Big Dog Splitez Pump Question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wadeclinton

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello all,

I am in the research and planning phase of a new splitter project. My old faithful is running strong, but I want something more. I'm thinking low speed 20 HP Diesel, 5" or 6" cylinder, 24" stroke, horizontal arrangement, no log lift, and possibly a 4 way moveable wedge, etc.. I want to be able to blast through the soft White and Yellow Pine of the West Coast like butter, but still be able to power through the Knotty hard as heck oaks.
In searching Google led me to P&J Commercial. They're known for the SPLITez line of splitters and parts supply. After speaking with the shop I decided I have more research to do in component selection. They did direct me to an option they offer on the Big Dog line, Stacked Pumps. http://www.splitez.com/new-splitter.html Does anyone here use this system? If so are there any videos floating around? Can anyone comment on the arrangement of the pumps? Pro's? Cons?

A typical log splitter pump is 2 gear pump sections in one housing.

I'd imagine by using their stacked pump setup you can customize the pump sizes to make full use of the 20hp you have available.

I'm not sure how or if they unload one pump when pressure starts to rise like a typical 2 stage splitter pump does.

Or maybe they are just using one pump for the splitter cylinder and the smaller pump for the lift and wedge adjustment.

I was reviewing my notes from the conversation with James. I think he has the pumps set up to work one after the other not series or parallel. He spoke of having pressure reliefs on them to activate based on how much pressure they would sense from the cylinder exertion. When one pump would trigger the valving the other would auto relief into the hydraulic tank. I think they are two different sized single stage pumps one designed for high speed and the other for power. Kind of a super two stage pump. I have seen stacked pumps before on drilling equipment, but they were not configured or used to power one single ram or gear motor. I may have to rethink my ideas. LKQ engine distributors mentioned a 16 hp Liquid cooled diesel. I may need to call them back about that.

Latest posts

Back