Best Size Log Splitter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Building my ultimate splitter, as we speak:

• 5hp electric motor on 220v
  • AND gas Honda engine (switch between the 2 by simply using the quick connect hydraulic hoses)
  • 30 tons of force on either gas or elec
  • Log lifter (lifts 500 pounds)
  • 5" cylinder
  • 2 way wedge or 4 way (slip on)
  • 28 gpm 2 stage pump
  • Full cycle valves (Push forward..they lock and I walk away and get my next log..when reach end, they return..all on their own)
  • Hydraulic pressure gauge so I can see what's going on

Considered adding a hydraulic wedge lifter, but I've heard people buy 'em, and never use 'em.

Should be done in about 10 more days. Gonna be sweet. Can't wait to hear what 30 tons of pressure sounds like, cracking open an elm crotch. Running the electric motor will allow me hear it for once!

better post some movies... :biggrinbounce2:

That split fire looks pretty cool. But i think I would take my supersplitter over it. But I would like to try one out to make sure.

Scott

syn oil

Ive been told...... Dont use synyhetic oil in small engs... I think you should get a second oppion...........

Ive been told...... Dont use synyhetic oil in small engs... I think you should get a second oppion...........

I've never heard that. I know you should let an engine break in with conventional oil, but then running synthetic is the way to go. Harley recommends synthetic after the break in. I run it in mine. On the other hand, I have 274,000 miles on my chevy truck with mobile conventional oil and it still doesn't burn oil.

the stickler

Good morning,
I was surfing the web and ran across this wood splitter for 259.00 delivered.
I wanted to know if anyone out there has one or has used one???:confused: the web site is (the stickler.com):help: It is in the price range most people can afford so I figured I'd throw it out there and see what happens....:cheers:

Good morning,
I was surfing the web and ran across this wood splitter for 259.00 delivered.
I wanted to know if anyone out there has one or has used one???:confused: the web site is (the stickler.com):help: It is in the price range most people can afford so I figured I'd throw it out there and see what happens....:cheers:

{bending over to pick up the next log.......SURPRISE} I don't think so. Ever thought about what would happen to the log (or you, or the machine) if it got jammed on that thing?:blob2: . There is NO safety factor to that thing. The other part that I can't seem to get past is: With a hydraulic splitter, I "strategically" split the log. Based on the log, I will pick and choose how I want it split. Can't see that happening with ol' "screw till its loose" And I really don't want to be jacking up my truck and pulling off the tire so that I can bolt this thing on it every time I may want to go split wood for an hour.
LONG LIVE HYDRAULICS:clap: (yep, I am biased, saw one in use and ran for the hills)

I have the Troy Built 27 ton with the Honda 5.5hp model. model LS27T Works pretty good.
http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=116418-270-24BF572B711

I do wish that the cycle time was quicker. the return home is a little slow after you hit retract. 19 seconds is slower than me by a long shot. On logs under 12" I am way ahead of the splitter. I have both kids run the splitter in shifts.

I do like the hold to go back detent.

The big thing that I noticed is that I have gone through 3 1/2" bolts that connect the ram to the splitting wedge.

Also in green oak it runs pretty slow when it drops down to the slow stage on the 2 stage pump. I would say only half of my wood is straight grain.

Improvements: I wish the log holders were a lot bigger. Someday I am going to bolt on bigger ones.
Needs faster cycle time.
Log lift.

However I only paid $1200 instead of $5000 for this monster
http://www.toolfetch.com/Category/Log_Splitters/bh4003b.htm

Back