Big nasty leaner, no crane access, would like some opinions/ advice

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey guys,
The trees are coming down wednesday and thursday of this week.

I have been swamped with storm work and my 3120 is in the shop getting a new clutch.

Hopefully I will have the video edited this weekend if all goes well. I'll post some pics when I have them.

I encountered a big nasty leaner in a private club in Athens, TX just this past Spring. Luckily, I was able to get her off on my friend Tom and made my exit.

Jeez, remind me to never to business with you.:tongue2:

The tree looks like it can be climbed even with what might a big rot hole close to the trunk. When I first saw it I thought to pull it over. If you can set the right ropes, cut the right notch, have the right truck to pull it and the right driver it looks easy enough. Of course there is always that " balls in throat" with everything we do.I thought that is why we did it. Just do it right so's ya don't look stupit. What ever is done I know I would want to handle the trunk section with one cut at the bottom tied to a heavy 4x4. Maybe zip out the tops on a line.

Yeah that tree is a piece of dangerous crap. We don't have cottonwoods, a lot of poplar and basswood. Basswood is scary even when alive and healthy. I hope you got big numbers on that job and asked the client what they were thinking waiting so long. Really, I have got to know what's its like to live under a tree like that in this modern world.

update on the job

So far it's going OK. We got pushed out early yesterday because of wind so we called it quits around 3, today we were pushed out early by a lightning storm at 2..... damn mountain weather. Luckily I kept tomorrow fairly open so we will finish up then.

I way overestimated the size of the leaner..... it's only 47.5 inch dbh. Seriously though I overestimated the easiness of the first tree. I had completely forgotten about a small shed that is directly under it. So I had to rig everything out when I thought I was going to be able to crash it down. I ended up bringing in another climber to help out today because of the set back yesterday.

right now we have the one tree down to a 15 foot stump and the one over the house is mostly limbed out. I drilled the tree today and was pretty surprised by how solid it seemed all the way through, these things are actually pretty healthy. I have been making big cuts and the holding wood has been holding. We were even lifting large pieces over the shed today and the wood held. I will most likely pull over the spar tomorrow with the two trucks in the field and a 5:1 pulling off the 15 foot stump of the other tree 90 degrees to the trucks. The lean of the tree is not directly back over the house so the 5:1 will hold it up against the lean as the trucks pull it out into the field. I will also put a third truck in the field to anchor the base of the tree, this is to prevent any splitting, twisting, or the tree setting back. I only actually have to move the tree against the lean 3-5ft to get it into a safe dz. Optimally I will be able to pull it back perpendicular to the house and against the lean.

I have got some good video and hopefully will have it edited over the weekend. Assuming I don't crash that spar into the house tomorrow, in which case I'll probably be to ashamed to show my face around here again.

Oh yeah.... I nicked my damn sling today when blocking some pieces down...... dammit

Well, here it is

Set her down today, drop went real nice.

These were actually really cool trees. The home owner's Grandmother planted them 80 years ago. They were also up at around 7000 ft. I don't normally see cottonwoods at that elevation. these trees were also both extremely healthy, not a piece of deadwood on them. There was no rot in the trunk at all, very surprising. It is a shame these trees had to come down..... but I am glad I am the guy that got to take them down. I envy you guys that get to take down big ones every day.

Here is the link to the video ‪big drop‬‏ - YouTube

Very nice! Man, that was a serious leaner. It's a great feeling to see one like that on the ground and no property damage... :)

See? I told ya. :msp_thumbup:

I know, you just needed a little confidence boost - a bunch of #######s like us telling you to make the money shot! Hell, I wouldn't have taken my own advice! Yer NUTS! Ha ha, just joking, nice drop.

Last edited:
Haha yeah Dan, it was basically your post that made me decide to drop it.

All joking aside though after looking at that tree a while dropping it was the safest way to go. There was no way to rig anything down because there wasn't enough room, and even a 2" cookie of that tree would weigh 50 pounds, my skinny ass can't chuck that four-five feet to clear the house when standing in spikes. I had redundant systems in place and took every possible precaution when dropping it. .....damn that was a fun day.

Thanks to everyone that put their two cents in.

Its always a big relief and a rush when they are down! I have a vid of doing the same thing of a 120' cottonwood. I cant figure out how to upload it to my computer from my recorder. My brother will have to help me.

pulling trees

Nice drop

A thought for anyone considering such a job in the future...

Residential guys don't work around skidders to much. If you can get one out for the "day" with a big fast hydraulic winch they can pull over trees so fast the branches will bend back. I had been in the habit of hooking the winch line choker at only reaching height [eight feetish] above the hinge on trees like 100' very heavy leaning alders[45 degree type stuff]. I would cut the trees with hefty holding wood still left [they would snap off otherwise] and the winch would pull them over so fast the trees would bend away from the pull like a strong wind was blowing.

The odd tree does not make it but if you took the time to climb the choker higher no problem. Of course the higher you go the less speed you get on the pull.

Something to keep in the back of your mind: Like a crane, the big hydraulic winch on a skidder, in a few minutes, can make a two day rigging job a half day clean up job.

This is the first thread I have read on Arborsite & I enjoyed the hell out of it. I am obviously new to the forum but a 15 year tree climbing vet. I understood every tactic thrown in the mix but you ended up doing exactly what I would have done. It's 12:30 on a Saturday night here in Jersey & I can't wait to get to work Monday morning fellas. Thanks for the video & good job!

Well have you thought of jump cutting 4 or five foot sections? Let me explain after limbing down to a spar tie 3/4 bull rope in middle of section to be jumped or just below middle as above will make it topple rather than jump. You will need long bull line so that the pulling rig ie truck can be so far back in the field the the rope is nearing horizontal angle. I do this quite often and it will work if done correctly. Any way make a cut no notch facing the way you want the section to go then make the mismatch cut leaving just enough holding wood to make it jump off when pulled hard with truck. I normally pre-tighten but i'm in a bucket but i can make a pretty large section jump ten foot safely! Cottonwood is rather scarce here so u may try it in the other tree on a block or two so you see how much holding wood to leave for the best jump. When done right the chunk will break free with enough force that it jumps straight out horizontally before gravity acts upon it. Note: if in trees like ash or known splitters extra precautions may become necessary to prevent spar from splitting and causing you harm. I would limit the size chunks to five feet or smaller but this method has been in my arsenal for years. It needs to be done right, there is a learning curve but it can magically make ease of a hard situation. Remember the block needs to break free after a significant pull to work proper. Or else cut where it breaks free rather easy and truck is gunned to jump the block I prefer making the thing jump after significant pull because it jumps further but again i'm usually in my bucket doing this. Many factors come into play for the methods safety in some trees like pine you will want it to break free rater quickly so the spar dont pound you. It needs some expertize but its likely how i would handle the big wood in your scenario after a practice on the tree not over house!

Note: this method has been used safely but can be dangerous so if you are not absolutely certain of what i'm describing please do not attempt it. I am merely explaining my experience and options of handling large wood and will not assume responsibility if you attempt this method and cause damage or get hurt.

Last edited:
Lol I see you fell it, good job; I may have done the same with my winch! I posted about jump cuts before I seen the vid anyway you might try a jump cut sometime too. I heard the relief scream lol i'm glad it went good for you:)

Back