Best Sounding Saw - Help Spend My Money

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

computeruser

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
OK, I am thinking about getting another fun saw for GTGs and playing around, and I am looking for a saw that sounds good. Yes, sound is my primary criteria. If it is relatively inexpensive and/or fairly easy to find parts for, all the better.

Any suggestions?

Nuthing cooler than the sound of a 95+ cc saw like say a Dolmar 143mx, 153 or 166 they sound so cool esp if they have the european mufffler.

Scott

Old big Partners.

Old Macs with the reed in the muffler. Although, they sound different, not nessesarily good. Make you teeth hurt.

The big old Dolmar do sound goooood.

What is in-expensive? That makes me think big old Ropers and Poulans. They have a good sound.

The old rounded Solos. They also sound unique.

Alky 2100 and 181 is music to my ears. Wish i could afford them.

My favorite sound with a saw is the sound they are making right now sitting in the shed.:hmm3grin2orange:

Well, maybe I'd throw in a little sound just so I could get feedback on chainspeed, although I am guess that the noise the chain made removing wood would be plenty of feedback.

I'm got to got along with what my brother the long time arborist said to me, "I hate the sound of a chainsaw in anyone else's hands but my own."

Thanks for the input so far, folks.

I guess I should clarify some. I'm kinda thinking more along the lines of the older, lower RPM saws. BCMKTJ's Remington PL-5 is kinda my inspiration for this thread, since it sounded REALLY good. I like they way my 075 sounds (but not my 076, different muffler design), but there was something about how that Remington sounded as I covered the fifty or so yards between the vehicle and where it was running that was impressive; it sound like a small motorboat, lots of bass to the exhaust note. I may have to buy one of these.

Any other suggestions in this genre of saw?

what? did not like my 3.7 roper?

LOL I said after Als cut, That dude just powered right through it never missing a beat. sounded strong for such a small saw. I doubt Al will cut you a deal on his dads old saw.LOL

I have an older pro mac 10-10, which is a low revvin saw, and everyone around me says that it sounds really good, really deep sound up close and a neat humm from far away.

My dads old XL-12's always had a distinct crack to them. I loved that sound when I was a kid. I am kinda partial to my 046 with the pipe on it now. Sounds like a YZ-125 in your hands.

I'd second Bullseye's recommendation if you want an older, but not too large/odd/expensive saw. One of the 10-10's I have is louder than my PM10-10 Super, even though the 10-10 Super has a larger displacement. I think the added a larger muffler to the PM10-10 Super right form the start of production. If you really want to get a different sound than the new saws, go for a large displacement McCulloch, such as a 1-40 series, 1-50, 1-60, 1-70, 250 + Super 250, 300, 450 , etc. Those saws are a world apart from the high-revvers sold new today.

Back