Biggest perpetuated Myths about Modded Saws.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Guys lets get back on track.
can you make 22hp with a sp125 on alky nitro!

If you don't widen the ports, tighten the squish, or do any type of research, maybe.:monkey:

Later,

If you don't widen the ports, tighten the squish, or do any type of research, maybe.:monkey:

Later,

tight squish is always good.
research is why we all cruise the internet.

I'm not convinced that any widening of the ports is needed for the older examples.

My conclusion is that there are basicly 2 kinds.
Big old good uns, and good old big uns.:laugh:

Andy

Yeah,,,, Worst I ever had was delicious :cheers: :givebeer: them holes now a days are different,,,, back in tha day ya had to be very careful where you were going,,, it seemed the brush was somewhat thicker???????

I suppose all the fuss about Global Warming is the fault,,, just seems the bush is alot less prevalent

and more compression is always good,,,,, until that rug gets stuck in the washing machine again!!!!

Last edited:
" one engine builder will never bad mouth another engine builder about your unit, ....................unless he's not around!!!!! "

" Canadian modified units are always the best ...... just like their beer "

" 90% of all quoted statistics are made up or completely false 70% of the time "

" my modded saws are plenty safe and reliable how I build them "

" that other guy doesn't know what he's talking about, you can run a 3/4 race port job on your work saw all day long"

" when I raise your port timing it won't lower your compression"

Nice thread , some interesting info, I see its no different here than any other engine/performance related forum. I almost thought I was on a different forum with same people just different names,,,,, LOL :cheers:

i have been told by i do not know how many people that muffler mods hurt a saw. i tell them they are stupid. they make a saw run cooler witch in turn will increase life

The chart does not have anything to do with the effect of turbulence on output, it has to do with the squish velocity, and when it occurs.

As for thermal efficiency, chainsaws are not ~25%.

You might want to take a read of "The High Performance Two Stroke Engine" Chapter 3, pg 45 and table 3.2.2, the just of it is thermal efficiency depends on the swept volume, and can range from 10-15% for very small engines to about 50% for large industrial engines. Chainsaws would fall in about 20% or a little less at best. You would need to be into about 1000 cc in a single cylinder engine or very high compression before a 25% thermal efficiency would be expected.

Here is a little tid bit of reading also. http://www.popularhotrodding.com/enginemasters/articles/hardcore/0606em_understanding_compression_ratio/index.html

The importaint part from the article:

I don't know what you are doing on mods that lowers thermal efficiency, but the way I am working at it I make every effort to turn heat into motive power and in that shoot for high thermal efficency.

Is this an ebook and were can i obtain it.

What I like about Fred on this stuff is he questions everything, makes me double check stuff and dig deeper into stuff than I might otherwise do. .

I think I will opine from the fringe of knowledge and add one more thing...

Mr. "fred" has done a great job of making this old man, ex mechanical engineer, ex motocross racer (TOOO many "ex's" actually, its what happen when you get old and have lived life I think!) who built his own stuff for years..made me read stuff and add some core knowledge to my life experience. The most important lesson learned? If I ever have someone else mod a motor of mine..its going to be Timberwolf, or someone like him. So I think the hidden agenda Mr. brings to this forum really is to be a sales person for Timber!

Last edited:
I have to further opine..

One Myth that is constant to all things is the "luck" and "random" nature of true performance. Its simply a myth so that some will rationalize an easier route to true performance. That "hill billy" out in the sticks who just has a mind meld with the mechanical object of his passions. Fact is when its time for true performance; education, hard work, testing, and preperation wins. Everytime. When all you have is emperical..then the smartest mouth breather wins..but when the game gets serious, its the one with the research & education along with hard work who wins. Places like Pro Circuit own the pro motocross business for a reason. My bet is its the same with this game...so to another trueism...when crap comes out ("of" for the more educated) your head...your probably full (of it).

Last edited:
Money Talks And BS Walks

Fred, I checked out one of TW's saws on "U tube" It rocked. A little husky 359 I belive it was, clearly after watching that video, TW's mathimatical theory seems to hold water. So lets see what your saws will do, you seem to know it all , So put up or shut up.
Personally I am really disapointed with this thread as I am in Serges shoes, I was hoping to see pictures of stock ports compaired to work ports, Never happened. I wanted Ideas on how to mod my muffler never happened. Tips on when my Carb needs to be more then OME, and how to get it there. Do I need to adjust the height of my transfers, to adjust for .020 squish clearance.
All I got was you trying to stir crap with TW, and not really showing us anything. I believe I will avoid threads by you in the future, because they are apparently a wast of time. Like they say in Drag Racing put up or shut up I have seen TW's work, where's yours? Or you just another trash talker?

T.D.

Mr, or Fred is long gone, laughed off and banned from another site. He was found to be using others pics and claiming as his own work, only to say he was doing it to stir....:dizzy:

there is a vid of him on youtube in a race........Funny as hell, couldnt even get hos saw started.

all he was good at was manipulating words and the english langauge.

Sorry About Going Off!

Serge,
I am really sorry about going off like that, it was just clear the guy was just tryin' to pick a fight. Don't know about you but I like coming here to learn real stuff from these guys. I always been one of those who learns more from the advice of friends then I ever learned from books. I really hope the guys with real knowledge will help save this thread and give us some pointers. On how to properly mod a good work saw. Again I apologize for losing my temper.

Terry

no problems mate.....Fred was a :monkey:

one thing that is the same with all internet forums, are there are different folks...some get hyped,some knock down, some question and some run their mouth.

Unfortunately the hype and the bashing seems to rise to the top.

Remember there is always more than one way to skin a cat.
Remember some feel they have something to loose by others getting/giving info
Remember its easy to be a tough guy behind a keyboard.

Guys I would recommend looking out for info from are: Timberwolf, JacobJ, TZ250, Tdi-rick, Crofter, redprostpector, Tree Sling'r among others

Serge,
I appreciate you pointing out who to watch for. Actually except for this thread I have met and talked with a lot of really nice people. I work the oil field and the comment you made about people feeling like they are losing something by passing on info. sure hits home. The oilfield is full of those people, I always figured the more I can show a guy the better off we both are. If I show him he can do things right and be safer, and if he is safer, we both gain. I wonder why people feel they have to be this way.
Anyway just wanted to let you know you were one of the first to put a hand out here and you have been really good to me with great advice, and good humor. Just wanted to say thanks.

Cant belive i made it thru that whole thread! As for MR what a moron! Im a milwright by trade and we deal with Engineers like that all the time .there over educated idiots! (Not saying all of em are thou just the weird ones you know the type never been laid small prick hangs out with his mom that sorta guy!) As for timberwolf its pretty clear he knows what he is talking about. Anyone who takes the time 2 design porting software is serious about finding the right way 2 do something and not just talking theroies.
On a side note i have noticed that alot of huskies run their cylinders at closer 2
90° where stihls are more angular . I have always thought thats why they ran so good and are so durable or long lasting? especially the older ones ? any thoughts?

Latest posts

Back