Big old Stihl, what have I done?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
either way its a sweet deal. i just picked up a basket case 070 with a box of NOS parts. easy enought to build into an 090

Well, earlier today I basically knew nothing about the 1106 series saws. I have done as much research as I can in the last few hours. Best I can tell, the 070 and 090 were made concurrently and the biggest difference is displacement.

One thing I can't get my mind wrapped around that I found on Acres site is that the 070 is 6.5 hp and the 090 is 13 hp. I just don't see how 30cc could make that huge of a difference on the same design. Is that erroneous info?

It also appears that by just changing the piston/cylinder the 070 can be upgraded to the same power as the 090. Is that the case or are there other issues as well. ie, carb, rod etc?

And my last question, does the 070/090 series take the 3002 bar mount or is it something different. I ask because I have a Stihl 41" bar in 3002 mount and .404 pitch. If the saw fits that bar, I will probably keep it. If it doesn't fit...

There isn't a lot of sales movement of these saws. Completed listings on eBay showed just a few selling in the $525 to $650 or so but most of those had issues of one sort or another. That relieves me a bit because when I purchased this, I did it with the assumption it was a fairly valuable saw but wasn't sure. I will do some of the additional checks suggested to confirm its identity but am resolved that it is an 070. (based primarily on the handle design)

Well, no matter what, I'm going to play with it some.

Interesting find. The recoil appears to be 070. Take off the top cover and check the location of the decomp.

Chris.

Starter and clutch are 070.

Final verdict is to look at decomp arm location.

CIMG1136.jpg

Ok, that lever looks easy enough to check out. Maybe tomorrow afternoon. Wonder why they changed it from one cylinder to the other...

nice score mate. If you take a more zoomed-out picture of the clutch we can get an idea of scale, and even better if you took that cover off to count the number of shoes. Also, I forget the thread but there was one comparing the appearance of the 090 vs 070 cylinders. You can count the number of fins where the bulge in the wall goes in/out but I can't remember how many means which.

BUt based on the starter it's looking like an 070. Awesome saw, I've got one for when the going gets tough

Last edited:
Yes Ric does, but those HP figures are way off.
Well they're probably not wrong, but they certainly aren't the HP we normally deal with...

Ive got the 090 down as 8.5HP and the 070 as 6.5. Not the most impressive figures - but it's the torque department they really get going in. The 070 is only 0.1 ftlb behind the 880, and the 090 way above everything stock that I can find figures for

I also like the way that add says "only about 26lbs", then later it mentions they are actually 28.6lbs!

With all the input, I think I have enough additional data to sort this out. Just need some time now to take a peek under the hood. Thanks.

You did good. That is an 090 and they are a fine, heavy saw. Welcome to the club.

Al.

It is impossible to determine from a 090 and a 070 based on pictures. All the parts interchange and are easily swappable including clutches, recoils and top ends. A six shoe clutch does not mean it is a 090 as someone could have put it on a 070.. A recoil is easily and many times changed. The top end is obviously the most important. A 66mm top end and six shoe clutch are indicative of a 090 but heck I take parts out of the totes and put them together in several combos.

Bill

Regarding the bar...
I discovered that the 1106 series has a different bar mount configuration than the other large Stihls and a 3002 mount will not fit. While the bar slot is the same width both the tensioner hole and the oil feed hole are in different locations. I think it may be possible to drill another set of adjuster holes in the 3002 bar but it would have very limited adjustment before the oil hole was not over the oil slot anymore.

With a 41" bar, I don't think it would work as just a modicum amount of wear on the chain would require significant movement of the bar to take up slack. With a very short bar, it would probably work.

Not sure what the availability of bars are for the 1106 series but that finding makes the saw less desirous to me.

Comparison pic of bars. The line is to show the difference in the oil hole. The adjuster hole difference is obvious. The second photo isn't very informative but the bar is stamped Stihl, 1106, .063. (it is a hard nose so no pitch). The .404 chain is also stamped Stihl. (the top bar is from the 070)

Last edited:
As long as I was probing around, I pulled the muffler and looked at the piston which was perfect. The far side of the cylinder looked "black" and not shiny. Not sure what is with that. It's a pretty small portal so wasn't able to get a very good look. I suppose if I was more curious I could take it to the hangar and stick a boroscope in there to see what is looks like. I checked the compression cold and it came up with 146psi which I am assuming is good for a large bore saw.

Looked at everything else I could see with the covers off and everything is looking good. ie, no noticeable damage, cracks, etc. I don't think this thing has all that many hours on it. Of course there is no way to know for sure but things all seem to have about the same amount of wear. Can't say it's the original bar because maybe all the replacement bars say Stihl on them too. Not sure. Just curious to have a bar and chain that are both stamped Stihl... The bar definitely has some wear on it, it isn't like new.

Few more pics showing bottom of saw, inside of top cover, piston, into cylinder.

Well you have a 58mm bore, a 3 shoe clutch and an 070 style starter. I'd say you have an 070...
It is impossible to determine from a 090 and a 070 based on pictures. All the parts interchange and are easily swappable including clutches, recoils and top ends.
Bill
but if you don't class the presence of a 66mm bore and a 6 shoe clutch as signs of an 090 over an 070 - what do you? Name badge? As you say they all swap over but they are also the only defining factor. In fact if you can't use those two differences (the only meaningful ones as far as I know) you might as well just call them all a 1106 and forget the 090/070 label. Unless you go off the serial number and have some reference showing what that was when it came from the factory.
Regarding the bar...
I discovered that the 1106 series has a different bar mount configuration than the other large Stihls and a 3002 mount will not fit. While the bar slot is the same width both the tensioner hole and the oil feed hole are in different locations. I think it may be possible to drill another set of adjuster holes in the 3002 bar but it would have very limited adjustment before the oil hole was not over the oil slot anymore.
how about drilling another oiler hole too? Then filling the old one if it looks, but it shouldn't with the chain moving

harrygrey how about drilling another oiler hole too? Then filling the old one if it looks said:
I thought about that. the hole is pretty close to the edge of the bar so it would be difficult to fill it with something that wouldn't protrude through the hole. It would at that point impede the movement of the driver links through the slots. I am pretty sure just leaving the extra holes open would affect efficient oiling of the bar. (keep in mind this is a 41" long bar and it'll need plenty of oil)

Somebody on here must have tried it before. Maybe they'll chime in.

I have the 41" Stihl 3002 bar that is in fair condition and wouldn't mind adapting it if I was pretty sure it would work but I don't want to screw it up. Never know when an MS880 might show up unexpectedly...

I don't really need a saw the size of the 070 if it isn't running a longer bar than I already have. I have an 066 with a 32" and an MS660 with a 30". Not sure what this bar is but maybe 28" or 25"? (I didn't measure it yet)

I was looking into 42" bars for the 066 for occasional use on big oaks but I just don't want to drop that kind of coin on a "might need" purchase.

Latest posts

Back