Bigger bar MS261??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeffp

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello I have an MS261 for home use. Large wooded lot with big oak lay downs. Right now it has a 20" bar wondering if I can go larger?

Also I have heard about some exhaust mods for more power but not sure what those are...
Jeff

Hello I have an MS261 for home use. Large wooded lot with big oak lay downs. Right now it has a 20" bar wondering if I can go larger?

Also I have heard about some exhaust mods for more power but not sure what those are...
Jeff
No, don't go longer but buy a bigger saw if you need a longer bar.

Nose slightly heavy but doesnt bother me. I have a fair amount of oak lay downs to buck some fairly large diameter. On the bigger logs it strains a bit.

Make sure the chain is razor sharp and turn the oiler up all the way.

If you have a lot of that to cut, a larger saw would be the ticket. I feel a 24" bar is too much for a 362 if you're burying it in wood. Even softwood. That's how I bought mine and while it worked for the one tree I had to deal with right then, a larger saw handles a bar that long much better. A 400 might handle 24" ok.

Well 16 in is what STIHL recommends so that would be optimal.

What do you mean by "recommend"? Stihl sells the MS261 with the 16", 18", or 20" bar. I would say, they are recommending all three. At least, in Maine.

To the OP: search on "muffler mod MS261," and you will find plenty of threads and videos.

Roy

Exactly. When I go to that site....16 to 20 inch bars are options.
I said recommended. This is from the same link I gave you. Recommended by them means it is optimal. The others can be used but will not perform as well. I will bet that saw performs at is best with a 16 in bar and chain.

• POWER SOURCE
    Gas
  • POWERHEAD WEIGHT
  • GUIDE BAR LENGTH (Recommended)
  • OILOMATIC® CHAIN
    .325" RM3

I can say that I see a difference in my 550 xp between the 16 and 20 b/c I have for it. Balance wise not so much, but power wise yes. Normally I run the 16 if I am mostly cutting 20" diameter and under. And what I normally cut is around 12-18" .

I said recommended. This is from the same link I gave you. Recommended by them means it is optimal. The others can be used but will not perform as well. I will bet that saw performs at is best with a 16 in bar and chain.

• POWER SOURCE
    Gas
  • POWERHEAD WEIGHT
  • GUIDE BAR LENGTH (Recommended)
  • OILOMATIC® CHAIN
    .325" RM3

You got me there.

The owner's manual, however, makes no such claim for one recommended length.

I like these saws with both the 16" and 18". I have never tried a 20" bar on a 50cc saw, but it seems like lots of people are happy with them.

Roy

You got me there.

The owner's manual, however, makes no such claim for one recommended length.

I like these saws with both the 16" and 18". I have never tried a 20" bar on a 50cc saw, but it seems like lots of people are happy with them.

Roy
Well I would say the 16 or 18 just like DMB already stated.

Back