best small homeowner/firewood saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
From what I have been reading, TSC has been selling Poulan 330's that would fit in to about anyone's budget. I have been hearing a lot of good about them, but have yet to use one. Something you may consider.
If it were me, I would possibly look into a Stihl 024 or 025 that hasn't been abused. Seems like the price is right on most used saws that I have seen, and would offer you a lot of bang for the buck. Parts and service is out there as well, which is one of Stihl's best selling points in my opinion.. new or used for that matter. Good luck!

MS211

You can run 12"-16" bars in 3/8" Picco .050" or Picco Mini .043

Strong saw. I just bought one and will be using the MS361 less often. Not to say I don't need the MS361, but the MS211 has filled the gap between the MS192T and MS361 nicely.

Happy shopping

BTW... A shout of thanks for the recent +++ Rep from AS members. I finally have my 1st badge!

:) Merry Christmas

I second the 026!
You mention that you want a lil' bigger saw. This would work well.
Easy to find parts, handles a 16" bar real nice, and it is not to bulky.

026, ms260, husky 350 or 353...dude, my ms260 was a bad@$$ little saw, i wish i still had it:cheers:

The Echo CS-370 and CS-400 can be had on E-Bay for less than $200, new or slightly used. They are great saws for what you are doing. I wouldn't hesitate for a second to take one of my CS-370's on an Elk hunting trip for camp firewood. I keep one on my quad most of the time for small jobs on my property.....Cliff

026-260 would fit the task nicely and they are proven to be bullet proof with a ton of parts available.

I'd suggest the ms200. Won't find a saw smaller & lighter than it with more power...and the saw DOES have power.

The 011 is also a good choice. I started on one and have been using mine (until I gave it away) or my dad's from time to time my whole life. Never had any issues with leaks, though ours were always cared for meticulously. They're a little heavier than the ms200 with a little more power, but definitely less chain speed.

The MS200 is the best tiny saw around but it comes with a best price too. The used rear handles are rare to come across, the top handles are more plentiful. Top handles are made for working in a tree, not on the ground. The other choices are the Stihl 211, Dolmar 420, husky 435. The 420 is the only pro constructed saw, if that matters. I have the 211 and have put it though the tests, nice saw. I like the idea of a used 026 also, can't beat them for a limber or small firewood saw.

I am not price sensative, I just want a saw that doesn't leak all over the place, is small and light. All I use it for is cutting firewood and taking to Elk camp. I rarely cut anything over 8-10 inches thick. Also, I love to work on stuff, I am always rebuilding snowmobile engines--sooo if I find a good older saw that needs an over haul that is ok too. One suggestion was a Husky 435, I kind of like that one. With all the manufacturing going to China, are the new Sthils and Huskys going that way--I tend to be more interested in older stuff since it seems to be better build. The 011 AV may work also but I think the oiler works on a pressure system and will probably leak, not to mention parts. As you can see, I am just look for answers in an area I know little about. Thanks for your help.

I don't know about anything else but I own a 435 and it is made in Sweden

The 435 is a good choice for what is being asked for here. It's a 41cc saw, and a stratto-engine. Very good power for the cc's. Ours has proven to be a very good saw. I'm still partial to the little Echo CS-370/400's, they are very good saws for around $200.

The Ryobi was also mentioned. Mine ate a coil almost immediately. I also had to weight the fuel filter, shorten the fuel line, and repair the defective tank vent, not to mention get a better bar and chain for it.

It's still an OK deal for around $100, but I'd still get the Husqvarna 435 instead for about twice the price.....Cliff

i think that cub cadet/repainted made in italy saw on amazon .com for $299 might be a good deal. a major brand of saw just re-badged into a cub cadet-just like a john-deer.

or maybe that little roby for $99 with a tune up.

or a used saw with 50-60cc?

Back