about a 10 HP BS for only $1300 and they have a much better, more established service dept. While I could get it close to garage with pickup, would still need to hand maneuver it through door and around a corner. (Possibly, one of those front mounted third-wheel/jacks like I use on my boat trailer would be the answer?) But, in general the 30-ton machine would be a monster to maneuver around. I realize the 30 is a better machine for the money. But the 22 would probably work and would be a lot easier for me to move and store. Am retired, so time element not as important as would be for some. Any thoughts on the trade-offs involved in this decision would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in Advance.

the front wheel jack is a must. it makes moving the thing around so much easier.

regardless which one you choose, throw one of those wheels on it.

There are several things to consider when choosing a splitter .The most important thing at are age (mature) is operator comfort. Stand by the machine as if you were using it , is the height comfortable, are the tires in the way ,can dropped wood fall on the motor or pump, will the motor exhaust blow in your direction .

Horizontal only models will require that you lift the blocks onto the beam . Big pieces tend to be a problem.
Vertical models solve the need to lift large pieces but it can be a less comfortable work position.

Speeco 22 ton will handle the oak with a single wedge and is generally considered dependable.
Central Hydraulics is normally a made in China brand that has had problems with leaking seals on the cylinder.

Go with the Speeco, I have the one that mounts on a tractor, but I know several people that have bought the 22 ton from TSC and they love them. You won't find a better one for the money. Just my 2 cents.
Tom

yep... speeco/TSC and northern tools splitters seems to get the best feedback for lower cost splitters. yes certain speeco come with honda motors.

VS harbor freight seems to get bad feedback due to ram leaking.

go with a unit that switches from vertical to horizontal. your back will thank you!

I've got a 35ton speeco, that's seldom used in horizontal mode. much easier to roll log on ground level. no need to pick up.

would not have a horizontal only splitter, without a lift. but that's just me. lots of folks do just fine with horizontal only splitters w/o lifts. loads more lifting!

if you've got the $$ check out iron & oak with lift.

City Slicker; said:
Does Speeco make one with a Honda engine?

Last edited:
Appreciate The Comments

Thanks for all the suggestions. From what I found on the web earlier, it appears Speeco is the same unit TSC sells as Huskee--which I've heard are pretty good. There are just a few pieces of Oak in the 25"-28" range and I could knock off side pieces if necessary. Local Speeco dealer has 22 and 28 ton models--B&S engines (6.5 & 9.5). I believe TSC offers a Honda on one Huskee for a couple hundred more; but they're 50 miles away. Leaning towards that 22 ton Speeco. With a wheel-jack it would be easy to move once inside the garage and maybe take up a little less space.

50 miles to pick up a splitter is nothing!

warning speeco/TSC splitters cannot be towed at highway speeds. bring a trailer.

Mifeller; said:
Thanks for all the suggestions. From what I found on the web earlier, it appears Speeco is the same unit TSC sells as Huskee--which I've heard are pretty good. There are just a few pieces of Oak in the 25"-28" range and I could knock off side pieces if necessary. Local Speeco dealer has 22 and 28 ton models--B&S engines (6.5 & 9.5). I believe TSC offers a Honda on one Huskee for a couple hundred more; but they're 50 miles away. Leaning towards that 22 ton Speeco. With a wheel-jack it would be easy to move once inside the garage and maybe take up a little less space.

Just wondering about towing. For what it's worth, Huskee's online manual says use a 2" ball, don't exceed 45 mph and be careful crossing RRs etc. Of course nothing beats real world experience if anyone out there has towed a Huskee or Speeco??? I would just basically need to get it home from dealer - about 10 miles - and in for repairs if needed.

Last edited:
Just wondering why they can't be towed? Just wondering about possibly towing in daytime at speeds up to 50 for short distances of 10-20 miles if you have anything more.

If they are like most box store splitters the axles are welded directly to the Hyd tank and thus it has no suspension. Not a good idea to tow at high speeds as all the bumps and jolts are translated directly to a vessel designed to hold fluid. It works at low speeds and off road though. Also a lot of them have really small tires, it might take two -three rotations of the splitter tire for each revolution of your truck tire. Just imagine how fast those little bearings are spinning at 50 mph.

Some of those things wobble more than a Wally world cart at 30 mph.

Not that I have ever seen a Wally world cart doing 30 mph. :monkey:

I got a troybuilt 30 ton and would not even think of towing out of my yard
seems like what you pay they could put springs on them. Oh well gives
me something to do I guess. I also wish I would have bought a processor
instead of a splitter much more production for what firewood pays here
I would rather climb just my two cents.

I got a troybuilt 30 ton and would not even think of towing out of my yard
seems like what you pay they could put springs on them. Oh well gives
me something to do I guess. I also wish I would have bought a processor
instead of a splitter much more production for what firewood pays here
I would rather climb just my two cents.

i built mine on a boat trailer. those leaf springs are perfect and make towing as if nothing is there.

Could the smaller (22 ton) be loaded into a standard 8' pickup box and would that be practical? Could build a permanent-type ramp out back. Service and repair facilities should be able to off-load it.

towing 10 miles is no big deal. simply go slow... two issues are backing up and bumpy roads.

when you tow any small splitter, it's all but invisible with tailgate up. especially backing up. one could attach a flag in a fibre glass pole to splitter.

had extensive conversations with speeco engineers and tire mfg that came on my 35ton speeco.

tire mfg insist if tire is marked rated by DOT for safe road use. then it's considered safe for all speeds posted. (call tire mfg for yourself)

speeco engineers say when towing, if you hit bumps when traveling at highway speeds. splitter could flip over with bad results.

there's been horror stories of this exact scenario happening. when towing a splitter at highway speeds.

sooooo... tow slow...

Mifeller; said:
Just wondering about towing. For what it's worth, Huskee's online manual says use a 2" ball, don't exceed 45 mph and be careful crossing RRs etc. Of course nothing beats real world experience if anyone out there has towed a Huskee or Speeco??? I would just basically need to get it home from dealer - about 10 miles - and in for repairs if needed.

Could the smaller (22 ton) be loaded into a standard 8' pickup box and would that be practical? Could build a permanent-type ramp out back. Service and repair facilities should be able to off-load it

Most log splitters start out at 500 lb or more so loading in the back of a pickup could be a little tough. Service facilities often will not accept the liability of loading and unloading.

Log splitters are seldom balanced where they will track behind a tow vehicle without starting to bounce sideways as speed increases. The one common item of all trailers at highway speed is suspension.

besides, doesn't that mean lifting logs onto the back of the truck to split them? seems like extra work.......ugh.

towing 10 miles is no big deal. simply go slow... two issues are backing up and bumpy roads.

when you tow any small splitter, it's all but invisible with tailgate up. especially backing up. one could attach a flag in a fibre glass pole to splitter.

had extensive conversations with speeco engineers and tire mfg that came on my 35ton speeco.

tire mfg insist if tire is marked rated by DOT for safe road use. then it's considered safe for all speeds posted. (call tire mfg for yourself)

speeco engineers say when towing, if you hit bumps when traveling at highway speeds. splitter could flip over with bad results.

there's been horror stories of this exact scenario happening. when towing a splitter at highway speeds.

sooooo... tow slow...

Appreciate this! I grilled the guy at the store yesterday and he insists he's sold 15 Speecos this spring and "everybody just hooks them up and goes."
I do uderstand all the warnings which I am sure are well founded. As opposed to spending $$ on a trailer, I'll go slow. The first 5 miles is on a two-lane highway and I'll pick a time when traffic is light and keep it around 40. The rest is side road where traffic typically moves 35. I can imagine how something like that would bounce. Closest experience was an empty car-cady w/o springs which would bounce even at 10 mph, but which had a wide enough track so as not to roll over. Don't mind getting my hands dirty, so most servicing/repair can be done at home. Thanks again all.

Think Electric Hydraulic

Sounds like you've decided on a 30 ton gas splitter. Give the whole thing another thought.
Electric hydraulics are quiet, will split most of your needs particularly oak butt ends, run clean, can be used anytime and anywhere ( like in your garage), in all weather. The electrics come up to 12 ton splitting power. They fit in small areas and are light enough to roll or pick up with 2 people (~ 100-150 lbs). Cost is less than 1/2 or more than any smaller splitter. No engine maintenance, or gas and oil. You can sing while splitting (you do sing don't you). The 5 ton DR has needed only hydraulic fluid for maintenance over the 6 years.

Downsides: they are slow. Very slow. ( But you are retired.) Recylcle time is around 5 seconds, time to get the next butt on. They come (so far) only in horizontal rigs, so you have to pick up or roll the heavier butts onto the machine. Those are the only downsides.

We got rid of the noisy, smokey, heavy splitter years ago for a tiny tiny 5 ton DR splitter. It does 99% of the 5-7 cords used per year for heating. Much of the wood is knarly PITA red maple and birch. The DR is set up on a stand beside the butt pile with a tarp strung between trees for rain while splitting. It plugs into a standard 110 AC outlet. Simple, easy. I split over a month or 2 in the fall at odd times when I want.....then stack and store . Don't ask about that.:rockn:
There's a guy here "Kellog" who has a powerful electric prototype...look up the posts. DR (Vermont Country Home Products) is not cheap, but a reliable company to deal with.
Take a look.

Appreciate all the advice

Hope to have the Speeco within next week. Appreciate all the info on splitters and warnings about transport. Since distance is short (under 10), roads in decent condition, and traffic generally light I'll probably do the tow. No backing up necessary. Thanks Again.

Latest posts

Back