Bigger bar MS261??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A stock MS 261/C will Pull and Oil a 25" bar just fine,

I wouldn't run it like that in a commercial/work application, but for home use it'll be fine.

Mad3400

Im actually pretty good at hand sharpening my chains. Woodworker all my life so sharpening hand tools comes natural..
Good to hear. Just remember if you have to push at all sharpen.
I know i sound a bit crass but spend one day in a saw shop and you will see the results of dull.
The chain. Maybe me.

Thanks all. It came with the 20" and part of my reasoning to not get a bigger saw is Im older and have some health issues. I wanted a saw big enough to buck up the felled timber and blow downs on my property which mostly very hard decidous trees, oaks beech and hickory. I am not dropping trees just turning firewood at my home. I think with some mods for power gains I can manage just fine with the 261 and maybe not move to bigger bar than the 20" it came with

Unless you're planning to port your 261 then I would stick with the 20" bar. Mine is muffler modded, timing advanced, and base gasket deleted and with that it's an entirely different and more aggressive animal but I just don't think the saw has the torque to handle a bar longer than 20"
Any links to the base gasket/timing advance? I am ordering the muffler port from west coast.

Jeff

Any links to the base gasket/timing advance? I am ordering the muffler port from west coast.

Jeff
661 Timing Advance This is the basic idea when it come to timing advance. The 261 has the key on the flywheel instead of the shaft. Some here have noted the m-tronic 261 does not respond as well to a timing advance as the carb version.

All kinds of threads on here for base gasket deletes. Make sure to check your squish.

Are you sure you even need to run the 20" bar?

I run an 18" on my Stihl 362 and cut up most trees just fine. I cut for years with an old 028 and a 16" bar and cut up some pretty big oak trees. The bar doesn't need to be longer than the diameter of the tree to cut it up.

Are you sure you even need to run the 20" bar?

I run an 18" on my Stihl 362 and cut up most trees just fine. I cut for years with an old 028 and a 16" bar and cut up some pretty big oak trees. The bar doesn't need to be longer than the diameter of the tree to cut it up.
It came w the 20. I have old growth oak to buck at 30" so...

Back