Best vintage Husqvarna?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was wondering when you wanted me to ship it, I knew I didn't talk you out of one LOL.

Personally if I was in a situation I'd even take a stihl over having nothing at all:popcorn2:.
So I guess any vintage would be better than no vintage, but I really like the 3.. series, but I'm not picky.

There are some basic improvements with most 3-series saws over most 2-series ones - but that doesn't keep many of the 2-series ones from being very nice saws. Then the "series" numbers have been used more than one time, and that messes up the "picture", unless you know exactly which saws we are referring to.

The "misfits" are the 2- and 3-series saws from the 1970s and of course the recent Poulan built homeowner 2-series saws (that are crap). The ones from the 1970s were very good saws of their time, just a different "generation" of saws (despite production time overlapped - 285, 298, 2100 and 2101 really belongs to that 2-series, despite most of them were made later).

For me, it will always be the 2100/2101. An almost perfectly executed saw design, born with the idea to slay the big scale here in the PNW. Not a saw for weenies or the naysayers who say it's "too heavy".

I haven't owned one yet, but I suspect the 394 might be a close second.

Kevin

Sent from my C811 4G using Tapatalk

I am not familiar with vintage Husky, but for the rest of my life would be a NIB 353. Only because I hopefully have 30-40 years left, and it is going to need to last a long time. I cut 90% of my wood with 50 size saws.

I am not familiar with vintage Husky, but for the rest of my life would be a NIB 353. Only because I hopefully have 30-40 years left, and it is going to need to last a long time. I cut 90% of my wood with 50 size saws.
Great saws they are:).
Love the 3 series, great vintage of saws.
I really like the "lesser" rated 353 and 359.20160924_112144.jpg

I can check later today. what are we lookin for?

should have that stuff on paper or pics anyway, case they disappear.

Production year and week, as I'm not sure for how long the model was made. That info usually is part of the serial number, but in some cases the year is on the plate, in addition to the serial number.

Husky saws made before 1982 can't be "dated" this way - but this one obviously isn't one of those (many 2100s are).

If I were to pick one, a 288. My 372 isn't old enough to qualify, as much as I love it.
That's your problem - an advantage with the older ones (older than the 371-family) is of course that they have an outboard clutch.

I'll take my 372's inboard any day. Super easy to change chains, super easy to replace the rim. I've dealt with outboards on my older saws it can be a PITA to line the chain up on the rim. I can manage the older ones some of the time, but it gets tiring on a daily basis cutting in a sand pit where all the wood has sand ingrained into it. Speaking of which, I will be getting more of that wood cut this week. Still need to order those semi chisel chains... damn chisel dulls so fast in these conditions.

Surely you can save a few seconds now and then with an inboard, but the price is rather high - adverse effect on the handling of the saw, more wear and tear on the crank and PTO side crank bearing, and "trapping" heat in general, and particularly on the clutch bearing - which have proven to be a major problem on some saws with plastic caged clutch bearings (mainly MS261 and 362, that I know of).

Back