Boots

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mossman, if you're interested in Red Wings pm me. Maybe I can help. I'm not sure how you're boot credit works, but I may be able to save you some cash.

I was off work 6 months a year for 3 years in a row and know how it feels. Fortunately my situation has changed for the better. I'm sure yours will too, but til then, I'll be glad to help with a pair of boots if I can.

Mossman, if you're interested in Red Wings pm me. Maybe I can help. I'm not sure how you're boot credit works, but I may be able to save you some cash.

I was off work 6 months a year for 3 years in a row and know how it feels. Fortunately my situation has changed for the better. I'm sure yours will too, but til then, I'll be glad to help with a pair of boots if I can.

I sent ya a pm bore....thanx

The logger high heels are a pain for most of us except arborists maybe.
I've used the Red Wing hiker/steel toe for awhile now. Comfortable but too low and non-insulated for winter working which is most of the time here. Got them at Winterport Boots in Brewer: good fitting and service but no deals. Check carefully, even some Red Wings are China now.
Also got a pair of Carolinas ( Made in China ) 8", thinsulate insulation, waterproof normal heel lug soles for winter. Online from Sierra Trading Post excellent discounts.

Chippewa....full grain leather, Goodyear welt construction, Vibram soles, brass hardware and laces that never need replaced.....Top quality American made since 1901 but some imports (be careful) and sold at Cabelas......Last longtime!! :)

+1 on the Chips. I've got two pair steel toe and both are serving well.

Matterhorn

I have a pair of 10" Matterhorns that I wear every day. They are the most comfortable shoes I own (they cost around $200) they are warm and keep your feet dry. They are made in USA by Corcoran Boot. I won't buy anything else. They can be re-soled several times before they finally go....good luck

Me and three other guys at work wear Rocky ,gor-tex, steel- toe and we have had good luck with them.

+2 on the Rockys WITH the Goretex...I have a pair that are 11 years old and the soles are plum wore out(1" dia. holes) and they are still 100% waterproof.

Some Red Wings are made in China. Go to a real dealer and most will not be. You can usually tell by the sole.

Scooter: how aggressive is the arch in your White's Outdoorsman boots ? I have a pair of the White's Smoke Jumpers and it has taken a while for my feet to get accustomed to their higher arch.

Have to go with the Red Wings. Same pair of steel toe's since 2004, and have only had to replace the soles once. The replacements were better than the originals. And yes, the most comfortable pair of shoes/boots I own. I wear them everywhere.

ZH

I also like red wings, had nothing but for the last 20 years. The last 3 pair I bought were seconds ( on ebay ) and they all had the same defect, when they punched the holes for the strings they punched a hole in the top of the tounge , they were waterproof and insulated and the hole in the top of the tounge hasnt caused a problem as it is at the top of boot ( probably wouldnt even have noticed it if they didnt tell me ) . they have only cost me 20-30 bucks a pair. They dont have every size every week but if you are patient its hard to beat $30 for red wings.

Some Key Words

I am losing my job in a few weeks and have a boot credit left on payroll. What I need is a rugged outdoor boot for running the firewood processor and yarding my own firewood out of the woods with the quad. I like logger boots, but have a bad back. I find the heel on a regular logging boot a little high. I also have a coupon for Cabela's and they carry several logger boots. Being in Maine, a waterproof and insulated boot would be best.

I don't know if these are what you meant by "regular logger boot" but with a pair of felt liners you'll be warm, and most importantly dry as a bone. I had a tire shop shoot carbide studs (the ones for car tires) into my last pair. They're excellent on ice and you can still drive the truck/wheeler with them on.

vw58r.jpg

+1 for Red Wing. The most comfortable boots I have ever owned. Leather quality and construction is first class, Much better than my over priced Filsons.

Are you talking about Red Wing Loggers?

No. I don't like the high heal style either. I have a pair of Model 815 for working and several pair of a "dress" model that was called the Eric Clapton series-apparently Clapton is a big Red Wing fan, that I literally wear all the time from October to May-even to church. Bought the Clapton models on E Bay for a great price-apparently they didn't sell as well as anticipated.

Bobcat?

The arch in my White's is not high at all, that was one of my question's to Whites, because i have flat feet,lol. I must again say, they are absolutely the best boots I have ever owned. They should last for many many year's as heavy as the leather is.

only had whites for the last 15 years. Won't have anything else. Expensive but they last. $100 boots-8months to a year whites $350 5 years to rebuild do the math and you will come out way ahead with the whites

Back