Boo Boo wtih new saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Noslo65

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I bought a new Ms 290 Stihl saw. The saw seems to very nice. I have been cutting free wood from local tree removal service, it is up to 36". When adding more oil I must not have tightened the cap and it came off with out me realizing. I noticed that it was spitting out saw dust instead of nice shavings. So I cleaned up the cap best I could, sharpened the chain and refilled the oil. It seemed tp cut good and had nice curly shavings again. Do you think I hurt anything.

It looked like it was kicking out as muck oil as before. The chain was very dry and looked like it had been hot after I realized the cap was off. But the chain still moved freely. It seemed to oil back up ok.

He is luckier that most, me anyway. I usually find out that i didnt put the caps on right when i feel my leg getting oily!

I bought a new Ms 290 Stihl saw. The saw seems to very nice. I have been cutting free wood from local tree removal service, it is up to 36". When adding more oil I must not have tightened the cap and it came off with out me realizing. I noticed that it was spitting out saw dust instead of nice shavings. So I cleaned up the cap best I could, sharpened the chain and refilled the oil. It seemed tp cut good and had nice curly shavings again. Do you think I hurt anything.

You hurt our feelings by not posting pictures of the work done with your new toy.:greenchainsaw:

Welcome!

Welcome to AS, Noslo 65! Not getting the caps on correctly (or at all) is a mistake most of us have made.

Another common mistake is putting a chain on backwards. I always wondered about people that did that until this past Saturday. I drug a top up with my tractor, and since the wood was dirty I changed out my RSC chain with an old loop of RM. Started cutting and all it did was put a divit in the bark.

Here's your sign.... :)

LOL

When I read "Boo Boo with new saw" I thought you might have left a male and a female saw alone by mistake :spam:

Welcome to AS

Did not hurt a thing even if it stopped up the filter it can be
cleaned now don't put oil in the gas hole!

That reminds me of that first time i gassed up the little echo 305 I found along the highway. The gas is in front, the bar oil goes in the back by the handle, completly backwards of any saw I have ever own. It ran fine for about 30 seconds, coughed a bit, and died a miserable death.
It took me almost 15 minutes to figure it what went wrong. I thought I had just picked up a POS, and was ready to throw it under the workbench for a rainy day.
Cleaned it out good, pulled until my arm was sore, pulled the plug several times to clean it off, but it finally fired.
Wont do that again anytime soon........
I hope anyways.

Back