Blown away by 346XP!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After reading all the posts I would like to get a 346.I picked a 260 pro over the husky last time I purchased a 50cc saw.The 260 has served me well.

Does husky have different versions of the 346? What is available now new?

After reading all the posts I would like to get a 346.I picked a 260 pro over the husky last time I purchased a 50cc saw.The 260 has served me well.

Does husky have different versions of the 346? What is available now new?

Yes they do. There are 3 versions I know of. The xp, xp e-tech, and xpg. The xpg is a heated handle version for cold climates. The xp e-tech has catalytic converter muffler which reduces emissions but greatly increases heat and decreases llongivity of the saw. It should be avoided when purchasing a new 346xp. THe e-tech has a green fuel cap and "e-tech" written on the sticker. The regular xp version has a regular muffler and is the one you should buy. It has a grey fuel cap.

There are several 346xp's on ebay now closing in about 1 hour. I bought one from that seller and got a real good price. Just search for 346xp

P.S. One of the 346xp w/20" bar expired with no bids at $439.....shame

Last edited:
18" is OK, but 16" is even better! :msp_smile:

I cut, loaded, then unloaded over 500' of blowdowns in two days. I think that extra 2" of bar came in handy near the end when I could not bend over any more!!!:hmm3grin2orange:

I was referring to balance and handling - not what is best for any spesific task. :msp_wink:

18" is OK, but 16" is even better! :msp_smile:

I have 16" and 18" for mine.
The 18" is handy sometimes, but the saw cuts faster with the 16" on it.

I've seen this posted many times, but have to respectfully disagree. I guess it depends on whether the use is on hardwood or softwood. In the softwoods we have, I run a 20" bar on my 346xp OE, including felling trees up to 20", and it cuts like going thru butter. No doubt a 16" cuts faster, but in softwoods it has no problems running a 20".

I've seen this posted many times, but have to respectfully disagree. I guess it depends on whether the use is on hardwood or softwood. In the softwoods we have, I run a 20" bar on my 346xp OE, including felling trees up to 20", and it cuts like going thru butter. No doubt a 16" cuts faster, but in softwoods it has no problems running a 20".

I leave a 20" on mine as well. I love the extra reach, and it has no trouble handling it buried in hardwood. It is ported though.

The 3/8 18" setup on my redheaded 346 (also ported by ^) runs awesome. Only the hardest and deadest locust seems to make it sweat when it's over 16".

I was just using my 346xp today around the farm today removing blow downs along the fields and trails from the last storm. After that I started clearing the creek bed, it just makes me want too keep going no real fatigue factor from that one.

Starting out on the small side

Just bought a new 346 XP last week! Sorry, just had to tell somebody! Set up with a 16" Husky bar and Carlton K1 semi chisel. Only on the first tank of gas and I already love this saw. Feels great in the hand and in the cut. I cannot image how much power this thing will gain as it gets run in. It is already head and shoulders above a 350 I had a few years back. I already have a MM Husky 359 with a 20" bar for larger wood so the 346 will probably be my main saw into the future for limbing and smaller hardwood. Currently I have no desire to put a bigger bar on it. Anyways, it's cutting great in some 8" maple I have been working up. As time goes on and I get a few tanks of gas through it I will tackle some larger harder wood, but can't see going with a bigger bar. Believe that should be handled by a bigger displacement saw if you stay with the stock set up. Too me it seems to be a finesse saw. Sure it has power, but why try to make it into something other than what it was designed for? Not to take anything away from the pro's who mod these saws so they can tackle bigger wood with a bigger bar. But in stock form I just do not see the sense in it. I would think it will screw up the balance and feel of this great little saw. So far the manufacturers have not come up with a 11 lb saw that will do it all from light limbing to cutting down the big ones. (I know, I know 562XP, their getting close) LOL At a minimum, IMHO I am a believer in the two saw plan. Stick with the shorter bar and get the balance and power the saw was designed to handle. Go watch the Husky videos online. Those dudes make wood cutting look like fun! If you need the bigger bar, get a bigger saw. :smile2:

Back