Biggest perpetuated Myths about Modded Saws.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Possibly the best builders are those with the most self discipline. Restraint is a much overlooked quality when it comes to making things, both applying to one's self, and the object at hand. :givebeer:

so serg, you seem to be an expert.

i threw out the number of .020.

what do you think???? Is there a better number???

I see you talking in generalities, but not providing specific advice that someone could build towards.

help us out here, or live up to your name please.

as i have said many times, I AM A NOVICE!

i spectated at the first races that i have ever been to on sat at Crowsnest

you and Fred know alot more than me, so i guess you could decide for yourselves how much room to leave for expantion and such under full heat and rpm, but i bet you want to get that piston as close as you safely can when building a worksaw

your post is quite funny as this has been my point all along re Fred not proving his thoughts but rather getting people to disprove them, and i have said many times im new and modding my first saw, but im guessing you already know this ...... : )

some guys here are very sneeky..hahaha
just not me, im to loud for that

Last edited:
most of us are no further along then you are.

i've modded a grand total of exactly one saw. i'm pretty happy with it, and working on starting the next project.

i've modded and been around a bunch of snowmobile mods. I am also blessed to have as one of my buddies a guy who has taught me a lot about 2 strokes and why stuff works.

sometimes i think folks state what they believe to be true, then someone comes along and questions it, and it turns personal.

I try to not let it turn personal, but rather to use the opportunity to question my "facts", and find gains.

drmiller, good to hear.

well i have no modding or engine background, im a carpenter and just like things that move.

yep we all can take stuff personal, but i guess that can depend on how something has been said to.

i for one know that im terrible at explaining myself, and even worse when i have to write it out.....

im just here to have a go...

cheers, Serg

........... so i guess you could decide for yourselves how much room to leave for expantion and such under full heat and rpm, but i bet you want to get that piston as close as you safely can when building a worksaw......

Serg,

Now you've said something I would like to comment on. "Closer" isn't always better.

On a worksaw, there really isn't much we haven't discussed.

For a racesaw, there is alot more to be discussed, but as you pointed out--- this is a worksaws forum. HEHEHE Hint--make a new thread and we'll all jump in.

Fred

I know one thing- a difference of .010" in the squish of my 281 with the stock combustion chamber sure made it a lot harder to start.:chainsaw:

Personally, I have not had any starting issues come up as a result of raising compression. I have found that low speed carb adjustments become more sensitive, in terms of the best position for idling and spool-up.....maybe starting. I think I might want to look for carb issues as the culprit, more than compression. I have read where other people have said this, higher compression=bad start, so I could be wrong.

i had the opportunity to run a saw in hood river 2 weeks ago.

it was really easy to start.

retard the timing 10 degrees, drill a decomp hole between intake and combustion chamber, and the saws start right up!!!

weenieroaster said:
Personally, I have not had any starting issues come up as a result of raising compression.

My tired old arms and hands complain anymore when forced to pull over a high compression engine. 15-18 years ago it was not a problem. I still like the performance of a high-compression motor so I'll just live with it.

My tired old arms and hands complain anymore when forced to pull over a high compression engine. 15-18 years ago it was not a problem. I still like the performance of a high-compression motor so I'll just live with it.

Oh, your starting difficulty referred to pulling it over. Sorry, I thought the engine wouldn't start easily. That's how I get too, after frequently starting my 076 that has no de-comp.

Personally, I have not had any starting issues come up as a result of raising compression. I have found that low speed carb adjustments become more sensitive, in terms of the best position for idling and spool-up.....maybe starting. I think I might want to look for carb issues as the culprit, more than compression. I have read where other people have said this, higher compression=bad start, so I could be wrong.

Compression could be getting the bad rap for issues that are the result of other changes in the process of getting the higher compression. Common methods of jacking compression often result in too long intake duration and resulting lower base compression. Blowback from carb etc that makes carb adjustment harder for idle and make it difficult to get both good idle and midrange mixture (spoolup)

Compression could be getting the bad rap for issues that are the result of other changes in the process of getting the higher compression. Common methods of jacking compression often result in too long intake duration and resulting lower base compression. Blowback from carb etc that makes carb adjustment harder for idle and make it difficult to get both good idle and midrange mixture (spoolup)

Throw in a small leak from the metering seat, that wasn't problematical before the higher compression work was done, now given the richer low speed setting, flooding resulting in poor starting might become more a factor.

I am not sure I follow how the leaking metering needle condition would be affected. IF the base compression is affected it does change the fuel mixture curve. The same amount of compression change, (if it was made without affecting base compression) would affect carburetion much less.

There is often confusion between squish velocity and combustion chamber pressure. They are not the same thing, though in a fixed head cylinder they are usually tied together. When you start machining the fixed squish band and piston surfaces you could get high compression with low squish or vice verse.

Referring to the leaking, it's just an assumption based upon a recent situation with a modded saw. I can't describe it with much definition, other than to say that the best idle setting was different from the best spool-up one, and the idle was uneven, chain wanted to very slowly jerk around with it. I did some pop-off adjustments, and the setting became more consistent, but along with it was a tendency to flood. I found that the needle seat was bad, and after replacing it, everything smoothed out, starting is better too. I just figured that being a modded saw was a factor, possibly more demand on the carb with regard to more finely tuned settings. Longer intake duration on the saw compared to stock.

Referring to the leaking, it's just an assumption based upon a recent situation with a modded saw. I can't describe it with much definition, other than to say that the best idle setting was different from the best spool-up one, and the idle was uneven, chain wanted to very slowly jerk around with it. I did some pop-off adjustments, and the setting became more consistent, but along with it was a tendency to flood. I found that the needle seat was bad, and after replacing it, everything smoothed out, starting is better too. I just figured that being a modded saw was a factor, possibly more demand on the carb with regard to more finely tuned settings. Longer intake duration on the saw compared to stock.

Ok, I can see how perhaps if you had to lower popoff spring pressure to get a richer mixture, that it would worsen any needle to seat leakage condition. Intake duration is a double edged sword.

I think another myth;

Modded chainsaws (woods ported), are harder to start. I'd say it can be the opposite, if the carb is dialed in correctly.

Last edited:
Back