Best Stihl saws ever made?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I love the 044-046-064-066. but for an overall best if one is picked, and that's what it should be. The 066, go back even a few years maybe ten to a earlier 660 they were as good. For me look at the run, and track record of the 066, folks mention power to weight, you do go up maybe 2 pounds over a 460 give or take. But you gain a hell of alot of torque for it. If you pack the 44-06 and pack a 66 for a few weeks, your body will get used to it, and familiar with the minimal, but extra weight. Because a overall best saw is one that can do anything in the woods, from limbing to large timber cutting. You wont see any fallers packing 4 saws in because all four are his favorites. rewind the clock, to when big trees were being cut, a 441 44 46-460 would have been considered minimum at best. i know you can port them and get more power, big difference in overall wood size today also. You can also port a 66, and get a es light bar, and you have a rugged falling machine, compare the power to weight on that, and you will be hard pressed to beat it. For me the 066

I agree on the 440-compared to earlier comments you made too Brad. The 044 in my shed, Is stock just dp muffler. I would put it up against any out of the box 440 today, even a 441. Non restrictive, bigger ports. thing surprises alot of people.

I'm going to say the MS200T and ONLY the MS200T.

The reason for this is that it is the only model Stihl that the opposition hasn't been able to cover.
The MS660 is covered by both the 390XP and 395XP.
The MS460 is covered by the Dolmar 7900 and Husky 372XPW.
The MS440 is well and truly covered by the Husky 372XP/XPW.

All the above Stihl models are great saws and well and truly proven but the 200T has no equal. Look outside of logging peoples :)

Husky tried to cover the 200T with their 338XPT but apart from a few 338XPT fans they well and truly failed. With all of it's carby faults the 200T has remained at the top of the table and if any other saw had that amount of issues it would have been dumped quick smart. Once running properly they will make more money faster than any other saw in the Stihl lineup.

As far as it taking fuel to make power that is not always the case. My ported 390XP will cane a stock 660's arse under any bar length and timber combo you'd like to throw at it yet use nearly half the fuel. The 660's are a well known fuel hog, ported or not.

I'm going to say the MS200T and ONLY the MS200T.

The reason for this is that it is the only model Stihl that the opposition hasn't been able to cover.
The MS660 is covered by both the 390XP and 395XP.
The MS460 is covered by the Dolmar 7900 and Husky 372XPW.
The MS440 is well and truly covered by the Husky 372XP/XPW.

All the above Stihl models are great saws and well and truly proven but the 200T has no equal. Look outside of logging peoples :)

Husky tried to cover the 200T with their 338XPT but apart from a few 338XPT fans they well and truly failed. With all of it's carby faults the 200T has remained at the top of the table and if any other saw had that amount of issues it would have been dumped quick smart. Once running properly they will make more money faster than any other saw in the Stihl lineup.

As far as it taking fuel to make power that is not always the case. My ported 390XP will cane a stock 660's arse under any bar length and timber combo you'd like to throw at it yet use nearly half the fuel. The 660's are a well known fuel hog, ported or not.

The only problem, IMHO, with your choice of saw, is you're assuming Stihl's "best" saw is a "pro" saw when making your case. There are a lot of variables to consider. Most people who buy saws will never spend that much on a small saw, or for a a "pro" priced saw. 200t's are a great saw, no doubt, but extremely limited in what they can do. The average homeowner, a saw company's largest consumer base, will never spend $550 + on a chainsaw. The average maximum, even today, is around $375. That really limits the field. If money and total sales were no object, I'm certain the 440/460 and 200t would be at the top of the list, even though those saws are mostly sold to tree service / forestry workers (pro guys).

The only problem, IMHO, with your choice of saw, is you're assuming Stihl's "best" saw is a "pro" saw when making your case. There are a lot of variables to consider. Most people who buy saws will never spend that much on a small saw, or for a a "pro" priced saw. 200t's are a great saw, no doubt, but extremely limited in what they can do. The average homeowner, a saw company's largest consumer base, will never spend $550 + on a chainsaw. The average maximum, even today, is around $375. That really limits the field. If money and total sales were no object, I'm certain the 440/460 and 200t would be at the top of the list, even though those saws are mostly sold to tree service / forestry workers (pro guys).

I tend to agree with your comments but as mentioned other manufacturers have every other Stihl model covered. Also if you are talking the Stihl homeowner range of saws which one out of their 246 non pro models do you choose? Also when talking pro use do not count out fruit tree pruning contractors. They are the biggest group of 200T users in Australia.
A lot of fruit property owners who have used both the 192T or 200T have chosen the 200T.
If I was to choose a homeowner Stihl I'd think the 029 would be right up there but it wouldn't have had anywhere near the impact on industry that the 200T has. Very hard to quantify homeowner saws though as we sell a lot of MS170 saws here but they are hardly a good saw. Sales' numbers do not mean a good saw, just good marketing in most cases which Stihl are experts at.

EDIT: I should have known you'd be upset by my 200T choice - it's about the only Stihl model you don't own :D

No, No, No, don't get me wrong on this. It's a truly great saw, the 200t. From a professional saw users point of view, in the market you and others have described, it is absolutely the best in its class, bar none. Under those circumstances it can not be beaten, period. Heck, even Husky enthusiasts will agree. I just don't think it is the best value ($550), most durable (lot of plastic), or the best selling (all legitimate criteria) saw Stihl has produced. That's why I listed the 028AV Mag tank/handled as my choice. Timeless, value priced ($299 new in the '70's) durable, powerful and stihl widely used by the populace. Yours, and others, are good choices, but we all have certain measurements in our minds as to what constitutes the "best" a company has produced. Mine is not a better choice, or lesser choice, than yours.

A lot of people here are used to cutting big wood requiring a 440/460/660 "pro" class of saw. Stihl makes excellent saws in those ranges with great power to weight ratios. I just don't think that is what makes the "best" saw. I focus more on the longevity / durability, average man usefulness and therefore "value" of the saw to the masses and company when giving my opinion. I'm probably wrong in my value given to the 028, but not mistaken, if that makes any sense. We're only talking chainsaws, so it shouldn't be that big of a deal.

Last edited:
Two years ago When I heard the 361 was discontinued I purchased 2 of them for 500 each
and also a new MS460 to replace the 046 I had used for almost 10 years.

My plan was to use the 460 and 361 and lay up a NIB 361 to save for later.

About 6 months later I went through a divorce and all of these became colateral damage from it. :mad:

I also had about 40 other Stihl saws in stock at the time to tell you that these were my favorites.

Have had a few more since and do have another 046 right now but am still looking for a NOS or near new 361 currently.

These 361's were sold never fired and the 460 was dumped with only 2 cuts made.

CIMG0714.jpg

Indeed a sad story! :computer2:

Stihl 036

It's gotta be my cousins' mid-early '90's 036 with 20" bar.
That poor saw has cut tons of fire wood every winter since the day it was bought.
It's most always gotta a dull chain and the you could shave the hide off of a buffalo using the burrs rolled over the sides of the bar.
The poor saw lives in a dark-dank pole barn which always stays damp and wet and his fuel can is commonly left out of doors in the weather.
He runs the hell out of it and puts it away with out any type of cleaning.
I doubt it's ever seen a new spark plug, let alone a new air, fuel nor oil filter.
Yet that saw still starts rite up and pulls thru oak, hickory and walnut every winter.,,yep , it's gotta be the best saw Stihl ever built.

I really like my 026's and one that Mastermind worked on gets a lot of run time, but I still kind of prefer the big old ones.

PA290757.jpg

Al.

Back