Big Shot mis-fire

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
old thread I know, but I have been having misfires with my big shot, boy I really needed it to be working and it was just pissing me off. Turns out one of the rubbers had slipped back on one side of the Y. My question is, how do I slip the thing back on?
Hi Timber,

Having the black tubing slip down is a new one on me. I've taken tubing off, and replaced with new tubing, we covered that with pictures in a thread a couple years back. I have never had to advance a tube that has slipped back.

I am going to guess on this one, based on having replaced the tubing one time.

I would say, mark the tubing where it is. Also mark where you want it to be.

Remove the one side completely. Smooth the steel, super smooth, 600 grit wet-sand if necessary. Lube it with a bit of soapy water. Push it back on to the mark of where you want it. Make absolutely sure you don't rotate the tube while putting it on. If you do rotate, say a quarter turn, make sure you give it a quarter turn back the other way. When you get it on, inspect and make sure the thing is sitting balanced and even. You have a few minutes to adjust, but after the moisture evaporates out, it is set, and that's that.

Then I'd use one or two zip ties on each side, just to be sure this slippage doesn't happen again.

Good luck.

you can post a few pictures?

need size/thickness/shape of leather pouch that works without launching a 12oz bag into your face. what diameter black rubber hose did you use?

thanks in advance..

I was just asked privately how I make the girth hitch to attach the pouch. I'll post it here in case anyone else wants to make their own replacement. Please understand you do this at your own risk. I have done absolutely no safety testing on it.

I take parachute cord and make a knot just big enough that I can force into the end of the rubber tube. Soap helps. After I get it in about 3/4 of an inch, I just get a couple of small zipties and clinch it, locking the knot in place. I always use 2 ties, just for a little security. You could use 3 if you want. Check them each day, have some on hand for replacement. The other end of the parachute cord is tied to the leather pouch. Another way is to make the hole in the leather pouch big enough for the rubber tube to fit through it, bend it over to itself and ziptie it. Just like making a sling shot when you were a kid. I do not try to attempt making a complicated girth hitch.

must be the pouch

So that soft yellow nylon pouch is no longer available for the big shot? My bs launches 100% smoothly, 100% of the time with that soft nylon pouch so I would be inclined to think the 'new' pouch is the problem. Twice, the first day I got it the bs misfired but I quickly discovered it was because the line was catching on the sling...keeping all line in front of me when launching resolved that. I shoot regular beanbag style throwbags of all different weight depending on how dense the tree and how high I need to go...mostly 8, 10 and 12 though. Also doesn't seem to matter which way the bag is loaded.

Sherrill's big shot ad claims the 'new' pouch is improved and allows for smoother, higher launches. The pouch looks semi-rigid and open. Is this the pouch folks are having these misfires with? If so, I wonder if we can get the originals back...I don't need any unnecessary fat lips!

Okay, so did anyone read my post where I said I got a whole case of 160z bags...FOR FREE??? I use Zing-It for line and the weight seems fine. I get plenty of distance with the 16oz weight, it just gets hung up sometimes. I know weights are cheap, but I"ve got so many already.

Can't you cut a hole in the bag, let out some filler and sew it back up? Different weight bags cost the same so you've really lost nothing.

gasman said:
Can't you cut a hole in the bag, let out some filler and sew it back up? Different weight bags cost the same so you've really lost nothing.
Bingo! I did this a few years back, not on purpose, though. It was a 16 oz bag, nylon, and came down and kissed concrete at probably full velocity. Shot spilled out, though hope was not lost. I was wanting to try a lighter bag anyway, and I had an assortment, all 14's and 16's, but different styles I was trying out.

I sealed the blown seam with some funky rubber sealant adhesive. I ended up with a lighter bag, but the big surprise was how the bag fit into the pouch; it was so much better.

The non-stiff fabric was soft, compared to the shiny plastic-like bags, or the urethane dipped ones. This allowed the ring to fold over onto the bag and stay there, rather than having a stiffer bag where the ring end would hang outside the pouch.

The 'new' bag was more 'round', and since it wasn't filled so full anymore, I would pack it in the pouch, forming it to the shape of the pouch, fold the ring and mini-biner over on top and man, it just did what it was supposed to do. I miss that bag and have trouble finding ones of that material.

In the pic, it was the one on the far left (before it exploded).

Oops, I stand corrected. No changes, except for the color of the bag:
attachment.php

I got this from a BigShot thread we did here in January, 2004. It was a very thorough thread. Click here to visit that archive.

type of weight

are the bullet shaped weights better in the BS? how are the bullet shape for throwing? i've only used regular weaver pouches and have never used a BS but it will be the next thing i buy.

Back