Big Hickory blow down means pull out 090 & 056

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just a side note - the bar is a 36" Stihl that I had just finished rehabing. I trued the bar rails then sanded it to bare metal. Next I painted it with Stihl's gray paint. Finally I cooked it on the wood stove for a couple of hours. It looks great and I wanted to see how it would hold up in use.

Curious about the paint here: is the Stihl paint just a regular bake on enamel like I can find at the hardware store, or is there something special about it?

Has anyone tried an enamel hardener?
http://www.pivco.net/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2_9&products_id=274 <-- like this

Thanks,
-Steve

Curious about the paint here: is the Stihl paint just a regular bake on enamel like I can find at the hardware store, or is there something special about it?

Has anyone tried an enamel hardener?
http://www.pivco.net/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2_9&products_id=274 <-- like this

Thanks,
-Steve

Steve...

The STIHL paint is a regular rattle can type of paint which I haven't heard many good reports on but have read where some don't like it. I had purchased a can several years ago and it was just sitting around. After having success baking other implement paints I thought I'd give it a try - nothing to lose since if it didn't work I could just sand it off.

Well, I was very satisfied, both with the color and with the results of baking it. We didn't baby it at all that day and it shows no sign of flaking, scratching or any abrasion. But, I surely don't know why STIHL calls it gray. It is a cream color not too far from white.

I haven't tried the hardener. I'm not much into painting - just when I have to and I'm finding between powder coating and baking regular paint I am meeting all my needs.

Some 056's came with brakes. I've got one with and without. My workhorse is brakeless for noodle clearance:)

Good point. Still havent ran one of the 056s, thought I had one coming, but deal fell through.

Carl, you should live a little closer and I could help you out. :cheers:

Back