Bore cut felling?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Daniel talks about common sence. To me cutting a 1/3 or a tad more deep face with about 35degrees on it and a regular back cut and likely omitting the wedging and in the end taking less energy to accomplish, taking less time, and being just as affective. Thats just my take on it, less energy spent is a good thing!

I'm not really sure if I fully understand the use of of the plunge cut if it's used on every tree. Does this mean the saw is plunged behind the hinge and then you cut yourself out to the back of the tree.
I've tried that, but get clostrafobic as it takes a bit longer to pull the saw out as opposed to cutting in toward the hinge.
The tree should let loose really fast though after cutting yourself out, but I always have visions of getting pinched and losing the saw.
Plunging is nothing more than effectively reducing the diameter of the tree, however, this can also be accomplished by cutting "ears" or making your corners a "V" on each side from the hinge to where the backcut will start.
I think it all comes down to dumping the stem as fast as you can with no damage to the butt.
A fast saw is your best friend.
John

I get the feeling that the folks bashing the bore cut have probably never tried it or don't know what they are talking about.

Totally agree with you there....that and when they bash pounding wedges in a bored tree to preload it in one direction vs. the other....when you log and have to cut around houses and trees and high voltage powerlines for 10 years all day everyday...and your job depends on if you hit something......you let me know if you're still working. I've shut a couple cocky kids up real quick. One kid was saying some of the stuff im reading on here..like saying ohhh..pounding wedges in a tree that is bored with just a strap is soooo stupid...so i looked at them...said ok...i dropped my saw where i stood..took off my helmet....and said there you go...now IM gonna watch....(by this time his mood was starting to change)...I was swinging/throwing trees that where hanging over the wires and laying them almost parallel to the wires all day...never touched them......NOW it was his turn (ya know since he knew sooo much more than me)....so he grabbed the saw and he went over there and threw in a face and bored it and cut the strap and....boom...right on the wires it landed.....well with the 5 or 10 thousand dollar power company bill the boss got...he gave the kid got a couple weeks off work without pay....the boss asked me why i let him cut it...and i told him that the kid told me i was doin it wrong and he could do better...so i let him...and the boss was like well...dont let that SOB cut ANYTHING that close to wires or a house again......i said ok....and the boss was like yea i know where you where comming from though..he is a cocky SOB and hopefully that will make him learn something...maybe next time he'll just keep his mouth shut more often...LOL

A fast saw is your best friend.
John

You're exactly right there John....now as far as high production hardwood and softwood falling goes is get it off the stump and on the ground as fast and as safe as possible....take some short cuts where you can and you wont get hurt...take too many and get killed... Is your life worth it?....I would think not...but thats just me..... Main saws over here are 460's, 066's, 385/390xp, 372xp.....ported of course....:)

I've done plenty of bore cuts at the stump, but I only use them for heavy leaners to the lay. Not that log quality matters much in a hazard tree, but I know when one is needed, and it's not often.

Bore cutting when bucking out binds, sure, use it there as well.

Bore cutting has a place, just not every tree IMO.

Every tree is different. So is the placement of your holding wood as well.

Holding wood placement and face cut depths and bore cuts to set up holding wood and backstraps are all variables, they change with the tree.

Save me a place...I'll bring the Sourdough French bread

Done deal Bob... :)

Yup... and I'm done yakkin' with cats on here that think that just because you don't use it for every friggin' tree you don't have a clue, or have never "used" it.

I LOL every time I read people "defend" borecuttin' every tree.

Gary

I've done plenty of bore cuts at the stump, but I only use them for heavy leaners to the lay. Not that log quality matters much in a hazard tree, but I know when one is needed, and it's not often.

Bore cutting when bucking out binds, sure, use it there as well.

Every tree is different. So is the placement of your holding wood as well.

Holding wood placement and face cut depths and bore cuts to set up holding wood and backstraps are all variables, they change with the tree.

Well said. I've used the bore cut, I'll probably use it again. But not unless it's called for.

.I was swinging/throwing trees that where hanging over the wires and laying them almost parallel to the wires all day...never touched them......NOW it was his turn (ya know since he knew sooo much more than me)....so he grabbed the saw and he went over there and threw in a face and bored it and cut the strap and....boom...right on the wires it landed.....well with the 5 or 10 thousand dollar power company bill the boss got...he gave the kid got a couple weeks off work without pay....the boss asked me why i let him cut it...and i told him that the kid told me i was doin it wrong and he could do better...so i let him...and the boss was like well...dont let that SOB cut ANYTHING that close to wires or a house again......i said ok....and the boss was like yea i know where you where comming from though..he is a cocky SOB and hopefully that will make him learn something...maybe next time he'll just keep his mouth shut more often...LOL

You must have a real great boss. If I had a cutter who purposely let some rookie fall a tree into powerlines and it cost me "five or ten thousand dollars" I don't think I'd be that understanding. I think I'd have wonder why anybody in their right mind would allow somebody who really didn't know any better to do something so damn dangerous.
Logging in your part of the country must pay a heck of lot better than it does out here if your boss can afford to spend money like that. If one of my guys did something like that I'd have to figure out whether I could afford to keep him or not. And I think I know what the answer would be.

So, when did the bore cut first start getting used and where ?

I don't recall anyone using it in the 60's.

Just wondering. Not trying to barb this thread.

You must have a real great boss. If I had a cutter who purposely let some rookie fall a tree into powerlines and it cost me "five or ten thousand dollars" I don't think I'd be that understanding. I think I'd have wonder why anybody in their right mind would allow somebody who really didn't know any better to do something so damn dangerous.
Logging in your part of the country must pay a heck of lot better than it does out here if your boss can afford to spend money like that. If one of my guys did something like that I'd have to figure out whether I could afford to keep him or not. And I think I know what the answer would be.
I'll second that brother! Fired out of a cannon!! Both of them for bad judgement. Safety always comes before bravado. Around power lines and houses extra control measures are needed.

Back