Best Trail Saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would carry my 372xp! But if I was to clear trails and show off I
would get on a cat d9 and drag a stihl while clearing lol.

Thats allot of machine...D4 lgp would do the same thing with less environmental impact. Clearing trails, not making them!!

Oh yeah, and he should be dragging a wood shark.

I only have 12 hrs to decide on a saw to carry on my ATV while into the Yukon.
With several choices, I have a 362 Sno Pro, an 026 Arctic, a 359 and a 346 as well as an 020. My guts say the 346 and my heart says the 020. All saws are modded. It's just for clearing trails and showing off. I'm kinda partial to the 346, but it won't warm my hands at 30 below. The obvious choice is the 362. What you say?
John
just buy a 346xpg........you'll be glad you did:laugh:

346!

Only because you don't have a 353, and thats what I use/would use.

But I don't go forkin' around in weather cold enough to need heated handles... so I dont have any.

I never thought of that, but it's a good point. You guys aren't making this easy, so I'll just bring the 346, 020 and 372 and hope I dont regret not bringing the 088 or 385.
John

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQHVHDxUJHQ

Hey John that is a sweet 020. You should have seen my little mustang when I drove from California to Alabama for Christmas. Some friends wanted a little tree work done and being the eternal optimist. I had three bags of climbing gear and four saws ranging from a husky 338 ca special to an 060 with a 42" bar. The poor little car was squatted down in the rear but that helped when I hit a snow storm somewhere east of El Paso.
Hope you are haveing lots of fun.

Gee, one saw in the Yukon sounds like a job for the most reliable and trustworthy of the quiver. A modded 026 sounds fun, some day.

saws

Considering weight, fuel economy, reliability and power, I would be taking the 026 if only one, add the 020 if room allows.
If I knew there was no big wood, the 020 with a 16 inch bar would be the choice. Lots of power in a small package.

I hear all of you guys talk about the arctic saws but I never see them up here; I find they just get your hands wet faster if there is any snow around.

I have a Stihl MS170 w/14" bar that I set up on the side of my Skandic WT (snowmobile), I made a little holder that allows it to kind of hang out over the side and not infringe on my usual storage capacity. It's light, versatile and is easy to fix in case something goes wrong.

I also strap it onto the front rack of my Kodiak 400 ATV when looking to clear some trees. Typically I never see trees over 20" diameter up here anyway, so the little Stihl can knock them down in a heartbeat.

I can't see why anyone would want to lug around a big heavy saw for trail clean-up duties when a small light saw could do the job. I actually bought a used Stihl 009 and a Poulan XXV w/12" bars this past month to further lighten my load.

I hear all of you guys talk about the arctic saws but I never see them up here; I find they just get your hands wet faster if there is any snow around.

Theres no point in using the handle heaters BEFORE your hands/gloves get wet, they just make your life easier when you have wet gloves...

re

I just went thu same deal-afta careful considaration I decided if it was that much trouble to make up my mind-I needed a new saw strickly for atv use-heavily modded 440-even got a pipe to slip on every once n a while but mostly a muffler saw-a spare bar,a few spare chains,sharp axe,a wedge an some ropes-yea its the king of the camp and yea my friends are amazed!
Lota good work saws around but I think your play saw needs to be perfect ! :greenchainsaw:

It looks like the 346 wins out, but surely a 357 would be better or maybe a 372.... Who cares, the 044 will do, it's all in the chain. The woodchips are gonna fly today ,15k off the Klondike Highway!
John

Well now you have the saws you need next I would be worried about the cloths, my choice would be wool. And forever in blue jeans.

Latest posts

Back