Big old Stihl, what have I done?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fearofpavement

Trying them all
Reaction score
Well, I was innocently walking around a flea market today when this big Stihl caught my attention. There were no markings on it to indicate what it was. The seller tried to tell me it was an 091 based on a casting mark inside the air filter cover. I didn't buy that but it looks to be in the 070/090 style of saw. I hemmed and hawed over it and finally decided that rather than take a risk I would get some photos and post them on here and then based on my new found data would call the guy up if I wanted to deal. Wife goes to truck to get camera and in the meantime I fired the thing up... hmmm, nice! Wife comes back, "I left the camera at home". So I make the guy and offer, he takes it, I bring the saw home wondering the whole time if I made a "you suck" deal or if it is an "I'm a sucker" deal.

The saw appears to have been painted, the interior of the parts are the bright Stihl orange. The place where it looks like there should be a serial number is blank. Doesn't appear to have been filed but perhaps ground with a whiz wheel or something. (not recently). There is one fin missing in the recoil grill (recent break). There is a compression release on top that seems to be spring loaded and apparently you have to hold it in while pulling the rope?

The seller said he paid someone $80.00 to get the saw in order. Apparently that didn't include sharpening the chain. I am thinking the spur sprocket is .404 but not sure of the chain. The bar is a hardnose, at least 2' (didn't measure) and overall the saw seems to run well and be in pretty good shape.

Ok, so what is it? I can't tell but I'm sure people on here can. Pics coming soon.

:popcorn:

Since I had a enjoyable day with the family buying a beautiful red boar goat doe and selling puppies, I hope you also scored and I get to tell you personally that " YOU SUCK"! However, that will remain a unanswered quandery until we see some pics. Wish ya luck on this one!

Now to determine how bad you suck........... ballpark figure of what it took to bring that one home?

You did good. That is an 090 and they are a fine, heavy saw. Welcome to the club.

Al.

Well, without getting too specific, let's just say that the price I paid was about the same as used MS290's go for around here.

I think we need to come up with a degree system or scale system for how bad these folks with their scores suck. To say "you suck" just feels kinda empty and complacent- like it's not sucking enough.:laugh:

I may not suck as bad as you think. From looking at images online, I think that what I have is an 070 and not an 090. This based on nuances in the design of the front handle. All the 090's I saw pics of have a vertical brace coming down near the muffler. Some 090's have a brace coming down near the top of the dawgs. The 070 handle doesn't have any vertical bracing so that is what I think I may have here. Not sure though. Is there any definitive way to make a determination?

I may not suck as bad as you think. From looking at images online, I think that what I have is an 070 and not an 090. This based on nuances in the design of the front handle. All the 090's I saw pics of have a vertical brace coming down near the muffler. Some 090's have a brace coming down near the top of the dawgs. The 070 handle doesn't have any vertical bracing so that is what I think I may have here. Not sure though. Is there any definitive way to make a determination?
Yes, it's probably one of those "junk" 070's. I will give you a used MS290 for it so you don't feel so bad.:laugh:

252982d1347742834-img_1429-jpg

252983d1347742843-img_1430-jpg

252984d1347742857-img_1432-jpg

I'm thinking somewhere around YOU SUCK! and YOU MAX SUCK!!!

Last edited:
Yep the "suck-O-meter" here on the puter is sitting at 12:00 high. Thanks a pretty good level for a flea market find :D

Back