boots!!!!!!!!!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reese2011

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
good morning to all! my question to everyone is what boots do you find to be the best for in tree work? ive been useing Hi-tec hikers in the tree and the last time i bought them i liked them so much i bought 3 pairs. problem now is they don't make them anymore. any suggestions, i hate spending good money on crappy boots. thanks to all.

I have been buying a service boot from a sporting good chain(big 5) Their super light, and have really gummy soles. I tryed the Hi-tec
's but they wore out pretty fast, and at 200+ a pop not worth it. I like the 25.00 steel toe service boots better and they last just as long. Best boots for footlocking ever.
I try and buy the best equipment I can, but high price doesn't always mean better.

old school. I go for wesco in the tree and slip a non heeled, flat soled construction boot for the ground and pound. last 2 pairs of redwings fell apart. Im thinking mountaineering boots next. The wesco 16" boot sherrill now carries i've worn for 8 years(not the same pair). love em:rolleyes2:

I picked up these before Christmas. They are like wearing a piece of Oak strapped to your foot for a couple weeks but a some boots. Just enough heel for spikes and great without.

Well so much for attaching a pic. Asolo TPS 520 GV

I'm mailing off my measurements today for a pair of custom Wescos. Never had trouble with my feet before last year. The first few trees last spring were horizontal and laying in water and I made the mistake of wearing cheap rubber knee boots. The rest of last year was misery. Plus my feet seemed to have grown a full size. Lug soles can be pretty tough on limbs but I'm probably finished with gummy soles forever. I have a pair of 16" Hoffmans that have been great boots but are now to tight and a pair of White's Dri-Foots that are the best boots I've ever owned but are tight in the toe box with orthotics. I hope the Wescos are worth waiting for (mid-June) because they cost more that the first car I owned.
Phil

thanks guys for all your info i'm going to let his thread ride for a bit and put every ones thought together before i make a decision. again thanks for all the info.

We have been using Whites for years with great results. They last for years and when you have them rebuilt they come back like new and fit and feel as they originaly did. when you send some of the coustom fit boots back for a rebuild they come back changed and no longer fit as they originaly did. I will say that it takes awhile for them to breakin, but ounce they are broken in they fit and feel like a kid skin glove.

I mainly do removals. I'll snap the metal sole plate on a regular work boot in a few months. Besides, 8 hrs a day in spurs, in a regular work boot, and your feet will go numb.

Bought a pair of Viberg Linesmans. Expensive but worth every penny.

Don't know if they'd be good for "regular" tree work as they may be a bit stiff.

Vasque Sundowner

I wear the Vasque Sundowner. I just do me weekend firewood cutting on the ground. I have bad ankles and these do great and are comfy all day long.

VSQ0021-SNDBK.jpg

I'm mailing off my measurements today for a pair of custom Wescos. Never had trouble with my feet before last year. The first few trees last spring were horizontal and laying in water and I made the mistake of wearing cheap rubber knee boots. The rest of last year was misery. Plus my feet seemed to have grown a full size. Lug soles can be pretty tough on limbs but I'm probably finished with gummy soles forever. I have a pair of 16" Hoffmans that have been great boots but are now to tight and a pair of White's Dri-Foots that are the best boots I've ever owned but are tight in the toe box with orthotics. I hope the Wescos are worth waiting for (mid-June) because they cost more that the first car I owned.
Phil

I wear a pair of Hoffman boots while in the tree, and normally wear caralina boots the rest of the time.

old school. I go for wesco in the tree and slip a non heeled, flat soled construction boot for the ground and pound. last 2 pairs of redwings fell apart. Im thinking mountaineering boots next. The wesco 16" boot sherrill now carries i've worn for 8 years(not the same pair). love em:rolleyes2:

Nothin' like a good pair of boots. Rep'd :)

Ripped though a pair of adtec's they didnt last of s@#t went out last night and bought a pair of carolinas hopefully they will feel better spiking on removals.

I wear Carolinas and have for 20 years. They are as comfortable to me as a pair of sneakers but they don't last very long if you are constantly working in them. I am considering buying a pair of Wescos but I'm on the fence about it... I live and work in a hot climate and the last pair of Wescos I had were hot as hell.

Wesco seems to stretch the leather over the steel toe so the inside is smooth. I recomend them highly for removals. When light trimming big broadleaf trees they're really heavy. So I like using a tough hiking boot. My 1st wesco's had a flat sole because I was flying steel. The soles lasted forever because they were so hard. Little slippery on the ground though.

Ariat ATS lace ups, I get a new pair for Cristmas every year or so ware them for casual were for 6 months, then to climb in, they are the only cheaper of the shelf lace up boot that doesnt roll over in the counter (heel), they still have raw hide in the counter and toe box about $120 was using justin lace up but they lasted 3 months and would roll over.
While in Colorado I got the insulated water resestaint ones went 1/2 size up, and didnt have the 6 months to ware them in so they did blister a little, and the insulated ones are a bit heavier too,
Paul

climbing with spikes or without?
spikes i like redwing loggers
without it depends on your climbing style, but gushy sole and sturdy construction

you get what you pay for.

On spikes i love my Hoffmans. Spikeless i wear NB running shoes or Keen hikers.

....Spikeless i wear NB running shoes or Keen hikers.
This post sent me looking yesterday (online) and I saw some Keens that i liked the look of. Do you know which you like for the spikeless climbing?

Unfortunately, there is not a good store around here to shop for quality hiking boots, so I may just have to try an online store that will cover the shipping on exchanges.

Latest posts

Back