Big old Stihl, what have I done?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well you have a 58mm bore, a 3 shoe clutch and an 070 style starter. I'd say you have an 070...

I agree completely. Everything points to 070 and nothing to 090 so it is an 070. (rats!)

Handle 070
clutch 070
recoil starter 070
cylinder 070

It appears to be all original best I can tell. ie, not a frankensaw. Thanks everyone for the id help.

It appears to be all original best I can tell. ie, not a frankensaw. Thanks everyone for the id help.

Having owned about 25 of these 1106 or 1109 gear drives now it it easy to spot the differences and know what fits what.

Many little changes but many parts will interchange.

One thing that the 1106 series can say is that it IS THE LONGEST running production saw EVER. 1958 to current being produced in aftermarket.

A few group hug shots from the past.

dogshow015.jpg

CIMG3243.jpg

regardless if its a 090 or a 070, you still SUCK. What flea market were you at? Im gonna have to go there.

Having owned about 25 of these 1106 or 1109 gear drives now it it easy to spot the differences and know what fits what.

Many little changes but many parts will interchange.

One thing that the 1106 series can say is that it IS THE LONGEST running production saw EVER. 1958 to current being produced in aftermarket.
...........................................................................................................

Since you apparently have sold a bunch of these, what's the market price for 070's these days? Also, have you ever adapted a 3002 mount bar to fit? If so, how did that work?
Thanks

Last edited:
He had an MS250 with a bunch of JB weld on it too. Didn't inquire on that one.

There's a shock.

Regarless whether it was an 090 or its gutless smaller brother (right, gutless!), for the price you paid YOU SUCK SOOOOOOOO BADDDDD!!!! :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:

Since you apparently have sold a bunch of these, what's the market price for 070's these days? Also, have you ever adapted a 3002 mount bar to fit? If so, how did that work?
Thanks

Always had a pretty good supply of large mount so never needed to alter one. Nothing a drill press and grinder cant handle though.

A clean 070 might bring 5-7 hun but yours needs some tlc.

Running condition and appearance dictates the value. Parts value alone is 2-3 hun non running

With an aftermarket top end and carby it dont take much to make a runner.

With a few parts upgrade you can also build a 90. 66mm slug and jug drop right in.

The smaller clutch is good up to a 36" bar but past that you need the 6 shoe.

A clean 070 might bring 5-7 hun but yours needs some tlc.

TLC as in cosmetics or did you see a problem I didn't notice?

Running condition and appearance dictates the value. Parts value alone is 2-3 hun non running

With an aftermarket top end and carby it dont take much to make a runner.
That makes sense, this one runs great. Haven't put it in wood yet though.

With a few parts upgrade you can also build a 90. 66mm slug and jug drop right in.
sounds tempting....
The smaller clutch is good up to a 36" bar but past that you need the 6 shoe.
Or else the clutch is prone to slipping? Not sure what difference it would make if a long bar and light touch or a short bar dogged in.... I guess maybe a long bar dogged in would really put a load on it...

Thanks for that info. First thing I intend to do is sharpen up the chain on the existing bar and try the saw. If I like it, I will modify the 41" Stihl 3002 bar I have to fit this saw and get a .404 chain for that. If I like that, I will add this saw to the line-up for "big stuff" and if it doesn't meet my expectations it will show up here in the classifieds. I don't have any big wood lined up right now so that could be months...

The 070 "Lightning" had at least 9.2 HP and the Lightning S and 090 had 12-13 HP.

That was the ol' SAE bto hp, that Stihl used in some of the marketing - and aren't comparable to the hp currently in use.

In "normal" hp, the numbers were 6.5 and 8.5 to 9.0 for the 090.

That was the ol' SAE bto hp, that Stihl used in some of the marketing - and aren't comparable to the hp currently in use.

In "normal" hp, the numbers were 6.5 and 8.5 to 9.0 for the 090.

The only thing we have to go by is what Stihl claimed at the time they were selling new.

If those standards have changed to this day then you can write Stihl a letter and let them know they are a bunch of misleading boneheads. :hmm3grin2orange:

1966 137cc rated 12HP 106cc rated 9HP.

gs2.jpg

When the 090 was released in 1969 it claimed 13HP due to the new design cylinder and larger carb.

O90.jpg

Last edited:
Well after a lot of effort I have the chain looking somewhat normal. Not sure what kind of screwball sharpened it prior but it was a pretty pathetic grinder job. Now I am about to throw some chips. Too bad all I have is a bunch of 14" pine rounds. At any rate I should be able to get an idea of what I have here....

I'll report back. (gotta fit some work in here and there too, lol)

Glad to here she's ready to go. It'll make a mess of those 14" pine logs, but don't expect too much - I should think it'll be pretty underwhelming. But at least you'll be able to check your sharpening in time for big stuff...
The only thing we have to go by is what Stihl claimed at the time they were selling new.

If those standards have changed to this day then you can write Stihl a letter and let them know they are a bunch of misleading boneheads. :hmm3grin2orange:

Stihl didn't do anything wrong, they were just using popular units of power at the time of printing. However as Sawtroll and me have said these are not our common units of power used today. The units I referred to - 8.5 for 090 and 6.5 for 070 - come out of the Stihl service manual for each saw. On newer saws where you can compare those figures with ones tested by independent, respected companies they come out very close to Stihl's figures. Where did you get the 9HP for the 090 Sawtroll?

Horsy power, so what...

TQ is what makes thing move and the bigger the stuff who cares about HP... I'll take my 280 HP 400+ FPT stump pulling mountain moving SBC any day over the nasty punched 500+HP 302 DZ motor in the ol race car. I dought the DZ motor makes much more than 250 FPT over much of the RPM band. I must admit it is a lot of fun to let the clutch fly at 8Gs and pullin' gears at 10-11. As young man I liked high reving stuff but there is no replacement for displacement! TQ RULES...

Torque, hp, whatever.... But this saw has a lot of something. It made me smile. Not happy with the chain yet. It cut well at first but dulled quickly. Could dog the thing and it just kept chewing. I am going to try to sharpen the chain again and give it another try. Auto oiler works, manual oiler works.

The only issues I have noted with the saw thus far are it needs a gas cap as the existing one is chipped and leaks and there is a little plastic clip for the choke rod that is broken off. (I think). The choke works as is and the saw starts in one or two pulls cold and one pull hot.

Idle may need some tweaking but the H screw seems about right as it four strokes when lifting in the cut.

I wasn't able to test the saw to the extent I would like as the logs I am cutting are only 16 to 20 inches long. I did find some that were about 20" in diameter but just not the same as bucking a trunk.

I think that once I try the 25" bar (I measured it) once more, I am going to order a new chain for the 41" bar and then drill holes to make it fit the saw. I saw some for sale that are double drilled right from the factory so apparently it works that way. Good chance to try out my new oversize drill press...

Smiles so far.

Spent $51 bucks on a chain. Next project to mod the 3002 bar to fit. Ordered a fuel cap off the web. Now, gotta find something BIG to cut...

nice find . dont find many(if any) of that series floating down south here.

They are out there, you just have to be patient. My running1961 Lightning bow saw (with good top cover) popped up on CL one day. Too bad for you cats trying to get him to ship.... I even got the original owners manual and warranty card (!)

I have a line on a couple other local 1106 saws, but nothing has come home yet.

Latest posts

Back