Bitten 3 times, in 3 weeks.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We were out picking Blackberries the other day. I hear Mrs Weld say, "there is a wasp" and I got stung before the words even registered in my brain! I came out of that briar patch like a tornado. Mrs Weld grabbed a girl under each arm and beat a hasty retreat. I got stung 6 times by red wasps. Mrs Weld said "Honey are you alright......I did not know you could move so fast" The wasps got to keep that patch of briars!

Just now killed a black wasp that landed on my leg and there was a spider with it!:eek:
I'm pretty sure it's the dirt dauber's that lay their eggs in spiders, and they really like black widows. Maybe coincidence, but the more of those wasps I see around the fewer black widows I come across (and those things really give me the heebie-jeebies).

I ran over a ground nest of yellow jackets moving logs with the compact track loader Saturday, the area around me exploded with activity! Needless to say full throttle even with the load in the grapple, I was lucky and did not get bit.

I ran over a ground nest sat with the brush hog. One of the little buggers got me right at the edge of my eyelid. My face swelled to the point where I could barely see out my eye.

I have to deal with yellow jacket nests everyday in the splice cases we use. Its always one hand opening with a can of spray in the other.

Kill all you can (I do) and you will get fewer stings but you will always get some. The best home remedy for the stings I've found is house hold Ammonia, the kind used for cleaning. If the sting is easy to access, open the bottle, hold opening tight against the sting, and tip the bottle so the liquid covers the sting. If you can't reach the sting area that easily, wet a rag or paper towel and hold it on the sting. This will greatly avoid the amount of swelling and reduce the length of time the sting hurts. Apply the Ammonia as soon as you can for best results. It is cheap and easy to carry along when invading their territory. LOL

Sure enough, works as well or better than those pen things used to dab on them. I've never looked but I bet their main ingredients is ammonia.

I got hit 7 times this weekend, although 5 of them where my fault continuously going back into the bush to kill them. I don't know what they are, haven't seen them before. They are huge midnight blue wasps, all blue no other color. Hurt like a sun of a xxxxx, each bite swelled like a tennis ball. I get bit daily at work from yellow jackets, at this point they feel like a mosquito. Not these suckers.

I'm pretty sure it's the dirt dauber's that lay their eggs in spiders, and they really like black widows. Maybe coincidence, but the more of those wasps I see around the fewer black widows I come across (and those things really give me the heebie-jeebies).
Yup Widows are one thing you have to watch for. Prob a Dauber I never been stung by one I don't think they bother people. Great that they kill spiders. Oh and shake your clothes out good if you hang them on a line ask me how I know!

What is wrong with all you people.... Why would you LIKE my post saying I got the "ever living daylights stung out of me". I didn't like getting stung one bit, I'm glad my pain and suffering is enjoyed by you guys especially lone wolf, pennsywoodburnr, howard270, and HuskStihl. :rolleyes:

What is wrong with all you people.... Why would you LIKE my post saying I got the "ever living daylights stung out of me". I didn't like getting stung one bit, I'm glad my pain and suffering is enjoyed by you guys especially lone wolf, pennsywoodburnr, howard270, and HuskStihl. :rolleyes:
No man, the like was for we can relate to the pain because we all have been there. i am allergic to the damn things and one sting from a Hornet will cause an all over rash and itching from head to toe not to mention swelling like Popeye's fore arms. Yellow Jackets no big deal, Hornets and Wasps look out!

I liked your post cause I can just see myself going back after getting stung and throwing a shovel or rake or something through the nest just to get back at the little buggers. Then coming in after dark and burning them out with a propane torch or some sort of spray. I saw myself in your post. Sorry you had to get stung, but the rest of the story hits home.

The bald face are a real pain, keep your eyes peeled we had a large nest at work and each time we thought we got them all another larger nest would show up a week or two after, the last being built in an upside down 5 gallon pale that was being used as the hat of a scare crow, it filled the better half of the pale.

The bald face are a real pain, keep your eyes peeled we had a large nest at work and each time we thought we got them all another larger nest would show up a week or two after, the last being built in an upside down 5 gallon pale that was being used as the hat of a scare crow, it filled the better half of the pale.
:eek::eek::eek:

I actually just enjoyed u'r pain and suffering:D

In SE Texas we have all manner of creepy crawlies, image.jpg

but the undisputed king of the hill is the fire ant. Absolutely nothing ****s with those little shitheads

I found it comical as well. Sorry. :D

Back