Big Hickory blow down means pull out 090 & 056

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

7oaks

DRUGSTORE LOGGER
Reaction score
A buddy had a large hickory blow down at his fishing camp on the So. Fork of the Potomac a couple weeks ago. It nearly wiped out the new stairs from camp down to the river. It was also blocking his access to the steps. He had been admiring my larger saws so suggested we head that way after work one day this past week. Of course I jumped at the opportunity/excuse to use a couple of my favorite saws.

-----

Here I am with the 090 starting to block up the tree.

attachment.php

-----

Here's one of his employees who wanted to join the party. Just a side note - the bar is a 36" Stihl that I had just finished rehabing. I trued the bar rails then sanded it to bare metal. Next I painted it with Stihl's gray paint. Finally I cooked it on the wood stove for a couple of hours. It looks great and I wanted to see how it would hold up in use. I must say I was very impressed. Bouncing around in the truck for a couple hours then running two tanks of gas through it and not a scratch or wear mark on the paint. I'm sold.

attachment.php

-----

Here's my buddy trying out the 056. He was impressed!

attachment.php

-----

Here I am with the 056. It has a 28" bar and at this point the tip was barely making it through the bark on the opposite side. And of course I forgot the hearing protection:mad:. My ears are still ringing.

attachment.php

I am really jealous of those long, straight stems; seems like all the trees I get to cut have grown up all alone and sprout limbs everywhere.

Nice to give the saws a workout from time to time, even better to help someone out, and hickory to boot! Sounds like a good day indeed.

Mark

I am really jealous of those long, straight stems; seems like all the trees I get to cut have grown up all alone and sprout limbs everywhere.

Nice to give the saws a workout from time to time, even better to help someone out, and hickory to boot! Sounds like a good day indeed.

Mark

I forgot to mention the fried clams and beer afterwards. It truely was a good day.

Thanks for the pics Carl!

I would have come for the BEER! NOT the clams!!! LOL!!!

Looks like ya'll had a full day of work and evening of good food and drink.

Hearing protection, eye protection, chaps....
I'm glad Ramrod said it so I didn't have to. :laugh:

Cutting with the saw held at or above shoulder level is not a good habit to get into, either, especially with those big saws. In pic #2, I would have dropped the log on the ground if at all possible.

Sorry for the safety lecture, but chainsaw injuries are ugly.

Other than that, it looks like a beautiful place and it looks like loads of fun. And that's one sweet looking 090. Thanks for posting. :clap:

In pic #2, I would have dropped the log on the ground if at all possible.

I had one of those moments a couple of weeks ago. Blowdown, tension, yadda yadda -- I figured I would take it from the small end so that if it set up on me, I'd be out of the way. Great plan, except that it worked... it DID set up on me, and I didn't change my strategy until I was sawing well over my head. Fortunately, I was on the uphill side of a bit of a slope and I was running the MS260/16", which is a very nimble setup.

Once I had everything on the ground, I saw my error: after relieving the initial tension, I should have dropped the rest of the log to the ground so that it would be under no significant bind and I wouldn't have to work over my head. I think I got sloppy because it was such a small tree -- 12" at the butt -- but very limby. Once I had it limbed I should have re-assessed the situation and adapted my plan accordingly.

Cutting with the saw held at or above shoulder level is not a good habit to get into, either, especially with those big saws. In pic #2, I would have dropped the log on the ground if at all possible.

Other than that, it looks like a beautiful place and it looks like loads of fun. And that's one sweet looking 090. Thanks for posting. :clap:

I cut with the wood at waist level or much higher all the time. It is less than ideal but it can easily be done safely. we skid lots and lots of steep side hill firewood and not only are the hardwood tops all tangeled in other trees but they are usually 3-6' off the ground. I usually take my time and make sure i have good footing. I clear brush away before cutting the big stuff and i always watch the log to see what its gonna do so i can react and get out of the way.

Save some of that hickory for cooking. I have a couple barbecue guys in my area who are always looking to buy or trade for hickory.

Looks like fun. At least the log was not on the ground. I wonder how the loggers of the 70's ever got by with only a hard hat, I am sure if you ask one you may have to ask twice though.

Hearing protection, eye protection, chaps....

You are correct on all three counts. I've just been cutting since before any of us ever heard of chaps and ear protection. But, I should know better by now.

That 056 is a loud saw! Especially the MagII with the side exaust. Looks like a good amount of fun.:)

It sure is and I can now strongly recommend not holding it just a few inches from your ear. :dizzy:

We thought about that but the bank was very steep and we were afraid that if we dropped the heavy log from the stump it might roll down hill, destroying his newly built steps and then into the river. But that said, you are probably still right. :greenchainsaw:

Full agreement there! Do as I say not as I do! The leg you save might be your own!

I had one of those moments a couple of weeks ago. Blowdown, tension, yadda yadda -- I figured I would take it from the small end so that if it set up on me, I'd be out of the way. Great plan, except that it worked... it DID set up on me, and I didn't change my strategy until I was sawing well over my head. Fortunately, I was on the uphill side of a bit of a slope and I was running the MS260/16", which is a very nimble setup.

Once I had everything on the ground, I saw my error: after relieving the initial tension, I should have dropped the rest of the log to the ground so that it would be under no significant bind and I wouldn't have to work over my head. I think I got sloppy because it was such a small tree -- 12" at the butt -- but very limby. Once I had it limbed I should have re-assessed the situation and adapted my plan accordingly.

We did cut the hinge to lower the log as we went up it and probably should have taken the time to do it a time or two more. I guess we are just a bunch of "get it done" guys! :cheers:

Save some of that hickory for cooking. I have a couple barbecue guys in my area who are always looking to buy or trade for hickory.

Yes it is great for smoking and BBQing. I'm told that green shag bark hickory is the preferred wood for smoking amongst the hill people out here in the east.

Where's the mill????????

I've got so many logs backed up for the mill I could spend a month doing nothing but milling. Also this area along the river is so soft that it would be really messy getting these heavy logs off the river's edge and since this isn't my buddies property, but a rented fishing camp, we couldn't mess it up.

I think I need to have a milling GTG just to get a head with the backed up logs. LOL

Mark

Me Too!

I spend more time limbing then bucking up my firewood.

I have loads and loads of hickory. PM me if you need any.

The tree in this thread is a big shagbark as we call em round here. They almost pour water when theyre green like that. Pretty tough ole birds too. I like to cut hickory though. They barely have limbs, but the limbs they do have are like rubber arent they....
No oysters for me but would have loved to been there with the 660.:clap: Hard to get together with the pals these days.

Latest posts

Back