biners?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kf_tree

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
since alot of people mention they carry biners in the saddle thread. what do you carry? atuo locks , screw gates or non locking? and why?

Hate screw, I use the ANSI aproved DBL locking style. Biners are versitlie. Mostly the pear shaped 25kn type.

For rigging i like the 33kn or heavier, still the locking ones, I hate screws. I have some 27kn nonlocking for simple speedline apps.

I got locking snaps on my rope end and flipline.

Petzl William ball locks or Am'd biners for life support. Sort of a pain at first but they won't come open. Kong steel 50kn screw locks for rigging cause I have them. Omega 34kn alum. screw locks for light rigging cause I have them also. I hate screw locks though. Any vibration or rubbing and they are open. I also use Maillon Rapides alot. Don't have to worry about side loading and they are strong as hell. Alot of the time I'll use screw pin shackles for rigging as well.

i will only use screw gate's. i was once using a eared fig 8 as a lowering device with an auto lock. as i was landind the limb i looked at the fig 8 and the gate was open and the fig 8 was wedged on the gate. the only thing holding was the hinge point. i have no idea how it happened. i reasearched it a bit on climbing sites and for some reason it seams to be a common problem with auto locks and a fig 8 combo.
i do a little ice climbing also and most guides i've climbed with won't use auto locks for life support situations. i prefer the petzl attache because they have the red line to show if its not locked. plus i have a bunch of kong. i use black diamond for ice climbing. i do not mix my tree and ice gear.
a little trivia.......the finger print on the petzl ball locks is the thumb print of the designer.

thats why in ice climbing for non locking biners we use wire gates. they dont freeze and the lighter gate will whip lash less in case of a fall.

i go with al.ball-lox on lifeline and steel screwgates on rigging.

i rig everything with biner/sling sets, i use biner/slings as a component-universal adjustable hitch, and quick connect/lock. Such as for handles, bending lines away from each other, bending lines for more friction, less friction, false crotches (pulleys and frictional), redirects, gravity bending (speedlines), footholds, sliding or fixed handholds, preset hitches while waiting for line to return, 3rd-balancing personal hitch, extension, cowhitch, drinkholder, tool delivery, tool hanging, bundling several limbs in one load, adjustable anchor point, remote release, line guide, extra supports, securing deadwood on removal limb (so it doesn't come off on lowering/gravity bending) etc.

Very versataile hitching system, spin lox seem easy for groundies to open with gloves and return. If you have enuff, they just undo biners from rope eye and return line with the previous runs biner/slings. Then line is drawn up to waiting hitches, as ground control is undoing the present slings. This also gives me more time to consider exact placement of hitches for various effects, moving and second guessing them. Also, i use them enuf to think enuf moves ahead to use the same sling and position several times for several things before removing it.

Some problematic things, like a crotch hooking a limb when being lowered can be disarmed easily with these. Or if the head gets hung up on lowering you can cut limbs and load with slings on the butt end, if line is tight, this can lighten and free the head by lifting it out.

i bought them for gravity bending, only used them if i had the time to have them sent up, then just started to carry them up, cuz i knew that was the only way i was going to get to try all the uses i was thinking of. Learning curve jumped in many ways.

I use Petzl and Black Diamond non-locking types for zip lining and some rigging applications, Omega and Kong Screwlocks for other rigging (All of these are Aluminium D types except for a couple of steel ovals). I have used a Kong screwlocking Pearabiner(HMS) for personal support but generally prefer a steel double locking snap for that application.

Latest posts

Back