Borrowed a splitter today

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Haywire Haywood

Fiscal Conservative Social Retard
Reaction score
I borrowed a friend's splitter today (well, actually it was a splitter that his mother and her brother went in halves on). It's a craftsman 27 ton unit. 6.5 hp motor and I don't know what gpm pump. I've never run a splitter before other than the 6lb one that resides on the end of a handle. The brother was bragging that he had never put anything to it that didn't get split.

I had it bogged in 15 minutes with a piece of crotchy red oak. I had to come at it from a different direction to get it to pop. All in all, I think this particular splitter would be good for the occasional tough piece but for the normal stuff, I can make better time with the maul till I get tuckered out.

I'd like to find a splitter with a bad engine on the cheap, and put a bigger engine and pump on it. The return time isn't a big issue, cause it will do that faster than I can get the next piece ready, but the actual splitting time once the pump kicks down is painfully slow.

This first experience with hydraulic splitters has cured my want for one. I'll keep swinging my maul while I'm able.

Ian

Last edited:
Tuff Dude

I borrowed a friend's splitter today (well, actually it was a splitter than his mother and her brother went in halves on). It's a craftsman 27 ton unit. 6.5 hp motor and I don't know what gpm pump. I've never run a splitter before other than the 6lb one that resides on the end of a handle. The brother was bragging that he had never put anything to it that didn't get split.

I had it bogged in 15 minutes with a piece of crotchy red oak. I had to come at it from a different direction to get it to pop. All in all, I think this particular splitter would be good for the occasional tough piece but for the normal stuff, I can make better time with the maul till I get tuckered out.

I'd like to find a splitter with a bad engine on the cheap, and put a bigger engine and pump on it. The return time isn't a big issue, cause it will do that faster than I can get the next piece ready, but the actual splitting time once the pump kicks down is painfully slow.

This first experience with hydraulic splitters has cured my want for one. I'll keep swinging my maul while I'm able.

Ian

After reading on here, I purchased the 22 ton Huskee. Not even a grand. I can split for hours wood into little pieces without getting tired. I think it is one of my favorite purchases.

So clearly, you are "the man" when it comes to splitting. I'll take the easy way out and use the splitter!:greenchainsaw: I agree splitting time can get slow. Yet, when I split a bunch of oak, it rarely loaded down. In fact, I run the engine low just to keep noise down and things moving to where I don't hurt myself as these things have some power! I may just be a tad "wimpier" than the average member here:buttkick:

Ian I once though the same thing about hydraulic splitters, but now that I have one I don't think I will ever split with a maul again. Now that I have a splitter I can split wood all day long without braking a sweat, and so far nothing has stopped my little 22 ton SpeeCo. I split this pile of wood in less than a week, working no more than two hours a day.:cheers: That pile came out to be a little over 6 cords of wood.

attachment.php

Last edited:
I've split about 15 cords this fall by hand. Wouldn't have it any other way. Great workout and it gives me a good sense of accomplishment.

I'm not a big guy either, 6'1'' and 185lbs. Most I've done in a day is about 2 cords, but I have been doing it enough routinely that I didn't hurt the next day.

The wife has been threatening to buy a splitter so she can 'help'.:)

8-10 cords is quite a bit of wood and a lot of work, just bending over a standing up the fallen logs can be tiring.

Splitting manually is about the best excercise one can get. You use every muscle in your body at some time during a session. I do a minimum of 6 cord/year but I work at it all summer long. Not a lot at any one session.

As for the bending over part. I am down to attempting to figure out a way to put spike of some kind on the maul (similar to a pickaroon). Haven't be able to come up with anything that wouldn't get in the way though. Setting the maul down and grabbing a pickaroon doesn't seem to gain anything.

Harry K

After thinking about it, 8-10 is probably a stretch. It's closer to 6-8 this year. Last year 6 maybe. I suppose this past summer when I refused to split because it was just too hot outside for much manual labor, this would have allowed forward progress without heat stroke.

Ian

A little tip for maul splitting; I took a dead ATV tire and cut out the bead on both sides and fastened it to a splitting block with 3 2" screws. Works awesome, all the splits stay in the tire and the wood tends to remain standing, if you miss, the maul just bounces off the rubber side. Try it - you'll be surprised.

Latest posts

Back