Boot Questions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anybody wear Chippewa's? I have a pair of the loggers that I have been wearing day in and day out, and they have held up pretty good for the abuse that they have been in, Very comfortable as well. Couple of co workers have redwings, but they do seem to fall apart pretty easily. Definatly have been happy with my chippewa's, looking at getting another pair very soon. looking at the Super Logger's. Seem to be pretty comfortable, and not a bad price either.

clearance,, whats that old saying ??? "you get what you pay for "

i fly a bucket most of the time,, but when i have to spike,, it really doesn't matter what boot i have because i'm only on them for 2-3 hrs at a time.. thats counting up and down a few trees..

if i had to do it day in and day out,,, i might change my ways... first thing i would do is get better upper pads for my bucks,, before i got a new set of boots...

These are the pads that I upgraded to. I noticed a big difference in comfort but the arches of my feet a still killing me at the end of the day.
http://storesense1.carrierzone.com/HS4814/-strse-107/Buckingham-Cushion-Wrap-Pads/Detail.bok

Years ago J C Pennys used to sell, by order only, climbing boots, in 9 in. & 16 in. varieties. Stacked heal , plus steel shank for comfort. I had 2 pair, comfortable & they wore like iron.

Wescos. I have big feet so boots are hard to find but wesco will build to fit. They also are tough but seem very comfortable even the first time they are worn-doesn't seem to be a "break in" period. Got three pairs-winter, summer, and a spare. Heel pads inside the boots had a tendency to come up on me with a couple pairs i had, but that is my only complaint after 10 years. They start going bad, send them back for repair. Considering the hell i'll put my boots through, my wescos will still last a couple years before needing rebuilt.

Seems to me that wesco's are my best bet,but how many of you have had the mini vibram sole with the steel side plate as opposed to the vibram logger sole?

Unlike the rest of these guys with their logging boots. I am partial to the asolos. They are more of a hiking boot style that sit higher over the ankle and work great with or without spikes. Plus I don't spend as much time in spikes doing mainly prunings and not a lot of removals so I also climb in merrell hiking boots sometimes as well.

Seems to me that wesco's are my best bet,but how many of you have had the mini vibram sole with the steel side plate as opposed to the vibram logger sole?

I have, the sideplate is nice for doing pole work i.e. linesman. Get the lug soles they last longer and are easier on the leather when you get them resoled.

ive worn wesco for years and got a pair of reddogs too!!! i say get rid of them big heavy boots and do your body a favor. i thought wescos were very good and comphy. man was i wrong. i will never go back to big:censored: heavy boots again!!!! EVER. gecko2s and scarpa:clap: all my leg and feet pain is gone:)

ive worn wesco for years and got a pair of reddogs too!!! i say get rid of them big heavy boots and do your body a favor. i thought wescos were very good and comphy. man was i wrong. i will never go back to big:censored: heavy boots again!!!! EVER. gecko2s and scarpa:clap: all my leg and feet pain is gone:)

Thanks for the info but I prefer the big heavy boots. I have had way to many rolled ankles and I need the ankle support.

I wear Wescos 5-6 days a week for 7 years now. I haven't had any trouble with rolled ankles, not once. And the weight is negligible, especially when compared to other handmade or even high end machine made loggers(redwing).

Now that's what i've been looking for - a cold weather boot to climb in. Have you ever been up in spikes with them for hours. With all the steel in regular climbing boots, i can't keep my feet warm for nothin. I'd like to know if your feet actually stay warm or if the boots just make it tolerable.

I wear them when its cold and wet. They work awesome. Feet stay dry and warm. I love them in my spikes as well. Great boots.

I hear hoffman boots are okay, but they have a really stiff steel shank from what I hear. I am looking for more of a tried trued and proven boot, that's why I posted the thread, to get some suggestions before I buy another pair.

You will look very long and hard to find a more tried trued and proven boot. I have never had any but have worked with people who did, and they are a premium boot. When standing on the hooks all day a very strong shank is what I require.
I personally have been wearing Wesco climbing boots for the past few years and they are so much better than the mass produced boots that there is no comparison. But lately I have been wearing corks with a springer heal for take downs and wonder why I did not do it years ago. They are tough, light, very comfortable on the spikes, and have unsurpassed grip on the sole.

I have worn just about every boot you can buy, and still own most of them. since I have two climbers that work for me now and my climbing is an occasional reminder why I own the company, the boots I put on every morning is 12 inch Danner's. When I have a really dangerous or extremely huge tree ( 6 or 7 hour or more tree) I don't subject my climbers to those trees,I climb them my self, and when I do, I grab my Hoffmans. They take forever to break-in, but once you get them broke in they are as comfortable to my feet as I have ever worn. Of course boots are like technique, what works for one climber may not work for another.

Back