Big old saws VS Big old elm

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MOE

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Got together with a couple friends today to cut up a big old elm that died from dutch elm this year. We used it as a chance to play with our older saws. We used a Jonsereds 70E, poulan 5200, husky 2100, stihl 051, mac 650, mac PM700 and a poulan 6000. It was fun to go old school.

Nice pics!!! Cut up some dead elm earlier this year myself. Was splitting it with the log splitter today. What a mess that is. Anyway, nice pics and nice older saws!!

Nice pics and nice saws.

I haven't cut an elm with bark on it in the last 4 years. Almost all of the elm died around here or is well on its way.

i really enjoyed those photos! there is something truly magical in using a big old heavy saw . . . gives me chills and a lot of respect for the old timers who ran them all day long.

Nice pics and nice saws.

I haven't cut an elm with bark on it in the last 4 years. Almost all of the elm died around here or is well on its way.

The elm dying off fast around here. Most of them are about 12" diameter and about 25 years old. They are new growth after the last run of dutch elm. This one was about 36" at the base. It survived the first round but got it this time. Some of the bark is off or falling off. The thick part of the trunk is about 25' on this one. There are also a lot of big limbs......lots of firewood from one tree.

Nice Pics!!!

Some great old classics you all was using...Love to hear the old Mac's run....

Latest posts

Back