Best Stihl saws ever made?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Chad
You are right on with your thinking, the 046/460s are the best saws ever made. The only thing better is the 460R which adds about $60 to the cost of a stsndard 460 but turns it into a true production saw. Add the dual port muffler cover and adjust the carb to match and I will put them up aginst any thing out there day in day out.

The best saw Stihl has ever made? Hmmmmm,,,, could be either their most popular, the 029/290, or any of the 028 versions. I'd have to pick the very popular and durable 028AV with the full magnesium case, tank and handle. I didn't include any of the later pro saws because they have plastic tank handles. Kind of makes them lesser in my book.

For me it's the 660. Definitely needs a 32-36 inch bar to bring out the best. Lots of guys seem to end up disappointed with how they do timed against a 460 with, say, a 25-inch B&C. But that's the wrong way to look at it. Pull out the 660 for the big wood and run a 36-inch bar buried.

I don't need to cut big wood often up here in the boreal forest, not like a lot of you guys with big SPF out west or monster hardwoods in the south, east and midwest. But when I need it, that 660 is there, and it's my favorite saw to run.

A feller just can't go wrong with the 026/260/261, 036/360/361, 046/460 or 066/660. It's one helluva a 50, 60, 70 and 90cc lineup. :rock:

Hi everyone, I'm fairly new here and I have been learning! I work as a Tech for a large farm equipment dealer that sells Stihl equipment. I own Stihl saws because I can get parts and new saws cheap. I was wandering what models everyone likes. I have owned and fixed many Stihl saws 024,026,028,036,044,MS260,360,361,362,460,660 and totally refinished an 088 that sold on ebay for $1250 a $600 profit. I would say the impressive saws were the 026/MS260,MS361 and the MS460. The best in my opinoin is the MS460. The MS460 seems like it has the best power to weight ratio and allways love running one. My MS660 is a beast but I feel like it should be more if I compare it to the 460. The 088 was just a beast that I did'nt need. I search CL and Ebay for broken saws and find the 460 and 660 are hard to get cheap anymore. What are your favorites?

Any model that dont have the flippy caps.

Two years ago When I heard the 361 was discontinued I purchased 2 of them for 500 each
and also a new MS460 to replace the 046 I had used for almost 10 years.

My plan was to use the 460 and 361 and lay up a NIB 361 to save for later.

About 6 months later I went through a divorce and all of these became colateral damage from it. :mad: .....yada yada......

and the 460 was dumped with only 2 cuts made.

two cuts...hmmm.....that would be the ex, and her lawyer...and saw dumped at the scrap metal shredder...

This ms360 is the best stihl ive ever owned, its mt first choice on most jobs. It has the nuts for the bigger stuff but is light enough to carry around all day easly and can run a 20''bar. The only thing ive had to do is a fuel line. It has run great for the past 10 years,I recently had the muffler off for modding and the p&c were just like new. Great GP saw!:heart:

For me it's the 660. Definitely needs a 32-36 inch bar to bring out the best. Lots of guys seem to end up disappointed with how they do timed against a 460 with, say, a 25-inch B&C. But that's the wrong way to look at it. Pull out the 660 for the big wood and run a 36-inch bar buried.

I agree, I really am amazed when the 660 is running my 36" bar burried. I recently ran the 660 through a locust tree that burried the bar. It really drinks the fuel when its tearin up a 36" locust tree.

I agree, I really am amazed when the 660 is running my 36" bar burried. I recently ran the 660 through a locust tree that burried the bar. It really drinks the fuel when its tearin up a 36" locust tree.

In the words of Wigglesworth, "It takes fuel to make power."

Latest posts

Back