Biggest tree to date!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I appreciate all the comments and advice. The best part is that the tree is going to heat my house for better than a month. I installed a Pacific Energy stove about a month ago and it is really saving me money by the hand full.
I would be curious to know if anyone has any idea why the tree died. The only thing I saw that could explain it is an ant mound a few feet away from it, but there didn't appear to be much if any damage from ants.
BTW Tim I definitely left my slope cut short and figured that I had better try to get some of that meat out of there so when it fell it wouldn't kick to the side. I could see how dropping big trees could become addicting. Probably keep more of my hair though if the next ones aren't so close to the house or garage. Did anyone think that my face cut was too deep? I was kind of wondering that myself, but the tree was in really good shape and had recently died so I knew about as well as you can, what the quality of the holding wood was.

Nice

Pretty good work. The hinge is a little bit far toward the center of the stump, but it worked! When your felling direction is the same as the lean, then it is OK, but if you have to wedge the tree you will find that you need some distance between the wedge and the hinge, hence keeping the hinge closer to the direction of fall.

I think you did a good job dude. Wish my first big tree would have looked that good at the stump.;)

Yes your face cut was a tad too deep. Face cut should be no deeper than 1/3 the diameter of the tree. Plus it save room for a wedge or 2. Always have at least 2-3 wedges, and an axe to pound them with when you are falling. Even if it looks like an easy-peasy job, use a wedge, or at least have them with you. They are inexpensive, and are a must in fallin' trees. It's all about controlling the fall from the stump. It comes with practice. I use the Woodsman Pro double taperd wedges that Bailey's sells.

Now ALAP that stump!:rock:

Good job!

Gary

Good point Jeff... that's why I said "should" be 1/3... like you said, each tree provides it's own set of challenges that the faller has to determine the right way to go about putting it on the ground.

Gary

- other than that under cut - its backwards:hmm3grin2orange:

Haha... freakin' great. I love swinging humboldts. Especially at work with the FS, some people get downright pissed off. I just ask them to give me one good reason why it's unsafe. (aside from the added distraction of itchy chips down the shirt)

Newguy: I want you to understand that what I brought up was more of some fine tuning stuff. Something I didn't mention was that I am definitely my toughest critic in falling trees. Nobody will ever drop a tree perfectly. I always pick out the small things that make a great fall imperfect, and try to remember them for the next time. Constant self improvment is what I'm all about. Keep it up, man.

Good point Jeff... that's why I said "should" be 1/3... like you said, each tree provides it's own set of challenges that the faller has to determine the right way to go about putting it on the ground.

Gary

Right on Gary. I just read back through our two posts in a row there. Didn't mean to sound like I was contradicting you. I hadn't even read your post when I posted mine. I just read his post, and hit Quote before I read any further. Didn't mean to step on ya toes broheim. Hope I didn't. :bowdown:

Right on Gary. I just read back through our two posts in a row there. Didn't mean to sound like I was contradicting you. I hadn't even read your post when I posted mine. I just read his post, and hit Quote before I read any further. Didn't mean to step on ya toes broheim. Hope I didn't. :bowdown:

Nah... you didn't do anything like that Jeff.;) I was merely pointing out the point that you pointed out on the point I pointed.

Make any sense?:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: HAHAHA!

Gary

Well it was better than my first big tree.

I experienced fiber pull alright... :givebeer:

Having never cut Doug Fir, and the damned FS won't offer any information on the tree now that its not firewood season, I'm a bit mistaken in what I think is a Doug fir and what isnt.

We cut 48 white spruce for my log house project a couple of years ago. They averaged 28" diameter SBH with some over 34". Tallest was over 200'. My buddy and I were greenhorns but took we took our time and every single tree fell where we intended. Big smiles and a thrill with each tree. Wish I had more photos, but here's a sample.

We cut 48 white spruce for my log house project a couple of years ago. They averaged 28" diameter SBH with some over 34". Tallest was over 200'. My buddy and I were greenhorns but took we took our time and every single tree fell where we intended. Big smiles and a thrill with each tree. Wish I had more photos, but here's a sample.

I wanna see the house!

Back