Best way to move logs- ideas, anyone?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maxburton

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I just bought a flatbed trailer and am toying around with the idea of putting logs on it to move them rather than hiring a log truck. Here are ideas I've had of how to get the on the the trailer. I'm hoping the community has tried and proven (or disproven) some of these or has better ideas. Thanks in advance, guys!

1: Cutting them up and using a log dolly. (I don't know a local place to buy them, though)

2: Using a winch to drag them up. (will the winch bend the frame?)

3: Using some kind of wheeled log-end-holder at one or both ends.

4: Combinations of 2 and 3.

5: Rolling them up the side. (tough for the big ones!)

5: Give up and get a log trailer.

I generally get Dek and the kids to carry them ! person power "it's clean, and its green!!!"
I feel like a Brit Al Gore !!!!:rockn: :rockn:

You left out some crucial information.

Are the logs easily accesable, can you just back the trailer up to them?

Is there a lot of hills and wooded area around to get in the way?

Is this wood for milling or firewood?

My thoughts are for an electric winch on the trailer, mounted on the tounge, or a chainsaw winch, both expensive, or the cheap hard way, is a manul winch and drag them on the trailer that way.

If it is for firewood cut the pieces up with a saw and throw them on!!!
Andy

Log dolly works OK if you're on improved ground but if you're hauling stuff out of the woods or on rough ground it gets pretty tough. I took down 3 silver maples and 11 30' cherry trees out of a mowed field in the rain this week with a log dolly. Worked OK but it was a long slight uphill grade and my legs are shot. I felt like I should be wearing a harness and a feed bag. I have one from Northern Tool and it looks cheap but we haven't broken it yet. If you're looking for a good one the Sherrill truck looks good but I never used one. Do an online search and try to find a maker or nursery supply close to you. If you buy one and have it shipped the shipping will kill you.
Phil

Good questions from the redneck.

I can usually get right up to my logs. I'm lucky like that. I also usually cut them into firewood. Maybe I should just toss the stuff on after I cut it on site. I just like to cut logs at my shop on my own time rather than on the job. And a lot of the time I'm dumping the wood, so the less cutting the better.

As far as the winching goes, I saw some cheap ones today at Pep boys. I suspect they won't have nearly the power I'll need. I have a couple rope come-alongs, but that would be a lot of cranking. I'm thinking for loading logs whole, I would have to roll them up the side and onto the bed that way.

If that is the case, cut them just small enough to handle them, use the ramps on the trailer, or make some for it, and roll them on. I have done it both ways, I prefer to cut to lenght on site and then come home and split it at my liesure. This is my primary income in the winter and the less I hadle the wood, the better for me!!!
Andy

Well, here is what I used to do. Using a half ton Ramcharger, a 6x12 dual axle trailer rated for 7000lbs, a cant hook, four wheel chocks and a chain and a towing strap, I was always able to load whatever logs I ran across when hauling something to the sawmill or taking it back to my place for firewood.

Be warned, this is the cooter method, but it works. First I would line the logs up that were to be dragged onto the trailer. Next the wheels on the trailer would be chocked, and the trailer ramp dropped onto the ground to allow 12 ft. logs to be pulled on (at this point, trailer is disconnected from the truck). Then I would hook chain to the log, then connect chain to the tow strap which in turn would be hooked to a heavy duty D ring on the front bumper of the Ramcharger, which for easier pulling (in reverse) is in four low. Here is the tricky part. The ramp had a 2 inch lip that the log would have to overcome before it could slide up the ramp and onto the trailer. Once it is on the ramp and in the bed of the trailer, the friction coefficient is very minimal, thus making for easy loading. I found the trick to overcoming this two inch lip was to put the truck in reverse, drag the log to the lip of the trailer until it made contact and then add a fair amount of tension. Once the tension is there, get out of the truck, take the cant hook and gently roll the log. It would always, without fail come right over the lip and onto the ramp. Once that part was done, resume pulling until log gets to the front of the trailer.

Using the above method, I was always able to load anywhere between 3 and six logs onto my trailer. So what happens if I needed to load more than 3 to 6 logs? That is where the hi-lift jack comes in! I'll explain if anybody is interested. The above method of log loading comes from doing too many tree jobs by myself and having to be one resourceful S.O.B.

i have the log dolly from sherrill. works great for all wood. large logs upright or allot of smaller logs across. cheap winches break over time. this dolly will be a great addition to your trailer.

We cut everyting into two or three firewood size lengths and then use a dolly form tractor supply co ($20/ 600# rating/perseason) and ramp them up on a trailer. Bungie cord the top or short rope prussiked by biner to keep the log steady for rough terrain. Over pump the tires a smidge.

i am not familar with the one from tractor supply, if it works well....great. i just think it would be a waste of money to use a winch. plus, you won't mark up the ground nearly as much.

the combo of my log dolly and log carrier, there isn't much more you use. next step is a mini skid steer.

The problem with a peavy and ramps is that you are downhill of the log being rolled up the ramp. Smaller log, not so much an issue. Bigger log, one slip of the peavy, well, you can imagine what might happen there.

I ran into this just last week on vacation, taking out a cabbage palm. Last job of the day. Dad's trailer is full and we just needed to get the 16" diameter trunk sections (3 at 8 feet each) and then the blasted top, which is heavy as heck, covered in frond stubs and if you cut into the meat of the thing its soakin wet, fibrous, mushy and pinches the bar almost immediately. I'd popped the top out first, then the next upper section and worked my way down (felling it at once would have put it into a pond). The base cut trashed my chain, but the tree was down.

The logs we moved by attaching the fatter end to a dolly with a cam-strap. Two choker slings near the front, a man on each side and we were moving them out, the rear on wheels and the front floating just a little above ground. We had three next to the trailer with relative ease. Then came the palm head.

This sucker was odd-shaped for the dolly, clumsy and very, very heavy. We balanced it on the dolly and with Dad pushin and me pullin we got it to the other logs at the side of the trailer. Then the task of getting them up onto the already packed trailer. Coming in from the backside was not really an option. We had to get em up and over the side. It was chin-height.

Granted, we could have re-sharpened the chain right there, made 9 or 12 pieces where there were only three, making a mess where there was no mess and humped them on and clean up the new mess, or we could get creative, get the four pieces on in 4 attempts and go home.

"So what'cha gonna do now, Kid?" Dad asks me. "We're gonna Parbuckle them on." I knew of, and had used the method before but had only recently learned of the term from a cool little book I came across at Amazon, titled Moving Heavy Things. It was under 12 bucks. It describes in good detail how heavy things were moved before the advent of power winches and hydraulics. Moving logs, barrels, boats, blocks of granite, engines, etc. Here is the link to that book.

Like Spidey and Ellison have brought up, parbuckling is using 2 means of mechanical advantage at once; an incline plane (ramp) and a pully to create a 2:1 mechanical advantage. In parbuckling you're rolling a round object up a hill whereby the round object you're rolling becomes the pully.

Set the ramps. Anchor the rope or ropes (we used two) to the far side of the trailer and run them down the ramps. Roll the log over the ropes to the base of the ramps. Run the free ends of the ropes back over the logs, up the ramps to the top of the trailer. Both men get up top, each takes a ropena and you both pull, hand-over-hand as the log rolls up the slope to the top. We were amazed how simple and easy this ended up being, until the clumsy, heavy palm top. For this we hooked both slings together to make one long sling, chokered the thing, set the ramps close together, hooked both ropes to the sling through a biner and skidded the thing up the ramp. There was added frictionm of the rope through the biner and of the palm head skidding up the ramps, but it was still surprisingly easy-and safe- we were not lifting, we were pulling and we were up above the load. And we were outta there.

Tree-machine, can this method be used with one guy. True, the peavey and ramps can be dangerous but it is easy to find the center of the log and roll it with one guy. Of course I wouldn't try getting a log up chin high with a peavey either.

Yea, I pretty much always work alone and have to figure this stuff out. I used to do a lot more of this kinda stuff using McGuiver methods. It really depends how heavy the load and how steep the incline. if you use the two lines you have to keep them even or one end or the other of the log will go up, or down.

Log arches are another really simple, effective and relatively affordable solution, not to getting them on a trailer, but the arch becomes the trailer.

This slideshow is 71 meg. I posted it to a server so it'll stream. I've never posted anything so large, but there's a slew of images from moving big logs, multiple smaller logs, boulders, rolls of chain-link fence, transplanting a tree, pulling roots out of the ground, lifting stumps off a cap cut and a few others. Hope it works. Give it a try. Click here for the video slideshow.

Hmm, thanks t-m. Love to learn something new and am looking forward to giving this a try. I'm kinda spoiled I guess-dad owns a logging company and mill so when I need logs loaded, I just whistle up a truck.:)

A corner mounted crane with an extendable boom would work great! Try to find one from an old tire co. truck and mount it near the right rear corner of your trailer.You would be surprised how well this works.

Latest posts

Back