Best way to carry fuel & bar oil when on foot..

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

weimedog

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I have this old wood trailer I drag with effectively a mobile saw shop on the days I head to the woods....when on foot walk to and from cutting area with what ever fuel/lube is on board the saw along with a water bottle for me..what do you folks do on those extended "on foot" jobs. where you have to carry in your gear...no tractors or quads to help. just whats on your person?

216681-woodwagon-jpg

Last edited:
if i can't drive up real close to where i am cutting then i don't cut there,, i don't cut professionally just for firewood,, so having to carry everything is not an issue for me

The best way also happens to be the cheapest way. Tie two bar oil jugs together with about 12-16" of small rope, I prefer the round bar oil jugs, or at least the taller square'd off ones to the newer short rectangle jugs. Anyways, fill one with mix gas and the other about half way up with your bar oil ............. and your done.

What makes this concept better than most any other is you can hang the jugs over your shoulder, over the seat of a ATV, hang it from a tree so it won't get lost or smashed by vehicle that didn't see it on the ground ...................... and their free and usually plentiful. If you do smash a set or one, you don't care so much as if you just smashed a $15+ dollar piggyback jug. They pour easy and great and don't have the stupid snorkel parts that get broken or cracked all the time. You can make up multiple sets for free.

My experience and opinion,

Sam

I have a combo bar oil/gas can that I attach to a strap on my backpack. I usually have to walk 500m on average to where I start line cutting. I bring everything that I need for the day - spare chains, spare bar, tools, lunch & water in my back pack. I also carry my saw on my shoulder. I've noticed that it's easier on your back if put the load on your shoulders instead of your waist. I've tried carrying my saw and gas can with my arms, but they get tangled in the brush too easily & it's kind of a clumsy walk in.

The best way also happens to be the cheapest way. Tie two bar oil jugs together with about 12-16" of small rope, I prefer the round bar oil jugs, or at least the taller square'd off ones to the newer short rectangle jugs. Anyways, fill one with mix gas and the other about half way up with your bar oil ............. and your done.

What makes this concept better than most any other is you can hang the jugs over your shoulder, over the seat of a ATV, hang it from a tree so it won't get lost or smashed by vehicle that didn't see it on the ground ...................... and their free and usually plentiful. If you do smash a set or one, you don't care so much as if you just smashed a $15+ dollar piggyback jug. They pour easy and great and don't have the stupid snorkel parts that get broken or cracked all the time. You can make up multiple sets for free.

Sam

I like your idea and may end up doing something similiar myself. thanks

I've been using a 1-qt plastic motor oil bottle for gas and then I set my oiler to medium so I don't need bar oil. The 1-qt bottle fits nicely in the day packs outer water bottle holders. My face screen/ear muffs also fit in the day pack.

A full tank of gas and bar oil, plus the 1 qt extra of gas works out nicely on my Husky 455.

Sam

That's how I roll...except when I'm ultra far from where I'm building. In those cases, I use a BOB Yak trailer hooked to my mountain bike: BOB Yak I rock the 440, ten pounds of nails, all my gas/oil, and food in it. Somehow, I don't have a pic of the setup.

Sam

Slamm got it right.

Army jacket and army pants with a lot of pockets.

I bought some of the canned premix fuel stuff, tried it out, then kept the cans. I use a funnel and put my own mix in them now. They are one quart round metal cans and fit in the jacket side pockets perfectly, and are also the easiest to pour from of any fuel can I ever used on saws.. And you can put bar oil into one quart old motoroil cans, again,. they go into pockets. Still enough pockets for tools, wedges, an extra loop in a ziplock bag, etc.

then, walk in, saw in one hand, axe in the other.

If I need more than that and need to walk in, I use a wheelbarrow. I'll have it with me anyway to get the rounds out, so whut the heck, you can load it up, extra saws and stuff.

I have a load bearing vest in my emergency prep stuff, but I am thinking of getting another one and modifying it just for cutting.

Sam

Agreed. Anything you can carry on your shoulders, back or belt just makes it easier all around. Hell of a lot easier moving through brushy woods or up and down steep ledgerock (both of which we have a lot of here) when you can keep your left hand/arm free.

I believe Sam mentioned his method at least once before in a similar thread. And now I've got a couple empty bar oil jugs. I think I'm going to adapt it a bit to use a wide strap rather than a rope. Easier on the shoulder that way.

Slamm's rollin' old-school with the "Gyppo Jugs". That's the way I usually do it, for all the same reasons. However, I also have the bits and pieces to do the following:

6324_55560_p1.jpg

+

1537_35409_p1.jpg

Where two have mix and a third (flagged to prevent confusion) carries bar oil. This setup is good if you're moving around a lot, like when brushing roads.

Sam

Yeah I would imagine this is the answer you will get most often. I have also carried a piggyback container a long ways many times but that requires a dedicated hand. For fire work I usually carry 1 qt MSR fuel bottles, 4 for mix and 2 for oil. I have a specially made pouch that holds the 6 bottles but they get split between 2 of us. The bottles fit in my pack and can also hang by the cap.

BTW for gypo jugs fabric softener bottles work well too and have a built in spout.

BTW for gypo jugs fabric softener bottles work well too and have a built in spout.

Now, that there is a fine idea. Those spouts pour well, and my wife goes through fabric softener almost as fast as I go through beer. :D :D

I use a two one gallon fuel cans in a home made bag with a padded shoulder sling. Bar oil can is spray painted blue. I use a back pack for the rest of the bits. Between the sling and pack everything thing other than the saws can be carried on the back. Usually have a saw in each hand. Water is carried in the gallon jugs it is purchased in, the jug fits in the bag with the fuel and oil. Snacks go in the back pack.

Last edited:
I have one of those Briggs gas cans with the bar oil jug attached to the side. Expensive to buy, but makes it so much easier than having the saw in one hand then a gas can and oil bottle in the other. As for other stuff, I have a beat up old backpack I use.

Depends how far you need to walk... For short walks, we just carry a combo bar oil/gas can in one hand, chainsaw on the shoulder and the rest in a small backpack. For longer walks, we take separate cans we stick in a old mountaineering (80 liters) backpack.

The pour spout is handy but I've found that after while they tend to leak around the base where the cap screws on. You usually discover the leak when the skin starts to burn.

I've also snapped a couple off or just broken them in the normal events of the day...like falling down, throwing your ax up to where you have the jugs stashed, and dropping things on them in the back of the pickup.

The best gypo jugs I've seen for being sturdy and surviving woods mishaps ( read clumsy and careless) are TSC bar oil jugs. I usually wrap a couple of layers of duct tape around the bottom parts to avoid abrasion. If you carry your scrench on a 'biner snapped to the rope the d-tape helps prevent punctures.

Fish had thread awhile back about different kinds of plastic jugs being incompatible with saw gas...plastic melting and mixing with the gas, that kind of thing. He said that milk jugs were a definite no-no.

Another quick trick for the OP... eye-splice a harness snap into each end of your jug rope...pull the end of the rope through the handle and snap it on the standing part of the rope. Quick on and off.

I carry a few of the MSR fuel bottles in with me, works pretty decent. I also always have a t-27, scrench, 8mm wrench, flagging, spencer tape, wedges, ax, water, phone, 1st aid kit, spare chain and file. It sounds like a lot of stuff but it's not too bad.

Slamm's rollin' old-school with the "Gyppo Jugs". That's the way I usually do it, for all the same reasons. However, I also have the bits and pieces to do the following:

6324_55560_p1.jpg

+

1537_35409_p1.jpg

Where two have mix and a third (flagged to prevent confusion) carries bar oil. This setup is good if you're moving around a lot, like when brushing roads.

do ya happen to have a link to that pack or know where i could look for one? thanks

Back