Birch Firewood from Estonia....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wampum

Staff member
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Thought I would run this by you.I access a salvage site auction that sells items for salvage.This is interesting,a sea container that was damaged in route took in fresh water.The sea container contains 42 pallets of camp fire sized bundles of Birch firewood that has been kiln dried.This firewood originated in the town of Tallin Estonia according to the site.If you can move the container you can take it to another site and unload it and bring the can back.(you have to have a permit to remove it)Or for $18.00 a pallet they will load them for you.This is after you are the winning bidder and you must take all of them.That would cost you $756.00 plus what ever your bid was.

I never realized that they ship firewood in from Eastern Europe.Can you imagine what the guy cutting it is paid?

I couldn't imagine that it wood be cost effective. Maybe it was being shipped to China?

How long ago was it cut and when did it get wet and for how long?

Birch rots fast when it's left wet.

That can't be legal. we can't move wood from state to state for the most part, others can't move from county to county. Now firewood is coming in from another country? Is this how we got the beetle?

Here is the terms,if you were to win the bid.By the looks of it very little of it actually got wet,(there is good pics of it at the site)so I am assuming that some of the stuff on the bottom is questionable. All of the printing on the bundles is in English,so i would assume it was for America or other english speaking countries. I am just surprised to see them shipping wood in from there and it being cost efficient to do so:

DescriptionLot TermsImagesContactSupport ServicesMap
Description
White Birch Fire Logs (Qty. 42 Pallets)
General

Shipment's Origin: Tallin, Estonia
Quantity Breakdown of Packaging: 42 Pallets
Net Weight: 21504kg
Gross Weight: 22344kg

Condition
Per Seller: It was reported that subject container was abandoned by the shipper after they were delivered to the terminal for export purposes. During the ocean voyage the container was damaged and the cargo allegedly got wet. Due to the damages the container was drayed to a freight company, where the contents were transloaded into another container. Upon inspection moisture was found inside the shrink wrapped packaging and the wood was believed to be moldy. A silver nitrate test was performed on several pieces of the wood and two paper labels. All tests were negative for the presence of chlorides, which indicates that the wood was not wet by salt water. Please refer to the attached photos for details. Please bid accordingly.
Onsite inspections of the product are NOT allowed.
NOTE: Product MUST be picked up no later than 7 days after a winning bid is selected. Storage charges will apply on buyers account if this timeline is not met.
IMPORTANT REMOVAL & LOAD OUT INFORMATION: The buyer will have 2 options for removal. (Please see details below.)
Option 1: Load out assistance is available at location for a fee of $18.50 per pallet. Such fees are to be confirmed and contracted by Buyer (In addition to any submitted bid amount). Contents of container must be removed no later than 02/01/13.
Storage charges of $20/day will accrue on account of buyer (in addition to any submitted amount, payable to the location) beginning 02/02/13. Buyer is responsible for verification of fees and charges.
Option 2: Buyer must remove container from location prior to unloading and return the empty container to the AMP terminals address below. Buyer will need to utilize a trucker with a valid Maersk Line Interchange to safely remove and return container.
AMP Terminals - Berth 99
5080 McLester Street
Elizabeth, NJ 07207
The container must be removed no later than 02/01/13 and the buyer will be permitted 4 calendar days after removal to return the container free of charge. After this time, a per diem charge will be assessed on account of the buyer in the amount of $85 per day (Days 1-5) and $140 per day (Day 6 and everyday thereafter). Container must be swept clean and free of damage. The timeline and any fees for the return of the empty container must be coordinated, scheduled and agreed upon by the location and buyer.
A TWIC card is required to access this location to return the container.
Buyer is responsible for coordinating the following:
- Arranging tractor for pickup of container from its current location and move to their designated warehouse/facility for unloading. (No unloading at current location)
- Returning container to the location within 4 days of pick up once container is empty.
- Gathering all required documents and following all required rules and regulations as deemed necessary by the location.

That can't be legal. we can't move wood from state to state for the most part, others can't move from county to county. Now firewood is coming in from another country? Is this how we got the beetle?

You can move firewood that has been kiln dried just about anywhere.Kiln drying kills all the bugs.What you are talking about is air dried or green wood.

Um, probably heroin in the middle of those pallets!! Buy it all, sell it back to the owners for a finders fee.

Never heard from firewood that was being exported but I know that there are Chinese companies buying logs (around 20' or 40' long) in containers here in Belgium, they get shipped to China.

Buddy of mine works in that port at the maintenance section. I dought those kiln drying sessions kill all the bugs. Just think if one load got by that was not dried for the recommended time. See my point, :msp_ohmy: bugs.

This load is now landfill material. I wouldn't even try to make mulch out of it not knowing how badly salt contaminated it is.

As for why import, premium quality white birch logs sell for a heck of a lot more the $300/cord.

I'd guess they were for a market like this:

large white birch logs Birch Logs

We have made candle holders and stuff around x-mas time with white birch. Even cut 100 disc ou of birch so kids at school could wood burn names and things in them for x-mas

I read somewhere about a company shipping firewood (seems like it was birch) to the Middle East where there no trees I guess.
I'm sure it was not for heat.
Rich sheiks with fireplaces maybe.

This load is now landfill material. I wouldn't even try to make mulch out of it not knowing how badly salt contaminated it is.

As for why import, premium quality white birch logs sell for a heck of a lot more the $300/cord.

I'd guess they were for a market like this:

large white birch logs Birch Logs

Whoa! Pricey stuff.

Makes me think I should follow through on an idea I had. I made a few bundles of stove-length white birch logs from a job a year ago, thinking I would give them to a local Realtor as part of my pitch for tree work. A little pruning (or removing a big dead tree in the yard! ) would help them sell a home. I figured that they might want the birch for "staging" home sales, and it would remind them to give me a call. I can see realtors paying $50 to make 5 or 10% on a 500k home (or whatever it is they make).

Latest posts

Back