Best way to move logs- ideas, anyone?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tree Machine said:
gin%20pole.jpg

I would have to say that image pretty much sums it up.

Oh my dios. I have got to have one of those. Does that beauty belong to you, tree?

The truck in the pics above is an old Dodge Power Wagon. They built them almost exactly the same from 1946 to 1968 and continued to build them for export from 1968 all the way up to 1978. You could order a myriad of options for the Power Wagon including a gin pole setup.

Makes you wonder why they don't make trucks like this anymore!!!

Check out this link to an old Dodge Power Wagon brochure:

http://tocmp.com/brochures/Dodge/PowerWagon/pages/scan00_jpg.htm

The Zrig gives 2x on 1 end and 3x on the other. So; if used to compress a line in pretightening by piggybacking onto a rig line and pulling into Porty; we have 3x on Load (rig line) and 2x on support/anchor. So if tension direction is same as tale/ pull input direction we get 3x.

But, as you say on a Gin pole, we would be pulling down on tail to pick up; so tail is moving opposite direction; so we have to use part of Z for a redirect. So we get 2x on Load and 3x on support/ anchor. Cuz we need the redirect function of the Z, to be able to pull down to lift up. Solution: place line through overhead pulley/ redirect (so we don't need Z's redirect function) and then piggyback Z (and it is now like we pre-tighten into Porty) onto it. Now we pull down and get 3x on Load.

Even better, learn to 2Hand properly. 2Handing will give 4x 1 Hand in either scenario. It will be better in piggy back position, as that will be 4x 1 Hand (but using 2) + 3x body weight used. 2Handing a Z, but using the redirect function (tail is pulled in opposite direction than work output/ tail is pulled down to move load up without a separate redirect pulley that piggybacking a redirected rigging line gives) will give 4x 1Hand (but using 2) + 2x bodyweight used. 2Handing properly will all ways give 2x the redirect / 2x the end tail points too; but on both ends instead of anchor end pulling differently than load end of jig. Now the 'circuit' of the flow of force is a closed circle; and anchor pull = load pull when you pull the tail.

With a foot cam, we can use bodyweight and leg lift force (instead of bodyweight and arm lift force) as force inputs. Done properly, you can use 2Handing for doubling leg lift input force
to up the ante even more on your side.

Piggy backing one jig on another multiplies their forces(as a Z-rig pulling on a lift lever will multiply thier forces together to hoist Load), insetting one inside the other is essentially letting the inner rig 2Hand the outer, or use both outputs of the inner jig/ neither pulling on anchor directly; 'wasting' that force by not applying it to work on Load. 2Handing captures the promised equal and opposite force and redirects it to pull on the load; instead of running away the equal and opposite direction.

2Handing a non-flexable device like a log on pivot(as opposed to 2Handing a flexible/ rope type device) is similar; but also more apparent on how it can help save weak back. By A) giving more force output on Load for same effort; therefore less effort needed per same Load and B) by routing the equal and opposite resistance through your chest to your other arm; to work on the load rather than equal and opposite force flowing thru back to get to legs.

Oooooooooops; guess my turn is up!:taped:

Last edited:
TimberJack_7 said:
The truck in the pics above is an old Dodge Power Wagon. They built them almost exactly the same from 1946 to 1968 and continued to build them for export from 1968 all the way up to 1978. You could order a myriad of options for the Power Wagon including a gin pole setup.

Makes you wonder why they don't make trucks like this anymore!!!

Check out this link to an old Dodge Power Wagon brochure:

http://tocmp.com/brochures/Dodge/PowerWagon/pages/scan00_jpg.htm

That is some brochure. Thanks

the best way

Hey there, get yourself a Cat 287 tracked skid-steer with a grapple bucket, and a heavy duty dump trailer that the cat fits in. Makes moving logs and other debris from the jobsite super easy. One guy can run this outfit while the rest of the crew moves on to the next one. This set up can be pulled with a 3/4 or 1-ton truck (as long as it is not a ford).

maxburton said:
I just bought a flatbed trailer and am toying around with the idea of putting logs on it to move them rather than hiring a log truck. Here are ideas I've had of how to get the on the the trailer. I'm hoping the community has tried and proven (or disproven) some of these or has better ideas. Thanks in advance, guys!

1: Cutting them up and using a log dolly. (I don't know a local place to buy them, though)

2: Using a winch to drag them up. (will the winch bend the frame?)

3: Using some kind of wheeled log-end-holder at one or both ends.

4: Combinations of 2 and 3.

5: Rolling them up the side. (tough for the big ones!)

5: Give up and get a log trailer.
:biggrinbounce2: 2 WINCHES AND SOME FABRICATION OF A PULL OUT RAMP AND A STRONG CAGE WITH AN OVERHEAD PULLEY SOMEWHERE IN THE MIDDLE OF THE TRAILER UP HIGH. DRAG LOG WITH WINCH 1 UP 2 MIDDLE OVERHEAD PULLEY. CONNECT WINCH 2. DISCONNECT WINCH 1 AND DRAG THE REST OF WAY UP. REPEAT UNTIL TRAILER IS FULL. PUSH IN PULLOUT RAMP SECURE LOAD AND HIT THE ROAD:cheers::rock:

Good questions from the redneck.

I can usually get right up to my logs. I'm lucky like that. I also usually cut them into firewood. Maybe I should just toss the stuff on after I cut it on site. I just like to cut logs at my shop on my own time rather than on the job. And a lot of the time I'm dumping the wood, so the less cutting the better.

As far as the winching goes, I saw some cheap ones today at Pep boys. I suspect they won't have nearly the power I'll need. I have a couple rope come-alongs, but that would be a lot of cranking. I'm thinking for loading logs whole, I would have to roll them up the side and onto the bed that way.
verrmer makes a neat machine i cant remember the #and letter name but i call it a mini skider with a graple on trackes they come in deisel or gas i have used them they are great verry powerful and fit in a32 inch gate will lift almoast 1000 lb six feet off the `ground $25,000

We had lot's of room and some free time. This worked great, we moved 6 logs and transported them 15 miles one way in about half day being careful. Had them milled for us.

100_0235.jpg

100_0232.jpg

100_0231.jpg

in the first picture that stihl guy posted they have the chain around a hitch ball. NEVER NEVER DO THIS, the ball can and will snap off which can and has caused death.

in the first picture that stihl guy posted they have the chain around a hitch ball. NEVER NEVER DO THIS, the ball can and will snap off which can and has caused death.

Dude, there was barely tension on the thing. besides, why wouldnt you be worried about the 2 small chains hooked together first, that is where we thought it would break :) I grew up on a farm, and pulled lots of things with chains including tractors, never lost one. But worry not, we were using caution. I also have a winch that goes in my front Grill Guard that we used, not as good of a picture though. :rockn:

verrmer makes a neat machine i cant remember the #and letter name but i call it a mini skider with a graple on trackes they come in deisel or gas i have used them they are great verry powerful and fit in a32 inch gate will lift almoast 1000 lb six feet off the `ground $25,000

Its a S600TX. I have one and its awesome. It will actually pick up close to 1200#. Gate size is 36".

Back