Bigger saw needed for bigger jobs?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TurnerM

Reaction score
I have a quesiton regarding the amount of wood a saw should be able to handle...

I am running a MS290 (farm boss). I've had it for a few years and cut around 2 cords a year and love it. We recently bought a house in the country and are heating with just wood, meaning more cutting. This last year I cut 5.5 cords of pine, and we ran out last month. This year I plan on cutting 10 cords at a minimum. My question is; should I be worried about over working my 290? Should I upgrade to something bigger? I notice slower cuts now, but my main worry is working my current saw too much.

I down mostly dead pine, not usually bigger around than 15 inches.

Advice?

That 290 is a 'homeowner' grade of saw, which means it wasn't designed to run every day, all day long. Having said that, I can say that I have a MS310 ( also homeowner grade ) that has seen fairly regular use for almost 10 years. Two years ago, I did replace the crank bearings and seals, and put a new set of piston rings in it, but it was running well at the time. Best advice I can give, is to run the best 2 cycle oil you can get and mix it at the proper ratio. Keep the fuel fresh and the chain sharp.
Blow out the air filter and cooling fins on a regular basis.
Rick

I appreciate the advice, that was sort of what I was thinking I would do. I was just wondering how long I could baby the 290. If it'll last for years cutting 10 to 15 cords by babying it, I'm fine with that. But if it wont last that long, I just wonder if I should sell it now while it's still in good condition, and apply the sale towards something better.
I wont say that money isn't an object, but I do have a little stashed away that I can spend.

Cutting firewood is different from treework and wears the saw differently. My dad used a 290 in Michigan for years cutting 10 to 15 cords of mostly Oak, so I think you should be ok in pine.

This thread should really be in the Firewood or Chainsaw section. I'll ask a mod to move it, so you can get better answers.
Rick

id say you will do fine with the saw you have if you maintain it properly i cut anywhere from a couple of cords up to 15 or better depending on the year and who im supplying with wood. for the last few years my regular saw has been one of the old green poulan farmhands with the 20 inch bar. i did have to adjust the jets on it(tore off their stupid plastic locking things and used a needle nose pliers) but thats it as far as repairs go. just keep your bar and chain in good shape and replace as needed. i just upgraded to a stihl ms250 last fall and im more then happy with it as well. otherwise ive always used old handme down homelites and such. as far as cutting firewood goes i think most homeowner type saws are more then up to it if you use common sense and dont cook em by running them to hard.

who wants to work that hard or fast anyway, take your time go easy, and be safe, you will be surprised how fast the wood piles up:rock:

View attachment 232251

firewood /production

I would recommend getting a 440/441/372.Any of those would be perfect .
You should cut closer to 20 cord your first year.This way you should have plenty of wood.The 290 will not keep up with the task.

I have a question regarding the amount of wood a saw should be able to handle. I am running a MS290 (farm boss). I've had it for a few years and cut around 2 cords a year and love it. We recently bought a house in the country and are heating with just wood, meaning more cutting. This last year I cut 5.5 cords of pine, and we ran out last month. This year I plan on cutting 10 cords at a minimum. My question is; should I be worried about over working my 290? Should I upgrade to something bigger? I notice slower cuts now, but my main worry is working my current saw too much. I down mostly dead pine, not usually bigger around than 15 inches. Advice?

Hi Turner. I have an MS 290 (16" bar) and cut 10 to 12 cords a year with it. My 290 has been as reliable as dirt, and I love it. 10 cords a year is a piece of cake for any chain saw as you're not putting very much time on the saw. I've cut quite a few 25"+ trees, but mostly 10 to 16" stuff. It sounds like you don't really "need" a pro saw. But maybe you just "want" a pro saw, and that's cool. But your 290 will satisfy all of your needs and then some. And with proper care and maintenance, it will last a lifetime. Important to keep the chain sharp, use fresh gas with no ethanol (if you can get it), and empty the tank and run it dry if it's gonna sit for a spell. The 290 is Stihl's biggest bang for the buck. It ain't high tech as it uses old tried and true technology. Stihl sells more 290's and 250's then all of their other models combined. There are quite literally hundreds of thousands of them in use. Are there better saws available? Sure. Do you "need" a better (or bigger) saw? NO !

You got a keeper there my friend. :rock:

Now use some of the loot we just saved ya and take your wife out to din-din. :clap:

Don <><

attachment.php

Last edited:
I agree with most posters on this. Keep your chain sharp and that saw will serve you well. I wouldn't worry too much about wearing it out either. A freind runs a small firewood cutting business and cuts around 100 full cords per year. He only uses 029/290's. None have failed him yet. They have the same rods bearings Stihl uses on their biggest saws. You won't have any problems if you're careful mixing and only use good synthetic mix with premium gas.

I ran a 290 for 6 years cutting 15-20 cords/year. A lot of this was much larger and more difficult wood than the pine you describe. The 290 would be fine if you take care of it. If you need something more, the 362 or 440 are very nice and I don't think you would be sorry. If a few hundred dollars matters, then I would stick with the 290.

I got some bigger saws so finally sold the 290 this Spring. It was running as good as ever. I sort of miss it.

290 will do fine for what you're asking it to do. You already own it, so run it. Keep up on your preventative maintenance, keep your chains sharp, and that saw will do you fine for quite some time to come.

When the time comes that you WANT another saw, by all means go buy one. But don't think you NEED another saw to do what you're proposing to do here.

ms 290

I find it hard to just hard to believe the ms 290 is the preferred saw for a 100 cord wood business.:msp_tongue:

If you rely on wood heating exclusively, its good to have a spare saw. I'd keep the 290 if you like it, and get another used saw.

I find it hard to just hard to believe the ms 290 is the preferred saw for a 100 cord wood business.:msp_tongue:

I have no reason to lie or imbelish. Friend has a fleet of them. I've seen them and visited his yard. He was running a few older "pro" saws (036/044), but stopped using them due to cost of replacement/repair. Told me he had to go to the 290's during hard financial times and found they were incredibly durable and cost effective. He uses a lot of "day laborers" and still has had no failures, other than would normally be expected from wear. Oil worm gear, bars, clutches etc... He cuts mostly 14"-20" oak and swears by them, so soft woods should be absolutely no problem for the OP.

Last edited:
i think its funny that folks are saying it wont get the job done for you. when i was a kid my first chain saw was a little frontier with a 14 inch bar. i still got it floatin around in one of the sheds here. i cut alot of wood with that little saw and up until a few years ago my dad used the snot out of it to. it cut cords and cords of wood in its time.

a bigger saw isnt always the answer....sometimes just a little user knowhow is the key. a bigger saw is nice for a few jobs and i do have an old homelite with a 26 inch bar.......but it doesnt see hardly any use. unless your trying to be a big time logger or just want something to brag about that 290 will do all you ask of it.

when i bought my poulan a long time ago i had a buddy tell me it would never last for what i cut with it. it still runs as strong as the day it was new. he cut far less would then i did at the time and he hasnt burned wood for 3-5 years now. in the same time span he burned up a couple huskys at least 1 stihl and some other old saw he had.

if you treat it decent it will treat you decent thats all there is to it. it aint a big #### contest, its just cuttin firewood.:eek:uttahere2:

Latest posts

Back