Big trees

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Backwood

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have a big white oak that I want to cut. But I have never cut anything this big before.
Its 72-74" in diameter and 14-16 ' long.

How would you cut it??

With a swingblade mill, just set up and have at it ;)

But I'm assuming you dont have one, so the backup plan would be to freehand quarter it with a chainsaw. Then you should be able to handle the quarters on a standard bandmill or even a chainsaw mill.

A lot of work, and even the 1/4s will be HEAVY, but there should be some nice q-sawn boards in a log like that :)

Cheers

Ian

Well, I haven't done this before, but Aggie has. One way is with a very large saw, 100cc+ class, and a HUGE chainsawmill, with a 7 foot bar. The other way would be to use a slightly smaller bar, say 42" or so, and a granberg mini-mill, to quarter the log. You could then produce very nice quartersawn 36"+ slabs---very valuable at that width, by rolling the quarter & taking slabs. You theoretically could cut the slabs with a minimill, but in my own experience, I haven't been able to keep the slabs as consistent in thickness with the minimill as with a granberg; The very very small amount of wobble with a big bar in the minimill can produce a large amount of variance in thickness (1/4" or more) when you're talking about a big bar. In my latenight breaks at work searching the internet, I found a guy that modified his mill with some angle iron (i'd've done it too, but I don't have a welder) to make it more even:
http://www.billswoodcreations.com/lumber-mini-mill.html

I have a couple big red oak logs that I want to try this on, but I have yet to pick up a welder. Til then the logs are going to sit in the corner of the field with their ends sealed and debarked.

I have a 394xp and was leaning to quartering. I had never looked at a mini-mill . Just from the pictures I had seen I wouldnt have thought it would be strong enough for this.:dizzy: I have seen pictures of a set up that had an I-beam running the length of the log and the chainsaw bar was bolted to a slide that would go back and fourth on the I beam. ( I am assumeing thats kinda what the mini-mill does)

That saw wont have a problem with the job. Just don't abuse it.

A white oak that size will make some premo stuff if quarter sawn properly. It should have some curly figure in it as well from buckling under it's own weight. Got any pics?

If it has anything close to the curl that was in the limbs I am already smiling. :) :clap: :)
Anybody got a guess on how old this tree is ??? I will count the rings and post them with some pictures when I am finished.

I have a 394xp and was leaning to quartering. I had never looked at a mini-mill . Just from the pictures I had seen I wouldnt have thought it would be strong enough for this.:dizzy: I have seen pictures of a set up that had an I-beam running the length of the log and the chainsaw bar was bolted to a slide that would go back and fourth on the I beam. ( I am assumeing thats kinda what the mini-mill does)

The mini-mill is strong enough, but its not as precise as some other things on the market, as if you don't keep pressure very constant both side to side and downward, it can get out of alignment. I haven't used the "beam machine" or lumbermaker, or anything like that. Railomatic has a mill (in the UK) that is like what you've described, but I don't know if it could quarter a log that size. It operates with both sides of the bar supported so it slides horizontally. You need something that can do the same thing with the bar vertical, or you won't get a straight cut; the bar is going to dip downwards under its own weight on a horizontal cut unless it is supported. Even with the minimill, or anything like it that does roll on an i beam or 2x4 or whatever, you're not easily going to obtain a perfect 90 deg. quarter of the log unless you're really adept at keeping the bar going perfectly straight. If it were me doing it, I'd have a large excavator or tractor there to roll the log, with appropriate chocks to stop it once it starts rolling, and take a quarter at a time. as you roll, put 4x4's or similar under it to get it up off the ground; this will make the last quartering cut easier.

Last edited:
If it has anything close to the curl that was in the limbs I am already smiling. :) :clap: :)
Anybody got a guess on how old this tree is ??? I will count the rings and post them with some pictures when I am finished.

you have me drooling already. Ever seen the talarico hardwoods site?? They have pics of a GIANT bastogne (claro X black walnut hybrid, I think) walnut that is about the craziest piece of lumber I've ever seen.

www.talaricohardwoods.com

Also, rail's site is www.chainsawmills.co.uk

I haven't seen him on the forum lately. There was a thread recently about how to build your own rail mill. Do a search & you'll find a great tutorial!!

... If it were me doing it, I'd have a large excavator or tractor there to roll the log...

Or an aluminum floor jack... yeah it goes kinda slow but it will roll an 8000 lb log no sweat, and it costs a heck of a lot less than an excavator :cheers:

moveformillingusingjack.jpg

you have me drooling already. Ever seen the talarico hardwoods site?? They have pics of a GIANT bastogne (claro X black walnut hybrid, I think) walnut that is about the craziest piece of lumber I've ever seen.

Isn't Bastone a cross between Claro and English?

Rob

Hey Woodshop ,
Have you welded something to the jack that will dig into the log ?

Isn't Bastone a cross between Claro and English?

Rob

I think you're right. I think they are (relatively) common there because of all the english walnut orchards that thrive in the irrigated long growing season of CA.

As far as Backwoods' question is concerned, I remember seeing pics of it without anything but the stock round piece. I've done the same with mine & had good results, but I used it on a debarked log. I imagine it might move a little, but mine has a 4' handle. I definitely wouldn't be kneeling one the ground cranking on that jack, though.

Last edited:
Back