Bias truck tires

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
20131105_155517.jpg 20131030_161212.jpg 20131105_155505.jpg
This is the best I can do for pics to describe what I am talking about WS, when you break through the crust you are done, twice on this field an 18.4x38 couldn't reach bottom. You can't work things back and forth it turns into goo and just keeps getting deeper, here the best thing to do is stop and get twice the weight of what ever is stuck, (as in two trucks or tractors equal to the weight of the stuck one) hooked on and pull it out the first try. You never know here when you are going to break through until ya do, I kept all my tires out of the ruts from this 1/3 of a load and chopped the next ten full loads without issue on this side of the field.
The clay here will stick double ring tractor chains to the tires and take away their bite we haven't found any tire that won't load up with it. Truck tires bias or radial are a joke in comparison to double ring tire chains on a tractor.

My Cummins and radials pulled a 6 place snowmobile trailer with 6 machines on it through 20" of snow last weekend. Big deal? Not at all but i didn't get stuck.

I'm not buying the stuck snowmobile in crotch deep snow story.

Sent from my Autotune Carb

My Cummins and radials pulled a 6 place snowmobile trailer with 6 machines on it through 20" of snow last weekend. Big deal? Not at all but i didn't get stuck.

I'm not buying the stuck snowmobile in crotch deep snow story.

Sent from my Autotune Carb

Crotch deep to a midget's only what, 8-10"? My snowplow mounts don't even drag in that.

Not a whole lot to add as I run a tall skinny tire on my firewood rig...older Goodyear MT's (235/85/16 - E rating) and they get the job done when pulling wood from deep in the woods.

I also see some discussion regarding snow tires. If you are driving in some deep snow / snowy / icy conditions, nothing can touch a truly dedicated snow tire - not mud tires with studs. Siping is key as well as overall tread design and compound. I've been running Blizzaks on my personal vehicles for the last decade....to this day they still amaze me when I'm driving on ice or snow covered roads.

I will say your statement above is spot on. Over the last several years, all new music purchased in my house has been vinyl. Finally have a decent deck and would not trade it for any digital media. Next up, a nice tube amp...

The bonus of purchasing "new" vinyl today is that you usually get a free MP3 download for your ipod, PC or smartphone.

ok, back to the regularly scheduled program (topic). :)

In the olden daze, 50s to 70s, with just turntables and tubes and so on, anyone's, low end to high end gear, I simply could *not* hear and understand the lyrics in most tunes. Just couldn't. it sucked, only way to half hear them was read along withe the jacket sometimes.

Today with anything digital, I can hear the lyrics, talking the very cheapest computer speakers, the pair for two or three bucks brand, or even this laptops built in speaker, 50 cent earbuds, whatever.

'splain that, because I can't. My ears are worse, not better, yet can hear human voice inside tunes better.

We ain't talkin' tractors pullin' grain wagons les-or-more, we ain't talkin' close to the same thing.
I know, but it is the only pictures I have that show what I am talking about, the principle is the same, if your truck breaks through you are stuck and it won't matter what kind of tires you have or who is driving. There ain't no pushing the surface soil with the bumper, you have to get back on top of it. That wagon we hooked to the lift arms on one tractor to get lift and then held its nose down by pulling with two more in front to get it out, without ripping it into pieces. Sometimes we have water gush up like you hit a spring, its just water that seeps through the soil and sits on top of the clay.

The grooves and siping cut or molded into a tire is not the "tread" nathon918, that's called the pattern.
"Tread" is the portion of tire that actually contacts the roadway (even slicks have "tread" and offer the most traction on dry pavement).
Although technically the lugs do contact the surface at times, the "tread" of a bias tire is the portion used to contact the hard surface roadway (the center section)... the side lugs are utilized differently than the "tread". The lugs are technically the "shoulder", located between the "tread" and the sidewall.
Tread is overrated.

Tires? I prefer mine round.
Music? The better stuff today is being recorded on analog or 'analog enhanced' equipment. Nothing like it. I spent a fair amount of time in studios as a jazz drummer, and all the better studios were doing raw recording on 2" magnetic tape. Digital mixing and add-ons for sure, but the base was analog. Warm and honest.
I'll return you now to your regularly scheduled program, "The Tire Controversy". Available soon on vinyl or CD as a boxed set complete with a special director's cut.

Y'all go easy on Spidey. Besides radial tires and EPA stoves, he's still bitter about losing the pull tabs on his Budweisers, and the fact that it's impossible to find corduroy jeans anymore. Makes for a crabby guy, I tell ya.

He'll be along to refute this just as soon as he can get that TRS-80 of his rebooted, and the 8" floppy drive's been acting up a little lately.
I'm gonna be laughing about that all night. It even made reading the rest of this thread worthwhile.

Yeah... I gotta' say, it made me laugh pretty darn hard also‼
Heck, I may still even have a pair of corduroy jeans stuffed in the back of a drawer somewhere L-O-L
I'll look... and if I do, I'll put 'em on and have the wife take a picture just so you guys can have a good laugh.
Maybe I'll even have her take the picture while I'm holding a Budweiser and resting one foot on a bias ply tire... L-O-L
Sorry though... the TRS-80 is long gone... but I might still have an 8" floppy and an 8-track tape‼

I still have my 8-tracks. Found them in the folks attic while retrieving some other stuff for them at Christmas. Couldn't bring myself to bring them down and chuck 'em though.

Runnin radials I think :D :popcorn:
I've seen tractor pulls with less back n forth than this thread! :laugh:
Steve NW WI, ya better change the litter or dis pizzin contest gon get shhtankie!

Never get in a pizzin match with someone who drinks more "boxes of beer" than you. His bucket will always have more in it than yours!

The litterbox is getting clumbed up forsure.

I actually do know what Spider is talking about with the ooze and the deep lugs. It has been a LONG time, but we had a old gmc and I encountered a section of road that was more of a mud bog than I really wanted. The truck got thru it, but it was marginal. Mud has a way of really REALLY taking a bunch of power. The old V6 really was wheezing when I got to the other side. Related subject, snow can have the same effect but not as bad. Leaving Denver one morning in 2 1/2 feet of champagne powder pushing snow with the front bumper of a lifted 3" toyota pickup.... I discovered that it would move and drive, but 1st gear was really a little tall to get it started in. I was better off in low range and using a gear just a little lower than the normal first gear. Granted a 22R wasn't exactly gonna light the world on fire but it did get me home. There were a LOT of vehicles that were totally stranded, stuck, burried, etc.
The tires were Radials.....31/10.5 BFG all terrain TA, if you ever looked at that dog bone pattern... stop and think... what makes that work so good?

I threw out all my old 8 tracks... Cassettes were the next to go.... Still have a box of LP's somewhere.... maybe can find a turn table... anybody want a Reel to reel? I got a couple hanging around out here... (one with tubes in it) At a high enough sample rate the sound quality is "acceptable". My ears are like shot anyway. I actually think I still have a TRS-80 somewhere... might still boot.
Actually, that was the last computer I really understood anyway...

Sorry guys... no corduroy jeans hidden in the back of a drawer.
But I did find these‼
Best guess... the first one is 1968-69, second one maybe '74, and the last one '72 or'73... ??

me1.jpg

The guy with the speedo :rolleyes: ain't me, that's dad... I'm the guy on the left holdin' the Budweiser :D

me2.jpg

Notice the bias ply tires goin' on that Mustang :D

me3.jpg

I'm puttin' on some waders. It is getting deep in here :laugh:
I remember now.... we had some "old school" tires back in the day on the van... Made for some really great burnouts. Those nice square shoulders made it easier to get the tire chains on too. Something that Tim and I got really really good at. 2 minutes top, and we were back in there and rolling.

I am sure my cans of pepsi had pull off tops...

You know what that mustang would go for now?? ;)

Latest posts

Back