BIG SCORE, Need Help.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well got the trees home this morning that was ¾’s of the battle. Now just need to make it stove friendly. Looking forward to the locust experience next winter.
Thanks for all the replies this board is awesome!

Great Firewood. Black Locust splits pretty easy green. A little tougher then oak, but nowhere near as tough as elm.

Those look like two really nice specimens! The honey seems very close to the house though. Is that a Norway maple in the background?

The honey locust is located in a town house complex and although it is close, this picture makes it look closer than it is.

The tree behind the black locust is indeed a Norway maple. One of our most common shade trees.

Do the black locust ever get this kind of bark in your area? In the original posters initial photos, I'm afraid I would have said some kind of oak rather than black locust as we just don't see them here without this distinctive wrapping and deep furrowing.

Sylvia

Around here the locust that I have the bark looks no where near as curled as the one in your pics Sylvia. It looks more like the bark on the black locust that Dale scored. In fact it is identical.

The honey locust is located in a town house complex and although it is close, this picture makes it look closer than it is.

The tree behind the black locust is indeed a Norway maple. One of our most common shade trees.

Do the black locust ever get this kind of bark in your area? In the original posters initial photos, I'm afraid I would have said some kind of oak rather than black locust as we just don't see them here without this distinctive wrapping and deep furrowing.

Sylvia

I grew up climbing a Norway maple in our back yard, thought it looked familiar.
Can't say I've seen a black locust that large around here - at least as large as that one looks. In any event, the bark isn't that furrowed.
Ha! just made out the squirrel on the trunk! Couldn't see the fur for the furrows!

I am a little late on this one but definatly locust. My favorite wood to burn is persimion. Did I spell that right? Oh well you get the point.

Back