Bore cut for felling

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikecross23

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Who uses a bore cut for felling and what situations does this method shine? As spoken of in another recent thread, why not just use a tag line to ensure the direction of the fall and break the first of the hinge fibers?

-Mike-
:confused:

Mike, bore cuts are EXTREMELY useful when felling leaners. It helps to either A. influence the direction of falling, or B. to reduce the likelyhood of a barber chair.

Guys,

Why limit the bore cut to only leaners? The only time I would consider not using one is if the tree had serious indications of rot on the backside (I realize that is not always easy to detect).

IMHO, the advantages of borecut are:

1. Leaves the spar in a more stable condition... i.e., if done right and with good wood - the backstrap will hold. This gives plenty of time to move into the next position and provides opportunity to delay longer if needed.

2. After the bore is done, stick the wedges in: now you've got more things working for you. Plus, the spar is less likely to backup with the wedges in place.

3. Release the backstrap in one of two ways:
3.a. With handsaw if manageable. This cut would be straight out from the bore.
3.b. With chainsaw. This cut would be just below the wedges. Stop when you cross the plane of the borecut

At this point, if you have a leaner, it will likely go. If not, bring out the sledge and use the wedges to work the hinge. With the latter, you eliminate the running chainsaw which is always safer.

Why limit the bore cut to only leaners?

I only use the bore cut where I need it.
It's excessive wear and tear on the tip of the bar.
You'll burn out a sprocket nose prematurely if you use it for boring on a regular basis.

i agree with Kevin on bar abuse, probably good time for a non-bearing tip if a lot of dirty wood or plunging; 3 abuses bearings don't take to well shok, heat and dirt. Also can be dangerous; never do 2 things wrong at once so they can't compound against you ; firm footing, grip, self bracing as anchor, chain brake etc. in this compromised position please, of potential pitching force. Dull a chain doing this and invisiblely captured inside deep kerf cut heat can reaaly build up quick, challenging any tip i think.

If doing it, i keep heat/pressure on tip in mind and butter bar, not bear pressure on tip constantly so it can cool too; also lead with bottom/ bottom corner pressure and not exactly the nose when you can. As always being aware that any cutting actually done with top part of the bar can cause pushback/kickback, any upper tip cutting can cause whip/kickback. Cutting at the 'square' of the tip, can diretclty jam topside/ top corner into cut position in this box it creates, where you can't even see. Reverse coming back for Pulls from cutting on bottom side, that aalso pulls cutting bar into the sheiled of the spar, onto the lever of the bumper spikes. Catching that power and leverage curve to work for you can make the same cutting task much easier.

The 'backsstrap' remote trigger release, must be sound, and doesn't take as much material as some people think if it is. It is positioned in the most leveraged position to resist folding to the face when commonly placed at farthest reach from hinge, leveraging it as far back as possible from the hinge trying to move, powered by the leaner's call to the earth.

One reason for coming very deep into a spar with face would be to undermine the C.o.B. of the fall in a tree without C.o.B. favorably helping, so by moving hinge back deeper into tree, coming closer to C.o.B. being more forwardly set in comparison to hionge in the adjustment. This is only one mechanical choice that the hinge makes in it's manufacture. But with this favorable lean (head leaner), we don't have to bring the hinge deeper (less cutting overall), which puts the 'backstrap' at the severe rear to have more leveraged control til'released, and puts less pressure on it at the same time, and you farther from fall and hinge worx all at the same time. This will also give less sudden release, as the C.o.B. to hinge ratio is softer, but still favorable, so there is more self balallast in the 1st lass lever balance on the hinge, thus less 'ping' in your face on release if hinge is guessed thin. In a Head leaner, i think hinging higher also gives less leverage to lean's pull. Conversley, you might cut lower on a shallow forward leaner to give whatever lean more leverage, if wind pushes against, less leverage of push desired on hinge, cut higher, need more push, wind from behind, cut lower, to give sail more leverage on hinge.

Wedge trick is nice for step lift to opposing side. This puts spring pressure on the system. If Wedge is 10in. for 1" liftthen 10x1 machine - friction, if JP is mad slamming a mini 2#wedge into that 10x1, try to keep him mad until he balances the other side with all of that, then hit that trigger peice (wait until he is clear and done hammering for sure next time).

But, this is all guess work on previous experience. Too thin a hinge / damage per pressure of : C.o.B. + wedge + line pull, can let go violently, softly or not at all when triggered. All by what you pre-set prior to triggering, not what you cut and guide so much in present time. But it can be done at the farthest position from the machine of the hinge motion and spar place-meant, rather than closest position to the works (ending up with bar at hinge , rather than at farthest circumfrence.

Use bore cuts all the time here, wont do the bar no harm if you start the bore cut off centre with the bottom 6" of the bar, dont just try to stab it in or it'll throw you on your back, just let the saw cut slower till its in past the nose sprocket then open it up, after that take the saw out and lightly mark round from the bore cut and start your felling cut an inch or so from the face, and i guarantee your butt cut will be flush.......guess its an art... :cool:

I like to use the bore cut on leaners and in thsoe situations where there is no room for error. I like to make my back cut paralel with my face cut, take my time, cut right to where I want my hinge and make it perfect. Then I can cut it free and watch it fall.

Back