Big Shot mis-fire

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have the older model big shot with the nylon pouch. Sounds like the new pouches are the problem....BUMMER. I'll have to be extra careful with mine so it lasts along time.

This is something sherril needs to know about...maybe Shaun Larkin needs to look at this thread.
Mis-fires and people getting smashed in the face from a product is serious stuff.

I purchased my Big Shot this summer and have had the same problems. It works great, but once in a while for no apparent reason it will misfire and the weight pouch will be in my face. I always have my hardhat on with the screen down because of it. I tried leaning the weight in and leaning it out but it seemed to make no real difference. For some strange reason it will just hang in the pouch and not release. I love it and would never give it up, it has saved me alot of time and money, but I have to be careful it does occasionally come back on me.

i was considering just buying the head, but now im hesistant that these pouches seem to be causing some problems for people. What kind of material is used instead of nylon? Shucks, im so close to buying one just to hear about this. Right now, I misfire about every other shot with my wrist rocket, and i shoot a huge lead ball right on my knuckles.

Don't let this thread discourage you. It's still a great investment. Just has some kinks that needs to be worked out, just like any other new tool. We all use our tools differently, so we all need to adjust accordingly. It really is worth it!

I have the same problem . I get misfire about every 15th time usually when im in a hurry . Funny story; MY first big shot ever . I recieved the B.S. from ups and promptly went out in my yard to give her a test run . I had heard great stories of the B.S. potential . I load err up with a 12 ounce and pull the bag to the freaking ground .MY target is a crotch about 50 feet up . Well,,, i let err rip .HOly be geez im like WTF . the bag goes all the way over the tree and continues over the road my neighbors house and over there trees as well with my line trailing behind . I was freaking out since it was about to land in a major interesction about 250 feet away ...the line caught up in the tippy top of the last of about 10 trees i had just big shotted over ... To say the least i didnt use as much pull next test run ....Dark

I replace the bands myself. I bought my Big Shot when they first came out and it had a huge leather pouch just like the ones on a regular slingshot. I buy the black rubber tubing from the local hardware store. I don't have misfires with it. I have launched golf balls, macadamia nuts, lemons, and all kinds of other stuff. If it fits in the pouch, it will go. Lemons and golf balls have just the right amount of weight. At 60* angle it looks like it gets up to about 150 ft. and goes over 200 yards.

I was just asked privately how I make the girth hitch to attach the pouch. I'll post it here in case anyone else wants to make their own replacement. Please understand you do this at your own risk. I have done absolutely no safety testing on it.

I take parachute cord and make a knot just big enough that I can force into the end of the rubber tube. Soap helps. After I get it in about 3/4 of an inch, I just get a couple of small zipties and clinch it, locking the knot in place. I always use 2 ties, just for a little security. You could use 3 if you want. Check them each day, have some on hand for replacement. The other end of the parachute cord is tied to the leather pouch. Another way is to make the hole in the leather pouch big enough for the rubber tube to fit through it, bend it over to itself and ziptie it. Just like making a sling shot when you were a kid. I do not try to attempt making a complicated girth hitch.

darkstar said:
MY target is a crotch about 50 feet up . Well,,, i let err rip .HOly be geez im like WTF . the bag goes all the way over the tree and continues over the road my neighbors house and over there trees as well with my line trailing behind . I was freaking out ...
Hysterical story.... :blob2:

Redbull

I had the same problem. two months ago I purchased a new BS. I have had 5 or 6 over the past 4 years. With this last one, the throw bag would tumble and catch on the way out. I brought it back to the supplier and got another BS. Same problem. I found that if I place the throw bag in the pocket with the bag tilted back in the pocket toward the pole it comes out cleanly.
I noticed a tag on this BS which indicates it is made in Mexico, I never noticed that before. The problem could be in the way it is assembled now.

Fred.

My Big Shot has no problem pushing a 16oz weight 70-80'. I'm a little afraid to try my 12oz.

Redbull,
Are the bags your using the modern "bullet" type, or are they an old "bean bag" throw weight? I would think the newer bags exit the BS better.

They are the bullet shaped bags. I've played with the bag position, but it's inconsistent. I think I need to just spend some time in my front yard and experiment with this thing. Still wouldn't trade it for nuthin.

16oz!!!!

Jeez, was there not a brick near by.

Try a Harrison Rocket 8oz or 10oz!!

Treetx is right, go with a smaller weight for sure, even then sometimes if your not pulling straight it still hits, also get a snap release, a must have for those 80' shots.

With a lighter bag you've got to use lighter line, which I don't care for. It seems to get hung up easier and is harder on the hands when pulling a rope into a tree. I prefer Slickline with a 14-16oz bag.

Also have had no problems with high shots without a snap release.

Okay, so did anyone read my post where I said I got a whole case of 160z bags...FOR FREE??? I use Zing-It for line and the weight seems fine. I get plenty of distance with the 16oz weight, it just gets hung up sometimes. I know weights are cheap, but I"ve got so many already.

Redbull said:
Okay, so did anyone read my post where I said I got a whole case of 160z bags...FOR FREE??? I use Zing-It for line and the weight seems fine. I get plenty of distance with the 16oz weight, it just gets hung up sometimes. I know weights are cheap, but I"ve got so many already.

Just because someone gave me a echo for free...doesn't mean I didn't get rid of it to buy the right tool for the job.

I've found that when launching, if the pouch is pulled a little to the left or right, the bag tangles up on the way out. You have to make sure the pouch is centered.

love
nick

So Nick, next time someone gives you an echo, I'd be more than happy to take it off your hands :) I understand what you're saying, but the 16oz bags fill my needs fine as far as height. I actually prefer a heavier bag. I also see what you mean about making sure everything is centered. I might have some free time this weekend to try a few different things.

old thread I know, but I have been having misfires with my big shot, boy I really needed it to be working and it was just pissing me off. Turns out one of the rubbers had slipped back on one side of the Y. My question is, how do I slip the thing back on?

Latest posts

Back