Bookerdog's PNW Freedom Fest Chainsaw Rally

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
33 right now, clear sky, big moon...... garden is toast... :cry:

10 inches of snow 3 miles from us last night; we only got 3-4...

Merely white ground this morning in the Banana Belt. Hey, I think going to this thing is going to save me about $3000! If not for the PNW gathering, I'd be heading to a kayak thing and last year I came close to buying a spendy one that I foolishly got in and tried out. Some new kayakers here bought two of them and have been very snobby about it. And that one I tried out has been stuck in my mind since, so it is a good thing to not go to try out kayaks. Although I am going to try out a used purple one that a good friend has....it is very pretty.

Last edited:
50 and light rain here. It's funny. It's done nothing but rain here all winter but let it go a week without and the ground is cracked.

Ian

Merely white ground this morning in the Banana Belt. Hey, I think going to this thing is going to save me about $3000! If not for the PNW gathering, I'd be heading to a kayak thing and last year I came close to buying a spendy one that I foolishly got in and tried out. Some new kayakers here bought two of them and have been very snobby about it. And that one I tried out has been stuck in my mind since, so it is a good thing to not go to try out kayaks. Although I am going to try out a used purple one that a good friend has....it is very pretty.

Does that mean that now you'll have more time and money to make huckleberry pies and cookies?

Well woke up this morning when Hubby went to work and we have a trace of snow on the ground and more falling from the sky.
Man April 20th and we still have snow!
Hope it goes away in two weeks.

huge heavy flakes coming down right now... looks like it's been coming down for a while as it's sticking... oh well!!! it's so funny seeing a Winter Wonderland in April!!!

Us people from Texas would like to see pictures of all this snow :)

scroll up to posts 123 and 108...

and here's a couple more from Friday. I'm a ways north of the folks who said it was snowing a bit ago....

my green Japanese maple, one of the largest in town...
2428376372_25959cebc5_o.jpg

my red Japanese maple, thinking, "so, this is spring?"
2427563553_1a3cde417d_o.jpg

my flowering crabapple
2423941047_3405442ba0_o.jpg

from north of Snohomish, flowering purple plum
2423940949_058c7f3451_o.jpg

Japanese flowering cherry, turning from pink to white!
2423940585_be0181d985_o.jpg

you think it's pretty....???? my gargen thinks it's death:chainsaw:

actually.. it is kind of nice... Sure do have a lot of birds at my feeders. The swallows are a bit confused though.

So that's where they get snow peas from. Allways wondered that.:)

you think it's pretty....???? my gargen thinks it's death:chainsaw:

actually.. it is kind of nice... Sure do have a lot of birds at my feeders. The swallows are a bit confused though.

Yeah the bird feeder and the squirl feeder have been emptied almost everyday. Poor little things are cold and trying to keep warm by eating like little pigs.
The cats have fun watching all the activity from inside the slider door.

Squirrel feeders? Baiting them is illegal here I think. Do you shoot them with the 22 or a good pellet gun? My mom would love to have me shoot the squirrels that constantly raid her bird feeders but she's a "townie". The police would not like me shooting up the neighborhood.

Ian

Shoot them? and your're coming to the PNW.... Hmmm... I'm putting you on the same list as Gogolit... Initiation hazing.. and if you survive, a temporary permit to enter...

This is the roadcut at 3200 feet at the base of Alpental ski area....that's about 20 feet worth of strata, with the 32" of new snow from 2 weeks ago on top...snowed another 3 feet or so since then...

2368205670_4c31568c3f_o.jpg

Paradise Ranger Station, 5500 feet, at Mt Rainier, just past 800 inches of snowfall for the year.....which is still far below the 1998-99 world record of 1140 inches at Mt. Baker. There's currently 215 inches on the ground at Paradise, but in 98-99, Baker peaked at a 340 inch snowpack!--and 315 inches at 5500 feet at Alpental, just 50 miles from Seattle.

Jackson Hole in Wyoming has had over 600 inches fall, an all-time record. 482 inches at Monarch, Colo. also a record.....Silverton has over 550 inches, a record, prolly several other records in Colorado.....Wolf Creek, in SE Co, averages nearly 500 inches a year of total snowfall, briefly touched 205 inches base depth, back in Feb.....
Alta, Utah has had 672", but 800 or so is their record. Alyeska, 826 inches (But their base depth is 30 inches at near sea level, versus 208" up top...this is typical of the last few years in alaska, where temps really are a lot warmer----permafrost melting earlier, Arctic sea pack ice much reduced....)

Last edited:
Shoot them? and your're coming to the PNW.... Hmmm... I'm putting you on the same list as Gogolit... Initiation hazing.. and if you survive, a temporary permit to enter...

You mean there's not going to be any squirrel stew for the GTG? Hmmm..

Put me on the same list as Gologit... I'm honored kind sir. :)

Ian

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back