Bigger bar for Dolmar 7900

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dsp

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi,
I was hoping you guys can help me out. I need a bigger bar for my Dolmar 7900. I am looking at a nice 24" GB, except the gauge on it is .058 compared to .050 on the one I have now. The 3/8 pitch is still the same and I would like to know if I can still use the same sprocket. I thought they went off pitch and not gauge(just means a wider chain right?), I'm just not sure. Any info you guys can give me would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Dan

Hi,
I was hoping you guys can help me out. I need a bigger bar for my Dolmar 7900. I am looking at a nice 24" GB, except the gauge on it is .058 compared to .050 on the one I have now. The 3/8 pitch is still the same and I would like to know if I can still use the same sprocket. I thought they went off pitch and not gauge(just means a wider chain right?), I'm just not sure. Any info you guys can give me would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Dan

gauge is the width of the groove in the bar. Its usually .050 or .063, .058 is less common. For longer bars the gauge is typically .063 (32" plus) because its stronger, you need to buy the right chain for the gauge of your bar, for example oregon 72lgx is 3/8 pitch .050 gauge, a very common chain, but 73lgx is the same chain but .058 gauge, and 75lgx is .063. Check this pdf to see what I mean http://www.oregonchain.com/pdf/chain/72LGX_F&B.pdf Baileys online sells this chain for a good price an arborsite sponser, however their website appears to be down right now.

gauge is the width of the groove in the bar. Its usually .050 or .063, .058 is less common. For longer bars the gauge is typically .063 (32" plus) because its stronger, you need to buy the right chain for the gauge of your bar, for example oregon 72lgx is 3/8 pitch .050 gauge, a very common chain, but 73lgx is the same chain but .058 gauge, and 75lgx is .063. Check this pdf to see what I mean http://www.oregonchain.com/pdf/chain/72LGX_F&B.pdf Baileys online sells this chain for a good price an arborsite sponser, however their website appears to be down right now.

.058" gauge is far more common than .063" around here. Probably because this area is largely Husky country. (.058" is commonly found on Husqvarna saws)

Thanks guys, that answers my question. The drive rim is in good shape, I just need a bigger bar.:chainsaw:

I bought a winsor speed tip 28" with 3/8 .050 carlton full chisel chain for mine. Works awesome and tons of power to spare.

Watch the gauge.

I have a GB Titanium for my 7900. When I got it, the dealer told me to go .050 gauge if I wanted to run skip or semi-skip. Apparently .050 skip chain is much more prevalent and easier to come by. At least that's been my experience.

Full comp chain it won't matter, .050 or .058 in 3/8 pitch is available anywhere.

Take Care

Holmentree says .063 is best because that is the gauge of all the replaceable sprocket tips and drive rims. Smaller gauges don't track as true!

Holmentree says .063 is best because that is the gauge of all the replaceable sprocket tips and drive rims. Smaller gauges don't track as true!

He sure has a point, regarding the replaceable noses, but .058 is pretty close. :)

Last edited:
Back