Black Ash

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rmihalek

Where's the wood at?
Reaction score
I was practicing with some throw bags and managed to get two of my three bags stuck in this 75 foot black ash in my backyard, so I decided it was time to start practicing some climbing in order to eventually retrieve these stuck throw bags. My third throw was to a lower crotch (~55 feet) and didn't get stuck so I was able to pull my climbing line up into the tree with that and get things going.

I tied up a split tail system and spent 5 or 6 hours yesterday going up 10 or 15 feet, securing myself with a lanyard, practicing footlocking and controlled descents. Today, I warmed up a bit with the same routine, and then started going higher, tying slipknots in the running end of the line as I ascended, and made it all the way up to the crotch.

At that point I hung around looking for a way to set a new line in a higher crotch so that I could retrieve my stuck gear, but alas, I ran out of daylight.

After descending, I realized that all I needed to do (maybe...) was to climb from the other side of the tree. If that doesn't work, I'll need to arrange to have Moss visit again so I can learn how to deal with this situation.

My daughter took a couple pictures, so I'll try to get them out of her camera and onto the board.

A couple questions:

a) does anyone wear a cup (or some other kind of "package protector") when climbing? There were a couple close calls with "the boys" that could've ended pretty painfully.

b) I had a tough time with the secure footlock, especially when starting out and there wasn't a lot of weight on the rope. Are there any particular type of shoe that works really well with footlocking?

Bouncing the boys off a tree trunk will wake you up fast :) I think that's where the first Tarzan yell came from. Protective gear is a good idea.

I've been buried with work lately, let's schedule some climb time, maybe for weekend after next. Upcoming weekend is booked.
-moss

This rain is really making it tough for outdoor activity. I am going to Peru this weekend (the town in the Berkshires, not the country). But I think its time to hammer out the details of our demo climb eh?

As for protecting the boys, loosen up your legstraps, and get some boxerbriefs.

OTG,

Did we exchange some PMs? I cleared all my old PMs out so I can't recall.

Anyway, I agree that a group of us should get together and do some tree climbing. I live out near Worcester but commute into Cambridge everyday. With the longer days, an afterwork climb is possible for sure.

Bob

Nope

I have been talking with Moss but we haven't had a chance to hook up yet.

I figured the more the merrier, especially since we are all in the same hood.

Back