Bird flew out of my woodstove!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Billy_Bob

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I'm not using my woodstove this time of year except to dump ashes from the ashtray every once and awhile.

Anyway yesterday afternoon I opened the woodstove door to dump some ashes and out flew a bird!

The bird was about the size of a fist and quite black (from flying around in that soot coated chimney).

I instantly thought of the movie "The Birds" and half expected hundreds of other birds to come flying out!

But it was just the one bird. I opened the front door and we chased it around the house a bit, then it flew out the front door.

An interesting day. Never have had this happen before....

Must of been a Firebird...

attachment.php

Used to happen all the time at my old house. Starlings kept mistaking the flue for a nest box :mad:

Had to take the cap off and make a chicken netting shield to go inside it to keep the blighters out.

Cheers

Ian

Stove Birds

Used to happen all the time at my old house. Starlings kept mistaking the flue for a nest box :mad:
Had to take the cap off and make a chicken netting shield to go inside it to keep the blighters out.
Cheers
Ian
You Kiwis have just got to stop doing the HAKA:blob2: :blob2:
What happened to the All Blacks ???:bowdown: :bowdown:

I now know the meaning of "bird brain"!

Darned if that same bird didn't fly back into my woodstove yesterday!

I'm getting to where I'm reluctant to open the door for fear of what might come flying out at me.

If it returns again...

-Maybe if I hold the cat in front of the woodstove window (before releasing it again), then maybe it will get the idea my woodstove is not the best place for it to stay for the evening?

-I'm going out to the woods every morning about 30 miles up in the mountains. What if I catch it and release it up in the woods? Will it return? (There are about 50 other people's chimmneys between here and there, maybe it will take up residence in someone else's woodstove?)

P.S. A screen is not an option. Lot's of softwood and cresote around here. I did install a spark screen when I first installed my chimmney, but it quickly clogged up and I had to remove it. The cap is so high up, I need to rent a man lift to get up there....

Just put the cat in the woodstove.

I did consider this option, however it is not my cat and it is white. I don't think my female neighbor would appreciate this, although the cat would probably have a good ol' time chasing the bird around inside that woodstove...

Chimney swifts

My folks used to get hundreds of chimney swifts in their chimney each summer. They would gather in the evening, circle the area until the whole flock had arrived, then dive down the chimney for the night. Looked almost like somebody was pouring them in. They'd leave in the morning and were gone for the winter before the wood furnace was needed.

P.S. A screen is not an option. Lot's of softwood and cresote around here. I did install a spark screen when I first installed my chimmney, but it quickly clogged up and I had to remove it. The cap is so high up, I need to rent a man lift to get up there....

Maybe your wood isn't dry enough then. Wet wood makes creosote.

Back